Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Townhouse: Any Electricians...Outdoor Charging Question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently moved into a 3-story townhouse that does not have a garage. The fuse box is on the 2nd floor in the center of the townhouse. Needless to say, this is a far distance from where I park. I was wondering if it is possible to run a line for a NEMA 14-50 charging outlet directly from somewhere near the electrical meter where the power enters the townhouse or maybe somehow share external the breaker box used for the AC units? Both of these items are closer to the area where I park....Thanks for the feedback!

Often there's a breaker box under the meter, or just on the other side of the wall from it. You could have a circuit added there. If there is no panel, you could potentially have one added, depending on what Code is in your area.

The HVAC circuit will be sized for that system and it's not a good idea to use, although there may be conduit to it from the main panel which could be used for more wires.

There are a lot of variables. the NEC requires that there be a disconnect as close as practically possible to the point at which the cable enters the building. My guess is that your townhouse's panel on the 2nd floor is actually fed from another service panel - perhaps near the meter (as Edmond notes). You may be able to add a breaker there or ask an electrician to swap that equipment out for something that would give you a circuit.

Pictures of your meter where the power enters could help.

There are a lot of variables. the NEC requires that there be a disconnect as close as practically possible to the point at which the cable enters the building. My guess is that your townhouse's panel on the 2nd floor is actually fed from another service panel - perhaps near the meter (as Edmond notes). You may be able to add a breaker there or ask an electrician to swap that equipment out for something that would give you a circuit.

Pictures of your meter where the power enters could help.

Thanks so much...I actually looked near my AC unit breaker box for the meter and location where power was entering my unit, but could not locate it. I guess my main fear is that an electrician will say it can't be done...Is that even a possibility?

Thanks so much...I actually looked near my AC unit breaker box for the meter and location where power was entering my unit, but could not locate it. I guess my main fear is that an electrician will say it can't be done...Is that even a possibility?

Anything can be done, it's just going to cost you.

First, the electrician will see whether your service (the connection to the power company) has enough capacity to handle the added load. This is governed by NEC article 220 (load calculations). There are some spreadsheets and tools online to help you determine that if you want to take a shot at it yourself.

Second, he'll have to find the easiest way to get a circuit there. He could do a "home run" from that panel, but it's likely to be a long run and costly. There are other alternatives available to him. If you can provide pictures of your electrical meter, any equipment on the outside of the home, as well as your inside panel, I might be able to give you some guesses. Also, is your electrical panel on the second floor on an inside wall or outside wall?

It would be rare to have unprotected conductors going all the way from a meter into the middle of the house - my bet is on a panel somewhere else that might help you.

Anything can be done, it's just going to cost you.

First, the electrician will see whether your service (the connection to the power company) has enough capacity to handle the added load. This is governed by NEC article 220 (load calculations). There are some spreadsheets and tools online to help you determine that if you want to take a shot at it yourself.

Second, he'll have to find the easiest way to get a circuit there. He could do a "home run" from that panel, but it's likely to be a long run and costly. There are other alternatives available to him. If you can provide pictures of your electrical meter, any equipment on the outside of the home, as well as your inside panel, I might be able to give you some guesses. Also, is your electrical panel on the second floor on an inside wall or outside wall?

It would be rare to have unprotected conductors going all the way from a meter into the middle of the house - my bet is on a panel somewhere else that might help you.

So I found the meter...It's on the total opposite side of the building of where I would like to park...but here are pictures of my panel which is unfortunately located on an interior wall literally almost in the center of the 2nd floor.... I'm seeing $$$$... The AC breaker box is also shown which I figure is useless since it isn't close to the meter.
IMG_20160406_175439485.jpg
IMG_20160406_175427534.jpg
IMG_20160406_174951585.jpg

Those are just AC disconnects and are already running a single circuit from one of your panels already.

Your meter may be on the other side of the house, but it may be easier than climbing in ceilings and working in walls to get you a circuit.

That said, it sounds like this one isn't going to be a simple $200 install.

So I found the meter...It's on the total opposite side of the building of where I would like to park...but here are pictures of my panel which is unfortunately located on an interior wall literally almost in the center of the 2nd floor.... I'm seeing $$$$... The AC breaker box is also shown which I figure is useless since it isn't close to the meter.
View attachment 171058 View attachment 171059 View attachment 171060

Where is your washer dryer space? If there is an outlet for an electric dryer close to the garage, you may be able to extend that circuit for charging. Only 30A, but mine will charge 90% in 10 hours.

You also have to contend with what the HOA will allow. It sounds like you have two basic choices, running wire through the interior, or running conduit around the outside. The HOA may balk at anything too visible on the outside.

BTW, you said the meter is on the opposite side from where you'd like to park. Could you park near there? Might be worth walking a little farther.

Time to get some professional quotes for the work. They will be able to help figure out the path of least resistance. :)

We live in a condo with a breaker panel in the unit too. It seems that there must be a disconnect somewhere between your meter and your panel, probably very close to the meter which we have in our case.

The electrician taped the wires from the disconnect and thru a new conduit, ran wire to a 40 amp fused disconnect that he mounted righ behind where our MS parks. The WC is located right under the disconnect.

The dip switches of the WC are set for 32 amp. Because our main disconnect is 70 amp with #6 wire, the max current we can draw is 40A, 32A continuous.