TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Toyota EV.

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by sandpiper, Nov 1, 2016.

1. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

• Like x 1
  2. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

#2 BluestarE3, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Seems more like a stalling tactic to mollify potential EV buyers to hold off buying someone else's EV because Toyota will have a better version "soon". "Meanwhile, can we steer you toward a nice Mirai or Prius?"

That "triple braced... safety, safety, safety" comment implies that current EVs somehow have dangerous battery packs that should be avoided. I wonder if they triple braced the hydrogen tanks for safety, safety, safety in their Miraiagible? :)

3. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

#3 sandpiper, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    I tend to think not. Toyota moves slowly and deliberately. This fuel cell boondoggle smells like a project that was carried far too long by inertia (and unwillingness to lose face over a bad decision). I'd bet a sashimi dinner that that the wording of the announcement (safety bla bla) was 80% designed to help some internal management types retain their pride (not a dumb decision, we were protecting the consumer from lethal batteries!) while still allowing the company to make a required change in direction.

The Mirai is as good as dead. Unless it comes back in the form of a Mirai EV.

4. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Better to let the Mirai name fade away and give any future EV the Prius moniker, which has creds as a "green" car.