Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing with your X? New Alto model: 21 ft lightweight camper trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point, we've concluded every option has advantages & disadvantages - and will have to decide what compromises we are willing to make, or if this is even something we want to do. Would be much easier if there was one option that was significantly better - and very close to what we want, which isn't the case.
Bob, agreed, there are always trade offs. My suggestion to you is to start your own thread in the Model X Driving Dynamics forum and lay out your desired trailer characteristics (I’ve been following your posts but don’t have a clear sense of your criteria, apologies if I have missed them) and then outline the pluses and minuses of the different trailers that you have researched to date. Then others can comment, and everything is in one thread. I think it would be a very useful reference for other X owners who are interested in towing a trailer and are new to trailer camping. I started my research in fall 2016 and it took me months to make a decision.

Reactions: Cowby
Based on the number of posts, it feels like there is still a relatively small number of X owners that are towing trailers. If there are more, it would be very helpful for those considering the plunge - to see their experiences, in addition to the few who have done a pretty good job reporting their experiences.

We don't mind being pioneers - it was pretty challenging to take road trips in our S P85 before there were superchargers... Though if others are already having a positive experience in towing - any advice they can provide to other X owners - would help considerably...

Bob, see the link I posted to start this thread Safari Condo

Also see this page on the manufacturers website Caravanes (Alto) – SÉRIE F21 – 2114 | Safari Condo

Regarding US support: Safari Condo has no US dealers. US buyers can either take delivery at the factory in Quebec or, if they live in a border state, the company allows them to take delivery at various Safari Condo dealers in Canada. Although I do not live in a border state, I persuaded the company to let me take delivery at their dealer near Vancouver, Getaway RV. (it took some persuasion!). I do not know your location so cannot advise you any further on that. Many eastern or midwest US buyers take delivery in Quebec or at a dealer in London Ontario, Can-Am RV. I

For support in the US, Safari Condo will reimburse owners who are under warranty when they get repairs made in the US. US owners seem pretty satisfied with the situation.

ecarfan - I've been doing research on the Alto F1743 and am seriously considering ordering one. Did you order yours through Getaway RV or through Safari Condo? I live in Sacramento and being able to pick it up near Vancouver would be a huge plus. Thanks for any tips of persuasion you can share.
Best, Mark

Reviving this thread to check in with you two; did you end up buying a trailer to two with your X?
We don't mind being pioneers - it was pretty challenging to take road trips in our S P85 before there were superchargers... Though if others are already having a positive experience in towing - any advice they can provide to other X owners - would help considerably...

ecarfan - I've been doing research on the Alto F1743 and am seriously considering ordering one. Did you order yours through Getaway RV or through Safari Condo? I live in Sacramento and being able to pick it up near Vancouver would be a huge plus. Thanks for any tips of persuasion you can share.
Best, Mark
I picked up my Alto F1743 at Getaway RV in Abbottsford, B.C. Of course the US/Canadian border is closed at the moment for that kind of travel.

And now Safari Condo has come out with their largest RV so far: the 24 ft dual axle F2414 model. The main differenceS from the F2114 is it has a separate shower space and a comes standard with a sink in the toilet space, plus a longer kitchen counter and of course more storage space inside. Dry weight 2,947 lbs, so easily towable with an X Alto F2414 Travel Trailers | Safari Condo

F45826E9-9B2D-43BC-BFF4-A6F94A3D020F.jpeg

Reactions: Kacey Green
I picked up my Alto F1743 at Getaway RV in Abbottsford, B.C. Of course the US/Canadian border is closed at the moment for that kind of travel.
Just an update: I recently learned that Get-Away RV in Abbotsford (near Vancouver), a Safari Condo dealer, will deliver to US customers by driving the trailer just across the border (about 100 yards) to the town of Sumas WA where you can take delivery.

Well, after a year of dithering and a side excursion into Bowlusland, we bought an Alto F2114 last week. We will have to wait one year for delivery. We considered the other Alto F-series models, and the F2114 hit the Goldilocks spot.

Time to learn about camping and trailering. We will need to scour the archives on Tesla Motors Club forums and on the Altoistes Facebook group. Any help from Model X campers will be appreciated.

Reactions: Kacey Green and KJD
A tidbit of interesting corroboration: an Altoiste on Facebook has been keeping track of mpg efficiency whilst towing 100,000 kilometers with a Honda Ridgeline. He has found the same results towing the F2114 as towing the F1743. This is what ecarfan predicted for the 21-foot model. Go ecarfan!

And I like this result too since I ordered an F2114!

Also noted was a slight towing efficiency improvement when a canoe is mounted on the Ridgeline's roof. The mysteries of aerodynamics for the non-aerodynamicists.

I'm looking forward to picking up my A2124 at the showroom in November. I hope I can get across the border from Maine. This would be "commercial" visit, picking up a new trailer and being in Canada for only a few hours. The Safari Condo sales office is about two hours from border, and there is a supercharger at Levis (very near the office).

I'm looking forward to picking up my A2124 at the showroom in November. I hope I can get across the border from Maine. This would be "commercial" visit, picking up a new trailer and being in Canada for only a few hours. The Safari Condo sales office is about two hours from border, and there is a supercharger at Levis (very near the office).

Hope the border is open for you come November. Safari Condo has trucked Eastern US August deliveries to an RV dealer in Kirkville, NY.

Does the Safari A2124 Alto come with Air Conditioning, or is it an option?

If not, would it be possible to retrofit it with a Mini-Split AC unit. Would like to buy one, if AC is possible.
Check the Safari Condo website, but I believe a heat pump is an option for those who want chilled air in the trailer. It works reasonably well, I have one in my Alto F1743.

Installing a split AC unit would be difficult in an Alto due to the nature of the trailer wall construction: it’s not designed to support weight, but I suppose it would be possible.

Check the Safari Condo website, but I believe a heat pump is an option for those who want chilled air in the trailer. It works reasonably well, I have one in my Alto F1743.
Installing a split AC unit would be difficult in an Alto due to the nature of the trailer wall construction: it’s not designed to support weight, but I suppose it would be possible.

These trailers are made in Quebec. Very few Canadians bother to cool their homes. Just not necessary