Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Toyota Announces Plans for 15 EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Toyota said Monday it will bring 15 new battery electric models to market by 2025, including an SUV and pickup truck.

“This future lineup will feature 15 dedicated BEVs, including seven carrying the bZ (Beyond Zero) brand moniker,” the company said in a release. “In addition, Toyota intends to bring electrification to its pickup truck lineup in the near future, including hybrid and BEV powertrains.”

The company said the portfolio of electrified products will help propel it toward a goal of carbon neutrality by 2050.

As part of the announcement, Toyota unveiled the bZ4X SUV concept, which it plans to produce in Japan and China, with worldwide sales of the model by the middle of 2022. The company said U.S. product details will be shared at a later date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup... More marketing and maybe throw in some CGI, but nothing real.

Toyota joining GM et al on the lawsuit to strike-down Cali's emissions rules portends their real plans for the future.

I couldn't think of a good name for this rule but the larger the number of new BEV models that are announced by a manufacturer, the farther into the future that they will actually be available to the public.

Toyota recently put up a billboard in Orange County (more EVs that lawyers!) that says "Don't Recharge! Buy a Mirai!" (55 fwy N).

So exactly how EV-centric do you think Toyota REALLY is?

Very EV centric, especially considering that in Japan they also have a 2030 goal. I doubt Toyota will just sleep on this. That and Mazda has their first EV, granted with not much range.

Very EV centric, especially considering that in Japan they also have a 2030 goal. I doubt Toyota will just sleep on this. That and Mazda has their first EV, granted with not much range.

Toyota is so far behind Nissan that it's comical. Toyota's CEO: Mr. Toyoda: “The more EVs we build, the worse carbon dioxide gets,” he said. - WSJ
Dec. 17, 2020 4:17 am ET

Reactions: mk677
Hey guys, don't believe Toyota's PR/marketing spin that Toyota is anti-EV. I've personally witnessed a company's marketing bashing new tech while I was on an engineering team at that same company secretly working on that same tech as the future of the company's entire business. Marketing's job is to sell today's cars, not Osborne them. Toyota PR/marketing will be bashing EVs right up to the moment they are ready to sell them by the millions.

Hey guys, don't believe Toyota's PR/marketing spin that Toyota is anti-EV. I've personally witnessed a company's marketing bashing new tech while I was on an engineering team at that same company secretly working on that same tech as the future of the company's entire business. Marketing's job is to sell today's cars, not Osborne them. Toyota PR/marketing will be bashing EVs right up to the moment they are ready to sell them by the millions.
what PR? up until this reversal on making EVs by toyota they were all in on hydrogen. as noted the CEO was vehemently anti EV

Reactions: AdamMacDon
Perhaps I'm severely under-educated on the topic, but hydrogen just seems *really* dumb to me. It's only benefit is that it mirrors gasoline... so [1.] auto manufacturers can still make profits from overly complicated systems and thermal degradation (selling repair parts) and [B.] "gas" stations can still have pumps on every corner.

"Let's waste a *bunch* of energy converting energy into liquid which will then need energy to transport it to fueling stations. Then vehicles will use more energy traveling to refill their energy, 70% of which will be wasted as heat. Mortimer, we're back!"

Perhaps I'm severely under-educated on the topic, but hydrogen just seems *really* dumb to me. It's only benefit is that it mirrors gasoline... so [1.] auto manufacturers can still make profits from overly complicated systems and thermal degradation (selling repair parts) and [B.] "gas" stations can still have pumps on every corner.

"Let's waste a *bunch* of energy converting energy into liquid which will then need energy to transport it to fueling stations. Then vehicles will use more energy traveling to refill their energy, 70% of which will be wasted as heat. Mortimer, we're back!"
Nailed it. The only real "benefit" it seems to give consumers is they won't have to learn a new way to refuel their cars. Or at least, the hydrogen refueling method is fairly similar to gasoline, just much higher pressure and risk. However, once you get a home EV charger, you realize how much better it really is. And with how fast superchargers are now, you barely lose any time the few days of the year you are traveling.

Reactions: father_of_6