Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing with the new 16v battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lithium LV battery has much less capacity than the older lead acid 12V battery. Without PCS power it drains twice as fast (<10 minutes in my experience) as the car pulls ~20A when powered on.

When airbags and pyrofuse blow, the vcfront will cut off power the half of the car in order to give occupants more time to exit the car and grab their belongings before the LV battery drains to zero.
The inference being the difference between the 4s ~12V-16.8V Li Ion VS a 4S ~8V-14.4V LFP, the latter, I think, being in the happy voltage range without stepping the voltage common 12Vdc components typically expect and wouldn't cause conflicts.

It might be that even with buck losses it makes more sense to go that way with a stable linear output VS what seems logical, no voltage stepping losses or equipment with far more cycle life out of the LFP for the LV system?

Would like to better understand what the driving factors where that influenced that decision.

Deep cycling a lead acid like that was always a recipe for poor life/performance from my understanding.

Its possible I'm misunderstanding the whole point also...

PXL_20230128_230135939~2.jpg

PXL_20230128_230101738.jpg

We have our trailer - didn't get a chance to clean the car, but all is well otherwise!!

inTech RV Sol Dawn (base model).

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, I pulled my utility trailer for the first time last week. As I expected, there was no communication with my Tekonsha Prodigy RF controller; presumably because it didn’t receive power from the +12V pin. I had no trailer brakes, but it wasn’t a big deal for this 1,100-lb empty trailer. I would use my Expedition if I were loading it beyond 2,000 lbs or so.
IMG_3049.jpeg

Thank you for that quick response. I’m trying to help someone with their install. I recommended our Tekonsha that we have in our model Y but ours has the 12 volt. Our friends have the 16 volt so was wondering if it was going to be a problem.
As long as the brake controller uses the wiring (and pigtail that you have to buy from Tesla separately for about 5 bucks), then things should be good. But if it's a wireless/Bluetooth/RF controller, then it requires power from the 12v pin at the trailer plug, and that doesn't currently work for the cars with the Li-Ion batteries. Supposedly there will be some sort of fix, but there has been no news about it since Tesla made the switch to those batteries some time in either late 2021 or early 2022, from my understanding.

Reactions: TomB985
As long as the brake controller uses the wiring (and pigtail that you have to buy from Tesla separately for about 5 bucks), then things should be good. But if it's a wireless/Bluetooth/RF controller, then it requires power from the 12v pin at the trailer plug, and that doesn't currently work for the cars with the Li-Ion batteries. Supposedly there will be some sort of fix, but there has been no news about it since Tesla made the switch to those batteries some time in either late 2021 or early 2022, from my understanding.
Ok thanks. Ours is a 2022 and has the 22 volt but I think we were on the cusp.

Re the charge line to the trailer battery. I have heard that this is either disabled or stepped down on the 16 volt cars. And Input on that?

Thanks again.

Ok thanks. Ours is a 2022 and has the 22 volt but I think we were on the cusp.

Re the charge line to the trailer battery. I have heard that this is either disabled or stepped down on the 16 volt cars. And Input on that?

Thanks again.
It would need to be stepped down, but it hasn't yet for whatever reason. That's why it's non-functional on the Model Y's that use that particular battery. It's the same line/pin that would power a wireless brake controller.

Did you find a supported brake controller for your Model Y?

I have a 22 MYLR w factory towing. Tesla's low voltage system sends 15.5 v to the brake controller wires. Prodigy-Tekonsha told me their operating range doesn’t support 15.5. Tesla disconnected the Aux power to the 7 pin. Which ruled out the RF solution I have.

RedArc has a 24v controller that can handle the 15.5 v. but there was an issue with Tesla and RedArc wiring working out of the box,

I worked with the Rocklin CA GM and team for two years trying to get a supported solution.

I have a Nucamp TAB 320S Boondock, perfect rig if I can find a supported brake controller. In the meantime , it’s bricked.

Has anyone gotten an answer on if brake controllers will work with the new Model Y's that have the 16v li-ion batteries? The manual says that the connection is there (when the tow package is installed), but the talk is that the power for the brake controller doesn't work. And I can't seem to get a straight answer from my local Service Center...

I'm looking to tow a RV in the future, and if it's over 1600 lbs, the manual says a brake controller is necessary...

I have a 22 MYLR w factory towing. Tesla's low voltage system sends 15.5 v to the brake controller wires. Prodigy-Tekonsha told me their operating range doesn’t support 15.5. Tesla disconnected the Aux power to the 7 pin. Which ruled out the RF solution I have.

RedArc has a 24v controller that can handle the 15.5 v. but there was an issue with Tesla and RedArc wiring working out of the box,

I worked with the Rocklin CA GM and team for two years trying to get a supported solution.

I have a Nucamp TAB 320S Boondock, perfect rig if I can find a supported brake controller. In the meantime , it’s bricked.

I don't have my Model Y anymore, but the brake controller that I had installed was just your average, cheapo brake controller. Nothing fancy, and I didn't research voltages. I didn't think that voltage even mattered for the controller signaling wire, anyway... it would really just affect the aux line.

I don't have my Model Y anymore, but the brake controller that I had installed was just your average, cheapo brake controller. Nothing fancy, and I didn't research voltages. I didn't think that voltage even mattered for the controller signaling wire, anyway... it would really just affect the aux line.
People are installing the Tekonsha P3 on the 15.5 volt systems with no issues. We have a 2022 with the 14.4 volt (12 volt) system.

15.5 is within the tolerances of 14.4 (12 volt) systems.