Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing with Tesla Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang... forum newbie here just posting an informational video re: towing with your Tesla Model Y LR.

When deciding whether or not to purchase a MY to tow our 4,100 lb. boat/trailer setup in Texas, it was tough to find reliable information online of other people exceeding the rated 3,500 lb. towing capacity of the vehicle and Tesla factory hitch. After talking with Tesla engineers who all said the car is overengineered in this regard, we pulled the trigger and haven't looked back.

We now frequently tow our 21 ft. boat + trailer (~4,100 lb. total) roughly 7 miles from dry storage to the lake and back, including a 1/2 mile-long 10% grade. I've also towed it around town 40-50 miles at a time. Previously, we towed our setup using a friend's old Dodge 2500 HD or newer Silverado Z71. The Tesla feels like the strongest, and can even accelerate up the aforementioned hill -- while the pickups struggled to maintain speed. We've been towing 1-2x/month for a year and a half, and haven't noticed any impacts on the vehicle except for possibly a bit more rear tire wear. The best part? Pickup owners looking at you shocked: "You can tow THAT with a Tesla!?" :)

We average around 750 Wh/mi when towing (instead of ~270 Wh/mi when not), so no doubt it cuts range down significantly... but it's better than using a half-tank of diesel! Here's our quick video demonstrating the setup:

Thanks for reading, and happy motoring!

Some insight to SAE J2807, which may be useful to others who want to know what defines the tow rating of a vehicle, rather than the tow rating of the equipment.

Reactions: dayeomans
Hey gang... forum newbie here just posting an informational video re: towing with your Tesla Model Y LR.

When deciding whether or not to purchase a MY to tow our 4,100 lb. boat/trailer setup in Texas, it was tough to find reliable information online of other people exceeding the rated 3,500 lb. towing capacity of the vehicle and Tesla factory hitch. After talking with Tesla engineers who all said the car is overengineered in this regard, we pulled the trigger and haven't looked back.

We now frequently tow our 21 ft. boat + trailer (~4,100 lb. total) roughly 7 miles from dry storage to the lake and back, including a 1/2 mile-long 10% grade. I've also towed it around town 40-50 miles at a time. Previously, we towed our setup using a friend's old Dodge 2500 HD or newer Silverado Z71. The Tesla feels like the strongest, and can even accelerate up the aforementioned hill -- while the pickups struggled to maintain speed. We've been towing 1-2x/month for a year and a half, and haven't noticed any impacts on the vehicle except for possibly a bit more rear tire wear. The best part? Pickup owners looking at you shocked: "You can tow THAT with a Tesla!?" :)

We average around 750 Wh/mi when towing (instead of ~270 Wh/mi when not), so no doubt it cuts range down significantly... but it's better than using a half-tank of diesel! Here's our quick video demonstrating the setup:

Thanks for reading, and happy motoring!
Nice. I tow a Ski Nautique 196 (19'6"); all told it is right around 3,500#. Best tow vehicle I've ever owned (although our MB GLK250 twin turbo diesel is really good from an economy standpoint). I tow about 12 miles each way, mainly flat on a freeway and an expressway. I think my average is in the 600wh/mi range which seems to align with what you're getting with a 4,100# trailer (I'll check it again tomorrow morning when we go skiing). I'll never be able to drive 80 miles each way to go to the Sacramento Delta without having to charge, which is too bad. So I'll use the diesel for longer trips, but for short trips, it's great. Oh, I'm not too thrilled about the amount of drop with the tongue weight. I measured it, and it is about 310#, so 40# under the hitch rating. But it's obvious when you look at the car with the trailer hitched up. Sure wish they had an air suspension option.