Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota Prius brake checks me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We agree to disagree on this one, but I'm glad you know who would be at fault should an accident have happened. ;)
@jonman - my apologies if I sound condescending but unfortunately you were only aggravating the situation. Not knowing why the other driver was in such a hurry- high on drugs, cat stuck in a tree, house in fire, etc the best strategy for anyone on that road is to give this person safe passage without adding more aggression. And if fortunately a state trooper is on duty, they can take over the situation before anything bad happens.

And since you have been a state trooper, I would expect you to have demonstrated defensive driving rather than the aggressive behavior that your video shows.

Again, my apologies- I am not the one to make judgement on you. I am in no way approving the behavior of the other driver either. It's good nothing happened and everyone was safe. But this was a situation ready to explode.

Reactions: Cowby
@jonman - my apologies if I sound condescending but unfortunately you were only aggravating the situation. Not knowing why the other driver was in such a hurry- high on drugs, cat stuck in a tree, house in fire, etc the best strategy for anyone on that road is to give this person safe passage without adding more aggression. And if fortunately a state trooper is on duty, they can take over the situation before anything bad happens.

And since you have been a state trooper, I would expect you to have demonstrated defensive driving rather than the aggressive behavior that your video shows.

Again, my apologies- I am not the one to make judgement on you. I am in no way approving the behavior of the other driver either. It's good nothing happened and everyone was safe. But this was a situation ready to explode.

Totally agree, I should have moved over to allow his maneuver but it is what it is. I have been in emergency situations before trying to get home to a dying family member so who knows what his reasons were.

Thoughts of more aggressive behavior could have been:
  • keeping pace with him so he couldn't get in front of me
  • tailgating him
  • flashing high beams
  • clipping his bumper to force a pit maneuver (deadly at that speed)
I would never do any of those things so I guess just sitting there was what I thought best at the time.

I wonder what AP should have done, if anything, when detecting a vehicle that close to your side?
  • move the car over?
  • brake?
  • sound alert?
Is there a side collision alert and if there is, what would the car do?

Except in Calif you still have to obtain the education, but it might not come directly from the school. But your comment could certainly be extended to other activities that used to be standard and now are MIA.:(

Driver License (DL) and Identification Card (ID) Information

The minimum requirement is far less than when I was in HS school, and the instructors are not as good.

All parents should enroll their kids in a Defensive Driving School which is not legally required. For US residents, I recommend B.R.A.K.E.S. school for teens.

I doubt he would have brake checked if he didn't hear the long-horn-honk while passing on the shoulder at 80mph while closing in on the truck. Guy could have had a child hurt or killed and was rushing to them and probably would have been in highly excited mode. Avoid them, let them go. It's their issue. If you are a police officer, you can engage to protect others.

The minimum requirement is far less than when I was in HS school, and the instructors are not as good.

All parents should enroll their kids in a Defensive Driving School which is not legally required. For US residents, I recommend B.R.A.K.E.S. school for teens.

This brings up something I have been thinking about for a while: will kids born now ever drive a car that has a steering wheel?

16 years from now who knows what tech will be in cars. I'm hoping for level 5 autonomy.

Side ones? That sounds like a lot of work. Where would you mount the side ones?

People have done it. I think there might be a thread on the forums here, but I'm not sure I liked the location they put them in (though I can't exactly remember where they were).

Or you get one of those 360 degree cams and mount it to the top of the car :)

• Funny
Reactions: jonman
Totally agree, I should have moved over to allow his maneuver but it is what it is. I have been in emergency situations before trying to get home to a dying family member so who knows what his reasons were.

Thoughts of more aggressive behavior could have been:
  • keeping pace with him so he couldn't get in front of me
  • tailgating him
  • flashing high beams
  • clipping his bumper to force a pit maneuver (deadly at that speed)
I would never do any of those things so I guess just sitting there was what I thought best at the time.

I wonder what AP should have done, if anything, when detecting a vehicle that close to your side?
  • move the car over?
  • brake?
  • sound alert?
@jonman - you bring up an excellent point. I was going to ask you earlier - are you AP1 or 2? If AP2, the car is not yet equipped with the software but if it's AP1, what alerts did the car give you for potential sideways impact?

I had a situation yesterday when a pickup was driving on the shoulder on a two lane rural road, slowly not sure why, but when I tried to pass in the only lane available to me, my car alerted me to a potential collision.

This brings up something I have been thinking about for a while: will kids born now ever drive a car that has a steering wheel?

16 years from now who knows what tech will be in cars. I'm hoping for level 5 autonomy.
That's what I tell my 14year old son who is looking forward to getting his DL in a couple of years and I am definitely not looking forward to. I keep telling him with Level 5 autonomy he won't need a DL;)

Reactions: jonman
@jonman - you bring up an excellent point. I was going to ask you earlier - are you AP1 or 2? If AP2, the car is not yet equipped with the software but if it's AP1, what alerts did the car give you for potential sideways impact?

I had a situation yesterday when a pickup was driving on the shoulder on a two lane rural road, slowly not sure why, but when I tried to pass in the only lane available to me, my car alerted me to a potential collision.

I wish I had AP2, but not so fortunate. I heard the one alert, but that wasn't until he was in front of me.

What kind of image is shown, if any?

I had a semi come a little too close to my side and those distance indicators just turned red but the car didn't take any action or give any audible alert.

It's a 2-channel DR650 Blackvue, so there should have been a 2nd rear facing camera. If you have the rear facing camera info it will tell the whole story. No point in arguing who was right and who was wrong without the whole story. The Prius shouldn't have continued on the shoulder though.

It's a 2-channel DR650 Blackvue, so there should have been a 2nd rear facing camera. If you have the rear facing camera info it will tell the whole story. No point in arguing who was right and who was wrong without the whole story. The Prius shouldn't have continued on the shoulder though.

Correct, it is a 2CH system. Earlier I posted that the rear is not installed due to my damaging the rear cable while pushing it through the headliner. :(

• move the car over?
  • brake?
  • sound alert?

AP1 does have a side collision alert and mitigation mode - based on the side ultrasound it'll sound alerts and ultimately steer away from a car that's closing in on the side. I don't think it reacts to things that are near the car but not actively getting closer, though, and I'm not sure how reliable it is - I've read of a few cases where it saved someone; the principle video I know of is actually from the guy that died in the FL AP crash last year.

You are idiot. All of you. I create account after friend showed me film on the YouTube.

I am Malik and am from India and am driver of Prius in this film. I always drive on left lane when emergency at house. Fire caught my kitchen and I needed to drive fast. In India it is customary to honk when passing. I was never behind stupid Tesla. Tesla is stupid car with idiot drivers.

All on this post are not educated and don't know situation. Now I know your car.

No, in India, too many cows on shoulder. Everybody get out, carry car over top of other cars. Easy with 20 people in Prius.

Fire in kitchen was mother burning wife for disrespect.