TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Toyota's PHEV/REEV Plans

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Brent, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Brent

Brent Member

A few tidbits on Toyota's lithium ion battery plans from today's NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/26/business/26toyota.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#2 TEG, May 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Toyota is taking their time getting into the PHEV space.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Interesting.. don't a lot of people rag on Tesla for using "antiquated" Lion batteries?

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

My opinion is that the reason Toyota is not going the way of the pure EV is they don't believe battery powered cars are not ready. That the technology at this point will create a non-perfect car not up to their high standards. These testing of the waters is just lip service to appear interested.

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Well, the last time they tried to sell a pure EV in the USA (RAV4EV) they got rather burned by the experience, didn't they? Perhaps it isn't too surprising that they are a bit tentative this time around.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Good point. But one wonders if the same people are even in position?

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I think Toyota has a strong corporate memory. As a company they really don't like to make the same mistakes twice.

9. domenick

domenick Nerd

I suspect Toyota is down with Sun Tzu.

10. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

This is exactly what I'm thinking. I'd bet they have some EV tech ready to go. But right now they believe the most profitable thing for them to do is keep selling Priuses to further amortize their current technology.

11. DDB

DDB Member

12. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

With four times less EV range...

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I always thought Bill Reinert (Toyota's Advanced Technology group manager) was a plug-in advocate since in "Who Killed the Electric Car" he basically down played their own fuel cell research vehicles as being too far off. Recently it seems he is saying that the current hybrid Prius is 'good enough'.

dustbury.com » The first law of Disney

14. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

It is a shame that he isn't more favorable on EVs and PHEVs. He seems very knowledgeable and intelligent about the whole situation. Some have accused him of starting to "tow the Toyota party line" a bit more recently as he gets ready to retire though. It is true that the batteries are perhaps still too expensive for unsubsidized mainstream adoption just now.

16. Serge

Serge Member

Maneuvering?

Toyota has been known to drop prices in response to competitive pressure (as recently as this Spring in response to Insight II). Also, 2012 is still 2.5 years away and TM has a lot of non-plug-in Prii to sell in that time-frame. This may well be a "message of reassurance" to potential Prius buyers: "Don't hold out for the plug-in version (expensive, limited EV range); go on and buy that 3-Gen Prius now."
    If Volt rolls off in 2011 as planned and sells well (eroding away Toyota's Prius business), they may well announce the imminent release of PP with lower price and higher EV range, because they worked on it day and night despite public pronouncements ;)

17. Serge

Serge Member