Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We completed a short trip from Bakersfield to Paso Robles towing our 3,300 lbs AS. The car was fully loaded, 4 occupants, and the outside temp. was a hot 106 degrees. We kept the interior temp at 75 degrees and the range mode on while we cruised at 55 mph. We stopped off at Buttonwillow and left there with 222 miles. We logged 82.5 miles to Paso Robles which was mostly uphill and had 42 miles reserved.
AS.jpg

Good to know! We got the towing package to tow our 2,000lb camper+bikes but are really worried about how it will affect the range. Sounds like it cut yours in half. Not great for long road trips!
The car has 22" wheels so towing capacity is 3500.
He is almost at that with the 3300 AS. Fully loaded car inside...
Then add the following comment..
We logged 82.5 miles to Paso Robles which was mostly uphill
This is a good data point but not sure if it is enough data to say "it cuts the range in half".

Can't wait to experiment when my X comes in.

We completed a short trip from Bakersfield to Paso Robles towing our 3,300 lbs AS. The car was fully loaded, 4 occupants, and the outside temp. was a hot 106 degrees. We kept the interior temp at 75 degrees and the range mode on while we cruised at 55 mph. We stopped off at Buttonwillow and left there with 222 miles. We logged 82.5 miles to Paso Robles which was mostly uphill and had 42 miles reserved.
View attachment 188845

I see you have the 22" wheels. I thought the towing weight limit with 22" wheels is 2500 lbs?

Thanks, cmc5dc, for your post about towing your Airstream. We just tested towing our Trailmanor 3023, wt about 2500 lb, with our Model X 90D last weekend up and down some hills and all went well. Later this month I am planning an Orange County-Barstow roundtrip so I can predict how a planned trip to Moab, UT will be in October.View attachment 189078
I would like to hear about your trip to Utah. Please keep us updated.

Hi to cmc5dc and others towing with a Model X, we are leaving for Utah tomorrow. The trip will be Orange County, CA to Barstow supercharger (SC), then to Primm, NV SC, top off again at the Las Vegas SC, finally to St. George, Utah. Our destination is Zion National Park the next day, where we will stay several days and then return (the Moab trip will be in the future).

Since my last post, we took a trip from OC to El Capitan State Beach north of Santa Barbara, and after a short stay then up to the Buellton SC before driving back. Using the hill climbs on the 101 to Camarillo and from Gaviota up to the Santa Ynez valley and back, we calculated power consumption (KWh/mi) versus climb rate (ft/mile) at 55 mi/hr speed. Power consumption climbing, pulling our 3300 lb Trailmanor 3023 ranged from a high of 1.83 KWh/mi going over the hill by Camarillo, to a low of 1.08 Kwh/mi from Buellton over the hill to Gaviota. (I wrote 2500 lb weight for the Trailmanor on the last post, but research tells me it is more like 3300-3500. Our Model X has 90KWh battery.) I plotted these points, and they formed a straight line that intersects the Y axis (zero climb, level driving) at power consumption of .582 KWh/mi, which was what we calculated to be the overall average for the entire round trip. Using this graph of power consumption per mile versus climb rate, I measured distance between points along the I-15 freeway from Barstow to St. George and changes in elevation, and then calculated estimated power consumption between the points. I used an estimate of .35 KWh/mi on the downhill segments, and .582 KWh/mi on the flatter segments. This chart of estimated power consumption shows me that after I leave Barstow, I will need to stop at Primm and not try to make it to the Las Vegas SC, because the power needed from Barstow to LV SC would be a bit over 90 KWh. It also tells me I will need to top off the battery again at the Las Vegas SC to make it with a comfortable amount of charge left to St. George.

We found it quite easy, with my son helping me, to unhook our trailer from the Model X and pull into the supercharger spots. Not that we won't look forward to supercharger stations with pull-through spots, see this link
First look at Tesla’s new Supercharger layout concept

We will be reporting along the way using Twitter and Periscope. The topic of our posts on Twitter and videos on Periscope will be ModelX-Trailmanor.

Wish us luck!

Getting over that mountain pass near the end of the Barstow-to-Primm leg may be risky. At 3300 lbs you'll burn through some 50 miles of range on the uphill side, and going slow won't help much (fighting gravity alone takes 12-15 miles per 1000' gain). It wouldn't be so bad if it occurred at the beginning of the route when the pack is nearly full, but it's right near the end which leaves no way to recover. On the plus side, if you can clear the summit, regen should take you all the way to Vegas!

