Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS after switching rims and offset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have experience dealing withTPMS sensor fault error after swapping rims to different size and offset?

I have a 2021 Model S Performance (Raven). About a year ago, I switched to aftermarket tires and 20 x 9 rims with +35 ET for all 4 weels and used aftermarket Continental TIS-01 433Mhz TPMS sensors from Tsportline. No problems with car recognizing them.

I recently switched the rear 2 set of rims to 20 x 10 with +32ET. The rims are now flush with fender. But the car does not always recognize the back 2 TPMS sensors. Sometimes they come on, sometimes not. I have had local tire shop check the TPMS sensors and they are able to get signal from the tread side of the tire, but not from the sidewall. But they say the sensors are good. I've also swapped these Continental sensors with the original Tesla sensors that came with the car, but same problem.

A hand device picks up TPMS sensor signal only from the tire tread side, but not from the side wall. Car also doesn't recognize the rear two Tesla sensors. Even had Tesla center relearn the sensors, but problem persists. Wondering if the sensors were damaged during tire/rim swap or if new offset or rim width could disrupt the car picking up the TPMS sensor signal.

Anyone deal with this type of problem? I may just buy a brand new set of sensors, but not sure if I should swap all 4 or just the back 2.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Forgot to mention that I have done the wheel reconfiguration from the service menu and allowed everything to shut down and restart the car after about 5 minutes. Driven for almost 2 weeks now, with up to 45 minute drives at highway speeds, yet still car will recognize only one of the rear 2 sensors or neither.

I will answer my own thread in case this helps someone in the future who stumbles on this thread.

Issue has been resolved. The cause was (1) TPMS sensors installed upside down by the tire shop (the sensors are installed in a valve stem adapter aka "shorties" b/c otherwise the OE valve stems would scrape the calipers), and (2) Tesla doing a relearn while leaving old sensors in the trunk. Here is a link to a thread where I discuss the problem in more detail.

• Helpful
Reactions: All In