Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Townhouse NEMA 14-50 Installation Finally Done!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow posters. I've been following this forum for a while but this is my first post.

About 6 months ago I started the process of trying to convince my homeowner's association to allow me to install an electrical outlet near my parking spot (common area). As you might have guessed, this was not a request they had entertained in the past. After months of going back and forth with their attorney and drafting a lengthy agreement, the electrician moved forward to pull the permit about 2 weeks ago. Construction started on Friday and finished yesterday. At last - I can charge at home without the need to spend my lunches at my local Supercharger station.

I did a lot of research and spent a fair amount of time negotiating this deal with my association. If anyone would like some help or suggestions with dealing with their associations, please do not hesitate to shoot me a note.

Thanks!

-M
IMG_4806.JPG
IMG_4810.JPG

It's not high enough to withstand the next tidal surge... :j

Hey I need a drainage easement between two neighboring houses, and it's common condo area so I need to get the easement from the condo assoc. Their yards are always getting flooded because their developer didn't account for drainage from my land. I'm willing to build an underground vault on my land, but I need to put an overflow between two of their houses to the storm for overflow.

Any suggestions on getting the easement? Maybe getting them to help pay?

It's not high enough to withstand the next tidal surge... :j

Hey I need a drainage easement between two neighboring houses, and it's common condo area so I need to get the easement from the condo assoc. Their yards are always getting flooded because their developer didn't account for drainage from my land. I'm willing to build an underground vault on my land, but I need to put an overflow between two of their houses to the storm for overflow.

Any suggestions on getting the easement? Maybe getting them to help pay?

Have you brought in a licensed electrician to take a look at it? They might have some alternative idea. If you need an easement, you're going to need to persuade the board and likely sign some paperwork that limits your use of the easement (assuming they are inclined to give it to you).

Good luck!

Hello fellow posters. I've been following this forum for a while but this is my first post.

About 6 months ago I started the process of trying to convince my homeowner's association to allow me to install an electrical outlet near my parking spot (common area). As you might have guessed, this was not a request they had entertained in the past. After months of going back and forth with their attorney and drafting a lengthy agreement, the electrician moved forward to pull the permit about 2 weeks ago. Construction started on Friday and finished yesterday. At last - I can charge at home without the need to spend my lunches at my local Supercharger station.

I did a lot of research and spent a fair amount of time negotiating this deal with my association. If anyone would like some help or suggestions with dealing with their associations, please do not hesitate to shoot me a note.

Thanks!

-M
View attachment 174098 View attachment 174099
I sent you a note asking for a copy of your legal agreement because I am in midst of negotiating one myself for a condo in MA. Any help would be appreciated.

I sent you a note asking for a copy of your legal agreement because I am in midst of negotiating one myself for a condo in MA. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm also looking to do the same with my condo association here in MA. I do have a question, as I notice you elected on to use the Tesla wall connector. Was there a reason why? You would then not have to use your own charge cord every time, and if you have dual chargers it would be twice the charge. I'm also thinking that this would prevent anyone from using your charge station when you aren't there, as Tesla wall connections are unique.

I don't know if those kind of stories make me upset or happy. I'm happy because it's one little step in the right direction. EVs are coming, people need to see it. Upset because it requires 6 months of negotiation and lawyers to have a freaking electrical outlet installed. HOA should not make things more complicated and expensive. An electrical outlet is with a breaker and GFI is perfectly safe.

Reactions: SageBrush
Met with a lawyer today to review the draft agreement with the condo association for my proposed charging arrangement. All sorts of issues arise -- authority of the board to grant me permission, any previous precedent for other similar actions, insurance issues, yadda yadda yadda. Insurance company can't show me language that indicates they will cover losses or liability for my equipment on common property. Getting mighty discouraged. Legal fees will soon equal the cost of the physical installation. Could turn out to be damned expensive electricity....

• Informative
Reactions: David99

Thanks!

-M
View attachment 174098 View attachment 174099

Very nice 14-50 installation! Also my complements to you, your neighbor and your electrician for working it out so that you can charge there.

Every time I read "HOA", regardless of the outcome, I get aggravated. I don't think I have ever read a story about a HOA making things easier in any way for anything.

I would never buy a house with an HOA. Not worth the hassle. My property, my way.

Reactions: KJD