Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that’s the case then he never should have mentioned 300,000 pounds.

If anyone confuses the statement that "the truck is able to tow 300k pounds [on level ground at low speed]" with "the truck will be approved and rated for towing a load of 300k pounds on public roads in normal speeds" needs to cailbrate one's expectations to reality.

Regarding towing, the rear of the Cybertruck is so large that it may offer aerodynamic advantages when towing small travel trailers like mine. The truck shape will deflect a lot of air before it reaches the front of the trailer. This photo posted on Reddit, by user QSH2426 illustrates my point. A counter-argument is that the sharp corners of the truck will create turbulence hitting the front of the trailer which will worsen the aerodynamics. Needs real world testing.

57CB6AF6-867B-4705-BB7A-2DE73A4EB0E2.jpeg

There was a poll on what people plan on towing with their trucks. Majority said they plan on towing a boat. I only launch my boat in fresh water but I am curious as to how Salt water will effect an electric vehicle. I mean on some launches you literally have to have most of the rear in the water. Let's see how well one will hold up under those conditions over time.

There was a poll on what people plan on towing with their trucks. Majority said they plan on towing a boat. I only launch my boat in fresh water but I am curious as to how Salt water will effect an electric vehicle. I mean on some launches you literally have to have most of the rear in the water. Let's see how well one will hold up under those conditions over time.
Two EV trucks 'coming soon' have a wade depth of 3 feet. Rivian specifically says you could go depper, but the truck would float away.

They don't seem worried about water incursion into the battery and electronics.

Reactions: israndy
More concerned about what might happen with exposing it to salt water.
That is absolutely a legitimate concern. Not, I think, more than any other vehicle (or trailer or boat motor).

Rinse any exposed areas with fresh water ASAP. I think most salt water boaters are familiar with that refrain. :(

I wonder if a sacrificial anode attached to the skin of the truck would help, as they use on outdrives?

Reactions: doghousePVD
There is a big difference in pulling and towing. Towing there is a significant % of the trailer weight on the tow vehicle, tongue or hitch weight. Pulling is just that, pulling another object that is supporting its own weight.

Reactions: Tomc62
Looking at a shot of the "side mirror" cameras in the wheel arches are there any thoughts on how cybertruck will deal with the need to see behind a travel trailer?
I had the same thought. With the cameras you can’t add extended tow mirrors. Unless they make a plug in camera extension that sticks out further? Or mirrors that clip in the door frame?

Looking at a shot of the "side mirror" cameras in the wheel arches are there any thoughts on how cybertruck will deal with the need to see behind a travel trailer?

Perhaps a thin camera extender that mounts to (or slides out of) the rear lift gate? Or maybe wireless wi-fi/bluetooth cameras that could mount on the trailer and display in the pickup?