Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota halting sales of EV because wheel can fall off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Apparently the new Toyota EV bZ4x sales have been halted because the wheels can fall off. Additionally owners are being told not to drive the vehicle until a remedy can be found. This article goes through the details.

Given their reputation for quality I find it shocking Toyota would have such an issue. It also looks like the sister Subaru banded vehicle also has the same issue.

This isn't good. The only real selling point I see in the bZ4X is the potential for typical Toyota-level reliability. Starting off with the wheels falling off is not promising in that regard.

What's interesting to me here is what Toyota hasn't said - why are the hub bolts coming loose? Sounds like it might not be simply a miscalibrated factory robot...might be a design flaw. Or materials flaw I suppose. I'm just speculating but that's because Toyota says they haven't figured it out yet!

Reactions: jboy210
I posted this elsewhere earlier today:
I found Toyota is conducting a safety recall involving 2023 model year bZ4X vehicles - Toyota USA Newsroom and even though 2023 TOYOTA BZ4X | NHTSA listed 0 recalls for some reason, it has it.

There are currently 3 associated documents with that recall (NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V444000):
What's interesting to me here is what Toyota hasn't said - why are the hub bolts coming loose? Sounds like it might not be simply a miscalibrated factory robot...might be a design flaw. Or materials flaw I suppose. I'm just speculating but that's because Toyota says they haven't figured it out yet!
From the above, they don't seem to know yet, as of 6/23/22.

But yes, indeed. This has got to be super embarrassing for them.

Last edited: