Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota could have 600-mile, solid state battery ready by 2015-2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Promising, but like Mycroft says, it rarely goes as planned. By 2017 (the midpoint of their projections) I'd imagine Tesla's packs might be doing 500ish and be cheaper than they are now (not to mention tested and proven). I hope to see it happen though, along with all the other promising chemistries we've been hearing about.

It would be really nice, but don't expect a 45 min quickcharge ! That would require some serious power!

A battery of 188kWh... still a 2h+ charge on Tesla's 90kW charger :)
Not sure if you're joking, but what's the point of a 45 minute quick charge on a 600 mile battery? It takes an iron man to do more miles than that per day. Maybe 700-800, in which case you get that 100-200 extra miles charging somewhere at lunch.

Not sure if you're joking, but what's the point of a 45 minute quick charge on a 600 mile battery? It takes an iron man to do more miles than that per day. Maybe 700-800, in which case you get that 100-200 extra miles charging somewhere at lunch.
No, that wasn't meant as a joke.

My point is that I hear people asking about a X mile range per battery and ALSO expect it to QC withing 30 minutes. EV's are already very efficient. The only way we can get them to go further is by adding more battery capacity, which will also add more charge time.

The point of my post was that with a double-sized battery your "QC" will still take 2 hours.

The point of my post was that with a double-sized battery your "QC" will still take 2 hours.
Understood. My point is that QC becomes significantly less important if the battery range exceeds the needs of a long day's drive. If you're stopping for the day, you don't need QC. You just need a charge that fills up overnight.

Although I like to do no more than 600-700 miles in a driving day, I've been known to drive 600 miles and then 600 miles back. So a 600 mile quick charge would not be a bad deal. And I'm not even remotely close to being an Iron Man.

Although I like to do no more than 600-700 miles in a driving day, I've been known to drive 600 miles and then 600 miles back. So a 600 mile quick charge would not be a bad deal. And I'm not even remotely close to being an Iron Man.
At 60 mph average 1200 miles is 20 hours of straight driving (faster on the freeway, but assume food/bathroom breaks drag down the average).

I suppose "iron man" is subjective, but that seems pretty hard core.