Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota EV.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: 1208
Seems more like a stalling tactic to mollify potential EV buyers to hold off buying someone else's EV because Toyota will have a better version "soon". "Meanwhile, can we steer you toward a nice Mirai or Prius?"

That "triple braced... safety, safety, safety" comment implies that current EVs somehow have dangerous battery packs that should be avoided. I wonder if they triple braced the hydrogen tanks for safety, safety, safety in their Miraiagible? :)

Last edited:
Seems more like a stalling tactic to mollify potential EV buyers to hold off buying someone else's EV because Toyota will have a better version "soon". "Meanwhile, can we steer you toward a nice Mirai or Prius?"

I tend to think not. Toyota moves slowly and deliberately. This fuel cell boondoggle smells like a project that was carried far too long by inertia (and unwillingness to lose face over a bad decision). I'd bet a sashimi dinner that that the wording of the announcement (safety bla bla) was 80% designed to help some internal management types retain their pride (not a dumb decision, we were protecting the consumer from lethal batteries!) while still allowing the company to make a required change in direction.

The Mirai is as good as dead. Unless it comes back in the form of a Mirai EV.

Last edited: