TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Toyota Prius brake checks me

Discussion in 'Model X' started by jonman, Jan 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jonman

jonman Member

Good question really. I was assuming he wouldn't continue on the shoulder, but yes, I should have made more room for him.

• Like x 2
  2. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

@jonman - my apologies if I sound condescending but unfortunately you were only aggravating the situation. Not knowing why the other driver was in such a hurry- high on drugs, cat stuck in a tree, house in fire, etc the best strategy for anyone on that road is to give this person safe passage without adding more aggression. And if fortunately a state trooper is on duty, they can take over the situation before anything bad happens.

And since you have been a state trooper, I would expect you to have demonstrated defensive driving rather than the aggressive behavior that your video shows.

Again, my apologies- I am not the one to make judgement on you. I am in no way approving the behavior of the other driver either. It's good nothing happened and everyone was safe. But this was a situation ready to explode.

• Like x 1
  3. jonman

jonman Member

Totally agree, I should have moved over to allow his maneuver but it is what it is. I have been in emergency situations before trying to get home to a dying family member so who knows what his reasons were.

Thoughts of more aggressive behavior could have been:
    • keeping pace with him so he couldn't get in front of me
    • tailgating him
    • flashing high beams
    • clipping his bumper to force a pit maneuver (deadly at that speed)
    I would never do any of those things so I guess just sitting there was what I thought best at the time.

I wonder what AP should have done, if anything, when detecting a vehicle that close to your side?
    • move the car over?
    • brake?
    • sound alert?
    Is there a side collision alert and if there is, what would the car do?

4. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

The minimum requirement is far less than when I was in HS school, and the instructors are not as good.

All parents should enroll their kids in a Defensive Driving School which is not legally required. For US residents, I recommend B.R.A.K.E.S. school for teens.

5. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

I doubt he would have brake checked if he didn't hear the long-horn-honk while passing on the shoulder at 80mph while closing in on the truck. Guy could have had a child hurt or killed and was rushing to them and probably would have been in highly excited mode. Avoid them, let them go. It's their issue. If you are a police officer, you can engage to protect others.

6. jonman

jonman Member

This brings up something I have been thinking about for a while: will kids born now ever drive a car that has a steering wheel?

16 years from now who knows what tech will be in cars. I'm hoping for level 5 autonomy.

7. PedanticOne

PedanticOne MyTesla Refresh Champion

I guess this goes to show: always install both dash cams. Side ones too if you can manage. :)

8. jonman

jonman Member

Side ones? That sounds like a lot of work. Where would you mount the side ones?

9. PedanticOne

People have done it. I think there might be a thread on the forums here, but I'm not sure I liked the location they put them in (though I can't exactly remember where they were).

Or you get one of those 360 degree cams and mount it to the top of the car :)

• Funny x 1
  10. jonman

jonman Member

Haha. Now that would be cool.

11. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

@jonman - you bring up an excellent point. I was going to ask you earlier - are you AP1 or 2? If AP2, the car is not yet equipped with the software but if it's AP1, what alerts did the car give you for potential sideways impact?

I had a situation yesterday when a pickup was driving on the shoulder on a two lane rural road, slowly not sure why, but when I tried to pass in the only lane available to me, my car alerted me to a potential collision.

12. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

That's what I tell my 14year old son who is looking forward to getting his DL in a couple of years and I am definitely not looking forward to. I keep telling him with Level 5 autonomy he won't need a DL;)

• Like x 1
  13. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Active Member

Keeping left still happens, but not being taught how the drive does not exist in Europe.

14. jonman

jonman Member

I wish I had AP2, but not so fortunate. I heard the one alert, but that wasn't until he was in front of me.

What kind of image is shown, if any?

I had a semi come a little too close to my side and those distance indicators just turned red but the car didn't take any action or give any audible alert.

15. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

I got a red car on the dash, loud and rapid beeping audio alert and if I remember correctly, below the red car there was a text about pending collision.

• Informative x 1
  16. dmd2005

dmd2005 Member

It's a 2-channel DR650 Blackvue, so there should have been a 2nd rear facing camera. If you have the rear facing camera info it will tell the whole story. No point in arguing who was right and who was wrong without the whole story. The Prius shouldn't have continued on the shoulder though.

17. PedanticOne

Why do people post without reading the stuff in between? :p

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  18. jonman

jonman Member

Correct, it is a 2CH system. Earlier I posted that the rear is not installed due to my damaging the rear cable while pushing it through the headliner. :(

19. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

AP1 does have a side collision alert and mitigation mode - based on the side ultrasound it'll sound alerts and ultimately steer away from a car that's closing in on the side. I don't think it reacts to things that are near the car but not actively getting closer, though, and I'm not sure how reliable it is - I've read of a few cases where it saved someone; the principle video I know of is actually from the guy that died in the FL AP crash last year.

20. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

No, in India, too many cows on shoulder. Everybody get out, carry car over top of other cars. Easy with 20 people in Prius.

Fire in kitchen was mother burning wife for disrespect.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1