Hi to cmc5dc and others towing with a Model X, we are leaving for Utah tomorrow. The trip will be Orange County, CA to Barstow supercharger (SC), then to Primm, NV SC, top off again at the Las Vegas SC, finally to St. George, Utah. Our destination is Zion National Park the next day, where we will stay several days and then return (the Moab trip will be in the future).

Since my last post, we took a trip from OC to El Capitan State Beach north of Santa Barbara, and after a short stay then up to the Buellton SC before driving back. Using the hill climbs on the 101 to Camarillo and from Gaviota up to the Santa Ynez valley and back, we calculated power consumption (KWh/mi) versus climb rate (ft/mile) at 55 mi/hr speed. Power consumption climbing, pulling our 3300 lb Trailmanor 3023 ranged from a high of 1.83 KWh/mi going over the hill by Camarillo, to a low of 1.08 Kwh/mi from Buellton over the hill to Gaviota. (I wrote 2500 lb weight for the Trailmanor on the last post, but research tells me it is more like 3300-3500. Our Model X has 90KWh battery.) I plotted these points, and they formed a straight line that intersects the Y axis (zero climb, level driving) at power consumption of .582 KWh/mi, which was what we calculated to be the overall average for the entire round trip. Using this graph of power consumption per mile versus climb rate, I measured distance between points along the I-15 freeway from Barstow to St. George and changes in elevation, and then calculated estimated power consumption between the points. I used an estimate of .35 KWh/mi on the downhill segments, and .582 KWh/mi on the flatter segments. This chart of estimated power consumption shows me that after I leave Barstow, I will need to stop at Primm and not try to make it to the Las Vegas SC, because the power needed from Barstow to LV SC would be a bit over 90 KWh. It also tells me I will need to top off the battery again at the Las Vegas SC to make it with a comfortable amount of charge left to St. George.

We found it quite easy, with my son helping me, to unhook our trailer from the Model X and pull into the supercharger spots. Not that we won't look forward to supercharger stations with pull-through spots, see this link
First look at Tesla’s new Supercharger layout concept

We will be reporting along the way using Twitter and Periscope. The topic of our posts on Twitter and videos on Periscope will be ModelX-Trailmanor.

Wish us luck!

Is that your twitter handle or a hashtag? I can't find either. I feel old now. I'd love to follow along though.

Greetings from Springdale, Utah, outside Zion National Park. I will post again with more details when I can get a better connection. We successfully made it from OC to St George, Utah, on Oct 19. We drove at 50 mph on much of the climb from Baker up to Mt Pass, but all went well towing the 3300 lb 2007 Trailmanor 3023.

More to follow after more hiking in Zion!

My P100D is coming soon and I've been researching possible ways to camp with the Tesla that don't involve sleeping on the cold hard ground. I think towing the SylvanSport Go looks very promising considering the weight and profile. ICE owners report only dropping a single MPG for the most part. Also it would be maneuverable by hand if I needed to disconnect at a Super Charger. Thoughts?

GO Pop Up Adventure Camping Trailers | SylvanSport

Reactions: polymathic
My P100D is coming soon and I've been researching possible ways to camp with the Tesla that don't involve sleeping on the cold hard ground. I think towing the SylvanSport Go looks very promising considering the weight and profile. ICE owners report only dropping a single MPG for the most part. Also it would be maneuverable by hand if I needed to disconnect at a Super Charger. Thoughts?

GO Pop Up Adventure Camping Trailers | SylvanSport
Looks like a fun set-up. I'll be interested to hear of your experience if you choose this one. Keep us posted.

Greetings from Springdale, Utah, outside Zion National Park. I will post again with more details when I can get a better connection. We successfully made it from OC to St George, Utah, on Oct 19. We drove at 50 mph on much of the climb from Baker up to Mt Pass, but all went well towing the 3300 lb 2007 Trailmanor 3023.
More to follow after more hiking in Zion!
I am interested to hear how the remainder of your trip went while towing the Trailmanor.
Power consumption climbing, pulling our 3300 lb Trailmanor 3023 ranged from a high of 1.83 KWh/mi going over the hill by Camarillo, to a low of 1.08 Kwh/mi from Buellton over the hill to Gaviota... I used an estimate of .35 KWh/mi on the downhill segments, and .582 KWh/mi on the flatter segments
So 582wH/mi on a level road with no headwind? Given the low height I'm a bit surprised your usage is that high. Maybe the fact that it is about a foot wider wider than an X (I'm not counting the side mirrors) is responsible for increasing the drag as it can't be the height: I think that trailer is only 64" which is less than the X at around 66" (depending on the Air Suspension setting).

• Informative
Reactions: JimVandegriff