Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings. I have a 2021 MYLR. The manual suggests a tongue weight of 350 pounds. I am interested in the AirStream BaseCamp 16X. The trailer is 2700 pounds and can accommodate to a GVWR of 3500 pounds. The tongue weight of the trailer is unfortunately 450 pounds. Can rearranging cargo so that some of the weight is behind the axle work to reduce the tongue weight?

Greetings. I have a 2021 MYLR. The manual suggests a tongue weight of 350 pounds. I am interested in the AirStream BaseCamp 16X. The trailer is 2700 pounds and can accommodate to a GVWR of 3500 pounds. The tongue weight of the trailer is unfortunately 450 pounds. Can rearranging cargo so that some of the weight is behind the axle work to reduce the tongue weight?
I used to tow an Airstream nest with my Model Y. It was 3500lbs with a 350lb tongue weight. Granted it was within spec, but I prefer to tow under the max ratings.

To accomplish this, I removed the two lead acid batteries from the front exterior and replaced them with 2 lithium ion batteries located inside the cab.

Not sure where the batteries are located on the Basecamp, but try starting there.

Thanks Glide. However after back and forth e-mails with Airstream, it would appear the tongue weight can't be safely reduced in the Basecamp. To bad as I really wanted a Basecamp.
Yep. Sorry it didn’t work out. The Basecamp seems like an otherwise perfect match for the Y.

Odd that for a 2500GVW trailer they have that much weight up in the tongue.

I did some research into towing with an ev. First you're going to be lucky to get 100 miles between charging with a good aerodynamic trailer. General rule is tongue weight is about 10% of trailer weight. The Airstream is not a good choice due to it's 8'8" height. Like hauling a sail behind you. I'm retired and wanted a few refinements and narrowed myself to some teardrop camper models like these and still fell into specs. I have a nice tent from REI, etc. and when my Model Y arrives I'll have camp mode for when the nights get uncomfortable. :cool:

Reactions: tm3lrawd
I did some research into towing with an ev. First you're going to be lucky to get 100 miles between charging with a good aerodynamic trailer. General rule is tongue weight is about 10% of trailer weight. The Airstream is not a good choice due to it's 8'8" height. Like hauling a sail behind you. I'm retired and wanted a few refinements and narrowed myself to some teardrop camper models like these and still fell into specs. I have a nice tent from REI, etc. and when my Model Y arrives I'll have camp mode for when the nights get uncomfortable. :cool:

Did you get a teardrop camper for your MY?

The Alto R, with retractable roof, has gotten some good reviews for towing behind EVs.

EV are pretty capable for towing, however range is reduced and on the road Supercharging often requires disconnecting your trailer when charging.

Reactions: tm3lrawd