Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing with Uhaul

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doghousePVD

My grandfather’s car
Dec 3, 2018
New England, USA
Most Uhaul trailers do not have tongue jacks. Usually not a problem for ICE vehicles, but can be a major problem for EVs that may have to unhitch to charge.

I carry a small scissor jack. Doesn’t have to be strong since the tongue weight is less than 500 lbs if you have loaded your trailer properly. Teslas do not come with any jack.

Very important - bring wheel chocks! There are no parking breaks and the jack is very unstable.

You’ll also need a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter, available at the Uhaul store and most auto parts stores.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
huh, jack has nothing to do with EV or ICE. every u-haul (or tag trailer, for that matter) comes with a manual jack attached near the tongue.

It does matter because ICEs don't have to unhitch the trailer in order to fuel at a pump, but Teslas almost always will have to, and most CCS charging stalls will require other EVs to unhitch as well.

Also, U-Haul's own website shows no attached jack on their trailers.

Reactions: doghousePVD
It does matter because ICEs don't have to unhitch the trailer in order to fuel at a pump, but Teslas almost always will have to, and most CCS charging stalls will require other EVs to unhitch as well.

Also, U-Haul's own website shows no attached jack on their trailers.

i'm intimately familiar with towing and charging with the x and have both unhooked, and pulled through to charge.

again, not all uhuals have jacks:

PXL_20210409_212409187.jpg