Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota bZ4X SUV Concept

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Winner.... If only Toyota put in their solid state batteries in this thing.

Now that is going to change the EV landscape.

With their 10 years/1millionKM warranty, those two things would make every EV player go crazy.

Okay. I just woke up.

LOL !!!!

Note: With Japan 'job for life' employment policy, all the Japanese car manufacturers drag their feet for seriously producing EVs
to avoid having to lay off and close factories building ICE engines and gear boxes, allowing to wait until those workers reach their retirement age.

Last edited:
This does look like an interesting EV. None the less, recently there have been lots of "interesting" models of EV coming out "soon."

Before I jump ship to another brand I'm going to want to see some unbiased reviews as well as let these models age about a year so as to see where they really stand in the mix of EVs out there.

Rich

Press releases below:

All the auto journos are getting to test drive the bZ4x this month it looks like.

1649794260633.png

It's pretty unimpressive overall, imo. I mean, sure, it is fairly efficient from a mi/kWh perspective for its segment, but a max range of 252 miles? Out of the gate, it loses on range (and charging speed, btw, more on that below) to the MY, Ioniq 5, ID. 4, Mach-E, EV 6, and coming up the Nissan Ariya. I guess for loyal Toyota fans who want a BEV it'll do. Seems like it might also cannibalize some Rav4 Prime sales as well potentially.

Toyota includes a year of free charging at EVgo locations, and buyers can bundle a ChargePoint Level 2 home charger as part of their purchase for $699 (which doesn't include installation). With a Level 2 supply, the modest 6.6-kW onboard charger can replenish the battery in 9 hours. The bZ4X can also power up at a DC fast-charger, where Toyota claims that adding 80 percent charge takes just under an hour, with peak charging rates of 150 kW for the front-drive variants and 100 kW for the all-wheel-drive models. In other markets, the bZ4X offers solar panels integrated into the roof, but that feature didn't make the cut for the U.S.

Oof.

I actually think the FWD version is pretty reasonable. I think I'd probably get it over the ID.4, which is the closest car in price and features. They'll need to lower the price once their tax credits run out though.

The AWD version is a head scratcher. You get barely more power than the FWD, less range, more cost, and slower charging? Get out of here.

Definitely unimpressive specs, and it sounds like an unimpressive driving experience too. But if they bring stereotypical Toyota level reliability to the EV space that'll be a legit selling point and a good thing for the EV market.

I do think the range is questionable though if they're going to market this as a primary car and not just a second car. Yeah anything 200+ miles is functional for most, but as a longtime S P85 owner, I really appreciate the extra range my 2021 M3P has (especially after downsizing to 18" wheels from the awesome looking but ridiculous 20" Uberturbines). I think these 200-250 mile range EVs are going to feel outdated quick...that's like 2012 era EV range to me, not 2022, and yes the difference matters in some of my regular driving.

There was a competing EV I almost bought instead of the M3P, which I still really like, but ultimately its inferior range (similar to my old P85) + inferior DCFC coverage was a deal killer that kept me in the Tesla fold. (Plus I really like the M3P too of course. :) ) I'm very glad I got the M3P and didn't settle for <= 250 miles of EPA range.

Any chance Toyota has pulled a Porsche and somehow managed to severely underrate in their EPA testing?

I actually think the FWD version is pretty reasonable. I think I'd probably get it over the ID.4, which is the closest car in price and features. They'll need to lower the price once their tax credits run out though.

The AWD version is a head scratcher. You get barely more power than the FWD, less range, more cost, and slower charging? Get out of here.
Definitely.
XLE has a heat pump. XLE + winter 42.5k.
ID.4 doesn't have a heat pump in the USA.
IONIQ5 and EV6 only have a heat pump in the LR AWD.
Relatively good value at the lower end, compared to similar new compact crossover offerings.
Toyota loses tax credits soon though.

How expensive is a heat pump for an automaker to include? Isn't it basically just a reversible AC system? (Okay I'm sure I'm way oversimplifying there...)

A heat pump should become table stakes soon for a long range / primary car EV, if it's not already. So much better than resistive heating, at least in my climate. Maybe if EPA range testing included chilly evening cabin heat use, that would encourage heat pumps to become universal in EVs. I assume heat pumps don't really benefit current EPA test methodology, but they sure benefit in the real world in my experience now.

That non-Tesla I almost bought didn't have a heat pump for 2021, but they at least added one for 2022 model year.

Reactions: bruce4000
C&D did a range test. This thing is a joke.

That is...unfortunate.

There's people I know who could probably be convinced to go EV if Toyota made a good one with competitive range and charging. Wouldn't even need to be class-leading, just not class-trailing.

For example, a coworker with an old Highlander hybrid that's looking to upgrade. He wants reliable, comfortable basic transportation, and doesn't care about crazy 0-60 numbers or sports car cornering. Teslas and most other EVs to date are just too weird, too pricey, and too untrustworthy for his family. Price-wise they absolutely could afford a new MYLR no problem, but they see no need to spend that much on a transportation appliance. (I don't blame them. Model Y is worth it if you value the performance, or value the EV-ness, but as a pure transportation appliance it's difficult to justify solely on $ terms vs a hybrid.)

This bZ4X should be their perfect EV...but it's not. Not with some of the worst range and slowest charging on the market. This was a missed opportunity to convert a lot more ICE car owners to EV. I'm sure it'll still convert some, it's probably fine as a second car mainly for around-town duties, but I just don't see many people picking this thing as a primary family car like they might an ICE crossover or a Model Y.

Reactions: mangrove79
That is...unfortunate.

There's people I know who could probably be convinced to go EV if Toyota made a good one with competitive range and charging. Wouldn't even need to be class-leading, just not class-trailing.

For example, a coworker with an old Highlander hybrid that's looking to upgrade. He wants reliable, comfortable basic transportation, and doesn't care about crazy 0-60 numbers or sports car cornering. Teslas and most other EVs to date are just too weird, too pricey, and too untrustworthy for his family. Price-wise they absolutely could afford a new MYLR no problem, but they see no need to spend that much on a transportation appliance. (I don't blame them. Model Y is worth it if you value the performance, or value the EV-ness, but as a pure transportation appliance it's difficult to justify solely on $ terms vs a hybrid.)

This bZ4X should be their perfect EV...but it's not. Not with some of the worst range and slowest charging on the market. This was a missed opportunity to convert a lot more ICE car owners to EV. I'm sure it'll still convert some, it's probably fine as a second car mainly for around-town duties, but I just don't see many people picking this thing as a primary family car like they might an ICE crossover or a Model Y.
I'll hold out and wait for at least another range test (as well as range tests for the FWD), but if it really is under 200 miles of real-world range, then it's pretty pathetic for an EV released this year at this price range.

It sounds like your coworker should look instead at the ID4, which comes from an established automaker, and drives like a normal car. The RWD gets pretty OK performance, pretty good range, and is comparably inexpensive (and will keep the tax credit a little longer compared to Toyota).