TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Toyota's new commercial response to Elon: "Fueled by BS"

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by yobigd20, Apr 24, 2015.

1. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

#1 yobigd20, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Toyota's got a new commercial out as a direct response to Elon Musk's comments that fuel cell cars are BS.

more details: http://www.inc.com/ananya-bhattacharya/morgan-spurlock-calls-BS-elon-musk.html

- - - Updated - - -

what they conviently forgot to mention though is how much wasted energy was spent to convert the BS to purified gas and converted again using a steam methane reformer to convert to hydrogen to power the vehicle. all that wasted energy. it's worth pointing out this chart which clearly shows how inefficient hydrogen powered cars are when compared to battery powered electric vehicles:

hydrogencar.png

2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I like how they gloss over the energy required to turn the manure into hydrogen. As if loading manure, driving it to a processing center, using steam and heat, blah blah blah, were free. Sure the generation of electricity isn't free, but the economy of electricity production is so far ahead of the economy of hydrogen production (and rapidly getting cheaper) that the comparison between electricity and hydrogen is still laughable.

The only people excited over this are those who will make billions from converting the "everything" to hydrogen so that they can sell hydrogen to gullible consumers at perhaps a slight savings over gasoline.

(Cross-posted with above. Please see the above post for a visually attractive alternative to my rambling.)

3. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

I liked the commercial.

If only their engineering department was as good as their marketing department...

4. Ubbe

Ubbe Member

Their marketing department is fueled directly by the BS, so they are 100% efficient.

5. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Priceless.

6. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

Even if you take out all the energy losses in producing the hydrogen, the pain associated with building and maintaining a delivery infrastructure would seem to be a deal-breaker all by its lonesome!!!

7. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Finally had the time to watch it. Wow just wow. It shows that Toyota's target audience are people who haven't graduated high school.

"Hydrogen is abundant". "There's lots of hydrogen in manure". "Here's a steam methane reformer- this is where the magic happens". "With the help of steam and heat the hydrogen is stripped from the manure".

Wait, so the steam and heat just magically appeared from nowhere!?!

This was episode one of "Toyota fueled by everything"

Can't wait for episode 2: "This is the ocean. It's full of hydrogen. We just pop the water in to our magical hydrolysis machine, powered by solar power and wind turbines and just like magic compressed hydrogen appears in the other end" (no mention, of course, of the efficiency)

I'm hoping that at least a small segment of the population will be smart enough to question where the ENERGY actually comes from. (Hint: it doesn't come from the hydrogen in the same way the energy in my car battery doesn't come from the Lithium or Cobalt).

8. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

^^^ This! I couldn't believe they just glossed over that as if it didn't matter. Forget about the gas-powered tractor to load the gas-powered pickup truck to transport the manure to the field.

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#9 ecarfan, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
    I call bullsh*t on that piece of marketing smoke and mirrors.

It certainly will impress people who know nothing about science. Remember, the guy in the video is "an engineer"! So golly gee he must be smart.

On the plus side, it's not every day that you get to see a slick corporate video showing cows defecating.

10. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

I wonder how much electricity could be produced from the methane from that cow manure .. would be funny to see a side by side comparison of how many miles the cow manure would push a hydrogen car and how many it would push a BEV, especially when you balanced the wasted energy from the hydrogen process to the EV side.

11. rickgt

rickgt Enthusiast owner/member

#11 rickgt, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    these guys from Toyota are smoking their own BS. Unbelievable that they can be so ignorant.

12. yobigd20

#12 yobigd20, Apr 24, 2015
    Can someone handy at producing videos make one called "Toyota's commercial Fueled by BS is BS" lol

13. yobigd20

#13 yobigd20, Apr 24, 2015
    Or "Fueled by BS is full of marketing BS"

14. paulkva

paulkva Member

I was particularly amused by the ICE pickup truck they used to transport the manure to the processing facility. So many people conveniently ignore the costs of transporting fuel, though admittedly that's less than some of the other inefficiencies in the chart below the video.

15. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

And the tractor to load it.

16. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

@OP - Glad you brought attention to this. I was well aware of the energy investment needed to harvest hydrogen. What I was not aware of was that fuel cells are only 50% efficient (?!?) I mean that seems crazy. Why are we subsidizing a technology that's currently extremely inefficient? I guess ICE are much less than 50%, but we ought to be turning over a new leaf with alternative fuels. Maybe 10 years down the line when the chemistry improves...

17. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Very well done commercial if you don't know the truth behind it. Most people won't be bothered to do any research but the fact that they can't find any fuel stations might help lead them to BEVs anyway.

18. eco5280

eco5280 Member

Came here to say this but you said it very well already. +1 "We take that poop, presto chango, you're driving!"

19. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

This sounds fun. My car gets three miles per hundred pounds of BS!

Well, at least Toyota didn't lie outright in this ad - they merely neglected to put some pieces into perspective (and thereby left the audience with some false impressions - but I've seen much worse in advertising.)
    Walter

20. eco5280

eco5280 Member