Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing with Lane Keeper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, now that I think about it. Plugging in doesn't matter because you can plug in a bike rack with lights and still use AP features.

Manual indicated the connection engages Trailer Mode.

9Mtorpl.jpg

I miss not having Lane Keeper available while towing. Any updates if it included with FSD? Will it be available with Cybertruck?

There are good reasons to disable FSD while towing, but keeping the LK would improve safety. I have 2018 X 100 EAP.
Just disable Tow mode. When plugging something in to the lighting connector, the car defaults to tow mode. But you can turn it off,

I bought a Model X specifically for towing, so I have some experience. Autopilot/FSD are problematic for towing:
  • A trailer blocks some of the rear views
  • The tow vehicle doesn't know the full dimensions of the trailer, so it can't determine when there is room to change lanes
  • The tow vehicle doesn't know the performance characteristics of the trailer
I get the OP that it would be nice to have some kind of enhanced cruise control for towing that would simply maintain speed, following distance and lane tracking. Tweet at Elon and maybe it'll happen someday...

I bought a Model X specifically for towing, so I have some experience. Autopilot/FSD are problematic for towing:
  • A trailer blocks some of the rear views
  • The tow vehicle doesn't know the full dimensions of the trailer, so it can't determine when there is room to change lanes
  • The tow vehicle doesn't know the performance characteristics of the trailer
I get the OP that it would be nice to have some kind of enhanced cruise control for towing that would simply maintain speed, following distance and lane tracking. Tweet at Elon and maybe it'll happen someday...
All except lane keeping are able to happen with cruise control on an X towing. I also only purchased the 90D MCU2 w/FSD X for towing.

Towed our camper to Holley High Voltage with our hardrace arm(s) equipped X, have since decided to sell it and upgrade to a Raven X for the range increase.

All except lane keeping are able to happen with cruise control on an X towing. I also only purchased the 90D MCU2 w/FSD X for towing.

Towed our camper to Holley High Voltage with our hardrace arm(s) equipped X, have since decided to sell it and upgrade to a Raven X for the range increase.
Agreed, but I would suggest that "towing cruise control" should be much more conservative in acceleration and deceleration than normal.