TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Toyota Prius brake checks me

Discussion in 'Model X' started by jonman, Jan 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jonman

jonman Member

Lol. I love it.

1. Totally agree but get it done or be delayed 30-40 min since around my area, people only drive in the left lane and never move right to let people pass.
    2. Yes, both lanes are blocked, but seeing a semi on left means he is passing slower traffic on right. So, I move left as well and wait it out.
    3. Agree

I've taken that school and an offensive driving school while attending the Florida State Highway Patrol academy. Was a FL trooper for many years then got into cyber for the money.

• Informative x 1
  2. MasterT

MasterT Member

Jon, I apologize for my "investigative" skills but unfortunately that's what it looks like to me. I realize that my made up story might not be what actually transpired. If the Prius really passed the grey SUV on the left, it's just too outrageous to believe without a video because the right lane was available and it's just logical to use it.

• Like x 1
  3. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

If he also passed the Chevy SUV on the left (in the emergency) lane, the Chevy would have honked and we would have heard it on the recording.

I think the more likely sequence of events was:

a) Prius was behind you when you overtook the Chevy
    b) He also overtook the Chevy on the right
    c) He switched to the left lane and started overtaking you
    d) You started moving to the left
    e) Prius moved out of the way into the Emergency lane, and honked at you from cutting you off. (Prius honked first)
    f) You honked back at the Prius since he surprised you when you finally noticed him
    g) Prius got miffed since he didn't think it was his fault, so he break-checked you

• Like x 2
  4. jonman

jonman Member

I wish they (police) would enforce slower traffic to keep right so we wouldn't have to pass on the right. I hate doing it, but people will never get over and i don't like to follow super close to "force" them over so I pass on the right. This makes me miss FL and OH a lot!!

I wish I had a rear camera.

Yes, passing on a shoulder on any side is illegal in every state. I have seen it done so many times I wish I were still a cop.

• Like x 3
  5. jonman

jonman Member

Agreed. If I had a rear camera it would solve all of this.

I never cut him off because he wasn't behind me in the first place; the right lane or left lane. I think he was behind the F250 who was behind me and passing all of us on the left shoulder. When I finished my lane change, at the time, my left lane was clear and AP changed lanes for me.

6. MasterT

MasterT Member

Absolutely agree with you on every single point.

It's no difference in FL - most people still drive slow in the left lane, the same as everywhere else, and the only options are either to tailgate them or highbeam to "force" to free the lane for passing, or pass them on the right.

7. jonman

jonman Member

When I was a trooper in FL this was my number one ticket maker. I pulled over so many senior citizens who would be in the left when the right is wide open for them to travel in during their drive. Obviously not just senior citizens but younger people too who are just not taught how to drive.

• Love x 3
    • Like x 2
  8. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

I would have voted for you for Sheriff!

9. jonman

jonman Member

You know for sure he would have honked? Maybe you would have, but not everyone honks.
    the F250 didn't honk (who was behind me)
    the Chevy didn't honk
    I honk cuz I love honking, especially through tunnels
    the Giant Grocery semi who was later down the road didn't honk either when he was passed

• Funny x 1
  10. MasterT

MasterT Member

Jon, I'm gong to say something else which would probably add insult to injury, but, but, but, pardon me, but I think you do have rear view video, you just dont want to post it. The dashcam you're using is BlackVue DR650S-2CH - that's a 2 channel dashcam. Yes it is absolutely possible to install just the front camera but how many do that? I know you did install the rear view camera, here is your post from the blackvue thread (Blackvue Dash Cam - Step by Step Installation):

• Like x 3
  11. jonman

jonman Member

You live in FL at any point?

12. jonman

jonman Member

True story. I do have a 2channel system but only 1 camera is up and running. What I didn't post is that I damaged the cable when forcing it through the headliner using my own homemade push rod. I also gouged some wires running through the trunk wiring harness. So until I buy a new cable I have a 2CH system with only 1 camera.

• Like x 1
  13. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Occam's razor. It would have been much easier for the Prius to overtake the Chevy on the right.

Do you have dashcam footage of the Prius also overtaking the semi in the emergency lane?

14. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Unbelievable!! My memory recalled that the left shoulder wasn't even a full car-width (I had to watch it again to verify). It might just be a car's width, but it looks super tight (the fisheye lens may be distorting things and it may be bigger than it looks).

Not only is that dangerous, but that's where most debris ends up (like screws, broken glass, hub caps, etc.). He is just asking for a tire puncture as well.

• Like x 1
  15. jonman

jonman Member

No,
    You can barely fit on the shoulder so it's a squeeze for sure, even for a Prius. The rumble strips have the nasty stuff that gets kicked up and ruins your paint and other things you mentioned.

16. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

So he was in an obvious hurry..and when you have a driver like that driving like an emergency vehicle at 80mph..you don't engage with them. You get as far as possible away to protect yourself, your vehicle and others. Honking at them or keeping up the speed or trying to maintain your rights is not going to be safe at this point.

Oh and who am I telling..you said you have been a State trooper. So you probably know what defensive driving is but that's now what your video shows. It shows poorly on you, unfortunately. I am sorry this sounds disparaging but the truth is that you are equally at fault if an accident would have occurred.

• Like x 1
  17. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

Except in Calif you still have to obtain the education, but it might not come directly from the school. But your comment could certainly be extended to other activities that used to be standard and now are MIA.:(

Driver License (DL) and Identification Card (ID) Information

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Thank you for clarifying. Perhaps the people in this thread who came to a certain conclusion based on no evidence can re-think their positions.
    That is quite an assumption. I have seen many similar situations where people did not respond with a honk when another driver did something extremely stupid in their vicinity. I include myself in that group. Sometimes an event happens so quickly, and is so unexpected, that by the time I think about honking the other driver is too far away from me to even notice.

• Like x 1
  19. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

If you saw him passing the Chevy on the left, you must have still been in the right lane at that time, or just started to move over.

Why did you continue to move over to the left, knowing he was going to come barreling towards you?

20. jonman

jonman Member

We agree to disagree on this one, but I'm glad you know who would be at fault should an accident have happened. ;)