Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After towing, I removed the hook and kind of reattached the plastic protection cover/ plate. It seemed okay, but it probably wasn’t tight enough; I lost this plate.
Tesla sent me a new one including 2 screws, rings and 2 metal small parts.
I have no clue how have to use these. Does anyone know how to attach/ use these (or has a photo of the original set up)?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 105
FWIW, my March 2018 build's flap is different from what was described in the owners manual. The manual shows one "latch" that you turn to release whereas mine actually has the two push-in connectors similar to what you show. Not exactly the same, just similar. Mine has two pins that you pop part way out to release. When you push them in, they expand in the inside holding the cover in place.

I found this image on the internet which is close to what my car has:
41yZ4VMGtFL._SY355_.jpg

Mine is not threaded; it just slides up and down. When you pry it up, the shaft collapses and looks like the picture. When you press it down, the shaft expands out. I believe they call it a "plastic rivet". What you do is push this through the hole in the cover and the corresponding hole on the car's underpan, then push the "button" in and it expands... like a rivet... and holds the cover in place. You pop it open by prying the button to the open position with a small screwdriver.

My car does not have pieces that look like what you posted.

After towing, I removed the hook and kind of reattached the plastic protection cover/ plate. It seemed okay, but it probably wasn’t tight enough; I lost this plate.
Tesla sent me a new one including 2 screws, rings and 2 metal small parts.
I have no clue how have to use these. Does anyone know how to attach/ use these (or has a photo of the original set up)?

You don’t need the metal parts, you should have those already since you had the cover. Just slide the long piece into the ring. Then push it into place. It’ll lock into the metal piece that’s already on your car.

Last edited: