Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPA -> JAX -> Savannah. Any suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there!

I live in Tampa, gig in Jacksonville next week, and vacation in Savannah the weekend following. Leaving Savannah, it will be as straight of a shot to Tampa as possible.

Considering we have no Northern superchargers at this time, I'm trying to sort out whether this will be a reasonable trip or not.

Looking at Larry's club member charging map, we have no HPWC's in Orlando, no charging at all between Sanford and Jacksonville... Without wanting to squat in people's garages for several hours at a time each way, and without wanting to drive 50mph much of the way - there is not a reasonable way to accomplish this trip, is there?

Maybe there is something that I am not considering...!

All thoughts are welcome :)

Tampa to Jacksonville seems to be an easy trip. Just don't go 1mph over in Waldo or Lawtey.

Jacksonville to Savannah should be speed unlimited on I95.

As for the trip back. It isn't that far. You probably will have to slow it down a good bit to make it. But I would think 55-60 mph and a 90 minute detour at a RV park and you should be fine. And there should be a LOT of RV parks on that route.

Not an MS owner, but I've done this trip many times. The route I always take is (from Savannah): I-95 South to I-295 to I-10, west on I-10 to US301, south on US301 to 326 (just north of Ocala), west on 326 to I-75 - take south to Tampa. You can actually save 5 miles by taking US301 from I-95 (Exit 373) to I-10. Taking this route vs Orlando/I-4 will save you approximately 30 total miles. An added benefit is that the travel on US301 is typically slower than highway speeds and going 50-60 is acceptable: just be careful of speedtraps in Lawtey, Starke, Waldo, etc..

I see a return trip from Savannah to Tampa working this way (my apologies for errors in anticipated miles/range):

1. Assuming you get 265 miles when leaving Savannah, travel to a quickcharger located at a Nissan dealership in Ocala (2200 SW College Rd., Ocala, FL). MAP SHOWING ROUTE This route is 230 miles. In this instance, you would stay on US301 until you reach the Ocala charger.

2. Based on potentially 30 remaining miles in your battery, you would need approximately 60-70 miles worth of charge in order to make it back to Tampa, which is approximately 95-100 miles. There is a Carrabba's, Golden Corral, Taco Bell :) and Panera Bread all within walking distance of the charger.

Plugshare Link to Quickchargers: LINK

I hope this helps at least a little bit.

The route suggested by @Ufrugger (Go Gators!) is one of the main reasons I formally recommended to TM Ocala as a site for a supercharger and not Gainesville. Another big reason was the extreme likelihood a Gainesville SC would either be ICE'd or impossible to deal with on a UF football weekend. Finally, Gainesville is closer to Lake City than Ocala and thus is less appealing. @El Supreme will probably concur Lake City will almost certainly be a must if traveling to/from Atlanta to the Tampa Bay area, even when topping off at the proposed Macon SC. To me Ocala just makes the most sense.

Everyone! Thank you for the info! I have decided that, with the info you have provided as well as a finding here in Jax, I will be using the P85 for Tampa -> Jacksonville -> Savannah -> Tampa.

The finding - I spoke with a few people at the hotel I'm staying at this and next week, asking about power... assuming there would be a 110v outside somewhere.
What they ended up showing me were 2 service corridors that, by the exit door (right at the parking lot rear), each has NEMA 14-50 outlets! One is labeled 60A, one is labeled 50A. They said that they use those to hook up power distribution carts for events, and that they'd be happy to let me use them for the Tesla... as long as they get to check the car out ;)

Woohoo!

There are public chargers at the Town Center mall of Jacksonville and by the Nascar building in Daytona Beach. Not sure what type and which network, but probably accessible by the J1772 adapter. Plugshare will have more info.

I have charged at both those locations and they are indeed J1772 chargers (ChargePoint). The Daytona is at a Buffalo Wild Wings and there are several stores in the plaza and even more across the street. The St. Johns Town Center location is an outdoor mall with plenty of options for dining and shopping.

Ellis Square is the Whitaker Street Underground Garage. It's $16 for overnight parking. But it's only $7 for a 24 hour or $12 for a 48 hour visitors parking pass that is sold at the Visitor Center just off the end of I-16 in the old Central of Georgia freight house. The parking pass allows for any parking at meters or city parking garages during the time period bought. The Andaz Hotel is right above the garage and the Hyatt is a block over along with other hotels. Only 2 chargers even though there are 4 marked spaces. 208V 30A for 18 miles per hour. Did Jax to Savannah and then to Hilton Head. Had 25 miles range left (finally saw the power limitation line) - took 13 hours to max charge. But Savannah is walking compact and taxis are not expensive for outlying areas.

Swegman - It was the Marriott Jacksonville. They don't really offer this up - certain shift managers were willing to allow it during certain hours during my stay... You'll need a 30' heavy duty RV extension cable.

Or you could just charge a few miles down the road at the shopping center :)

If anyone plans to use the chargers that are in the St Johns Town Center in Jacksonville, be advised that they are no longer free. You have to have a SemaCharge card to use them I called Sema and asked if the charger can be activated over the air if I give them my credit card, and was told NO. I ended up having to charge at Coggins Nissan at 10600 Atlantic Blvd. They have a 30A charger in front of the salesroom and a second 30A charger behind the service bays.

I had booked a room at the Homewoods Hilton in the St. Johns Town Center because of their representation that I could charge the car at the two chargers in the Town Center. They told me the chargers were free. They were free, up until about a month ago.

Not only a change to pay but look at Sema. For me it appears that they charge $20 up front when I will seldom use their chargers and at .49cents per Kw I might as well be buying gas to say nothing about the time involved. For a full charge this would take many hours and cost $35. I was looking at the Homewood suites but i cant justify leaving my car in a mall overnight and paying $35. I will only use these chargers as a last resort which is where I am with Blink. Maybe I don't understand Sema but this looks like I charge at RVparks and hope for the SC.

I have charged at both those locations and they are indeed J1772 chargers (ChargePoint). The Daytona is at a Buffalo Wild Wings and there are several stores in the plaza and even more across the street. The St. Johns Town Center location is an outdoor mall with plenty of options for dining and shopping.
update: the town center in JAX is a sema charger and requires their card/prepayment

- - - Updated - - -

I charged at the St. John's Town Center location last month. 2x Level 2 slots (30amp) and free use.
not free anymore

- - - Updated - - -

I charged at the St. John's Town Center location last month. 2x Level 2 slots (30amp) and free use.
not free anymore