Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing without the Towing Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Model X 75D. I ordered the (then free) accessory hitch.
I received the 2 inch hitch and the wire harness is visible near the hitch receiver. It says Bosal on the hitch. I believe it looks the same as what the tow package would have.

However, the Tesla reps said that it is definitely not the towing package as it lacks the steel reinforcement on the inside. Is it possible that they are not aware, and that it actually has that?!? (someone earlier on this thread mentioned they may not have had a chance to get the planned accessory hitch on there, and so they had to install the tow package)

But there is definitely no "tow" option on the control screen. But perhaps it just requires an update?

Also, the accessory hitch is apparently only rated for 120 pounds, and the only place that this number is noted is on Tesla's new bike rack.
Tesla — Model X Hitch Rack
I want to attach a cargo carrier onto this hitch but it weighs 110 pounds, and it would only give me 10 more pounds to put stuff in.

Thanks for your thoughts!
AFAIK, we're still in the dark as to there actually being additional reinforcement for the full tow package. That's what DS's say, but nobody has disassembled the bumper on an accessory hitch and a tow package vehicle side by side to compare. I've also read mixed opinions on if accessory hitch people have the Tow Mode option on their touch screen (which does various things, such as disabling autopilot, and different sway control to account for the extra weight back there).

Don't have my MX yet, but doesn't the bosal adapter for both Tow and AH have the same safety label on them that states tongue weight 350ibs for 22" tires and 500lbs for 20" tires? If so, wouldn't it be a bit of a liability for Tesla to use a receiver hitch with less than that rating? My current 1.25" receiver hitch on my old ICE car is rated at 250lbs and I am hard pressed to find Class III 2" receiver hitches that have less than 400lbs tongue weight. I will not need or test 500lbs on my new MX Class III hidden hitch, but I will have 4 bikes (average 30 lbs per bike) or occasionally up to 200lbs of cargo on an aluminum tray with StowAway SwingAway arm I just ordered. The arm has a capacity of 250lbs, so even adding the weight of the arm and tray/rack there should be no need to worry about the much higher tongue weight limits.

I've also read mixed opinions on if accessory hitch people have the Tow Mode option on their touch screen
I ordered my P90D with accessory hitch and no tow option. I am pretty sure I had the Tow Mode button/slider on my touch screen at the time of delivery, and then at some point it disappeared. I don't know if it has been removed OTA because I haven't paid for the towing package, or if it would pop up again if it detected something plugged into the connector.

For those who do have the towing package, does the "Tow Mode" button display constantly or is it dependent on having a trailer's electrical wiring plugged into the car's connector?

For those who do have the towing package, does the "Tow Mode" button display constantly or is it dependent on having a trailer's electrical wiring plugged into the car's connector?
I can confirm that the Trailer Mode toggle is always present with the towing package. I have never hooked up a trailer or even the hitch since I've had my X but it's still there as it was at delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: Xponential
Any new info on this? Turns out that our X75D with accessory hitch was also delivered with the same 2" basal adaptor & safety label than the Tow package. There is no Tow mode in our settings.
Also, when connecting the Tesla bike rack, there is an annoying beep & red stop on screen when going reverse, which surely comes from the rear ultrasonic sensors detecting it (even with no bikes). I would think that Tesla would bring a software option to declare or detect the presence of such accessory. I sure hope that the obstruction of the rear sensors does not block the activation of Autopilot on the highway (didn't have a chance to try).

I have the 2" accessory hitch on my 75D, but the cover under the car has 2 hex looking bolts rather than the single slit for a screw driver. I haven't tried to force the cover off, I am taking the car in on the 14th for a couple of trim items and will have them deal with it. Has anyone else seen this?

Any new info on this? Turns out that our X75D with accessory hitch was also delivered with the same 2" basal adaptor & safety label than the Tow package. There is no Tow mode in our settings.
Also, when connecting the Tesla bike rack, there is an annoying beep & red stop on screen when going reverse, which surely comes from the rear ultrasonic sensors detecting it (even with no bikes). I would think that Tesla would bring a software option to declare or detect the presence of such accessory. I sure hope that the obstruction of the rear sensors does not block the activation of Autopilot on the highway (didn't have a chance to try).
The sensor issue with hitch mounted racks happens with other cars as well. I have used Autopilot with bikes on the back and the rack folded up (which produces more warnings for me since my bikes are mostly carbon fiber) with no issues.

I have the 2" accessory hitch on my 75D, but the cover under the car has 2 hex looking bolts rather than the single slit for a screw driver. I haven't tried to force the cover off, I am taking the car in on the 14th for a couple of trim items and will have them deal with it. Has anyone else seen this?

Any luck getting that hex panel off? I looked underneath and I have the same. Just curious.

Any luck getting that hex panel off? I looked underneath and I have the same. Just curious.
Could one of you post a picture of what it looks like? The minds here may have some suggestions.

Cheers!

Could one of you post a picture of what it looks like? The minds here may have some suggestions.

Cheers!

When I brought my car in, I was told the cover is a new design. The two bolts pop out by using a pair of pliers, there are 2 indents on the bolt washer where you place the pliers and pull down. Once you have removed both bolts, you can remove the cover.

All my hitch hardware including electrical was there, installed at the factory. If I want to use the electrical component, they want $750 to enable the software. I will wait until I need it since I most use it for my bikes.

I will try to post pictures tomorrow.

When I brought my car in, I was told the cover is a new design. The two bolts pop out by using a pair of pliers, there are 2 indents on the bolt washer where you place the pliers and pull down. Once you have removed both bolts, you can remove the cover.

That sounds like the screwdriver/slit design and not the hex design.
img_3150-jpg.218670

That's the same one I showed. When it was posted as "hex" i was thinking of something looking like an inverted hex bolt:
images

Re-reading I see they mentioned two hex panel. As far as I'm aware there was only 2 designs.

Design 1 on page 72:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_x_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

It's a key type where you just turn to unlock the cover.

Design 2 is the one we posted. You can use pliers, I usually use a flathead screwdriver. Insert it into the slit and pry it down. The center piece is inserted into the "washer" which causes it to clip. By prying the center piece away from the cover, it releases the panel clip. After you pry it out slightly, you can pull the entire clip out - washer and center piece stays together. This does not require a lot of force.

They work just like in this video