Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS and Wheel Installation Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have a 2017 Model S 75D. I was looking at possibly purchasing the turbine rims (used) and a set that I was interested in has TPMS Gen 1 sensors. Would these technically still work with my car? Any limitations to these sensors versus the Gen 2?

Also, installation of the wheels and alignment, is this something i should take to Tesla or any reputable shop would be able to do? Tesla said it would cost 350$ mount/align

Thanks!

I literally dealt with this today!

I could not get my Gen 1 sensors in the Turbines to work on my Gen 2 MS.

I went to discount tire and had them swap out my old sensors on my old 19s and put them into the 21s. It cost $170 in labor to do the following:
8 tire dis mounts
4 tire mounts
4 tire disposal (toss old 19" tires) ((so you can get it cheaper without this fee))

Tesla quoted me $125 per hour and would take roughly 2 hours. So I chose discount tire since it was next to my house.

Everything works fine now!

dealt with this too.

keeps it simple; my explanation:
car sensor and tire sensor have to be the same company.

gen1= car-detector=baolong , tire-tpms sensor =baolong 1010938-00-B
gen2= car-detector=continental, tire tpms sensor= continental-vdo 1034502-00-A/ 1034502-00-c/ SE52068

to my understanding.
tmps sensor doesnt work/transmit - you'll get a notification flag on the mcu
car detector doesnt work/transmit - the car need service, may be in-operable. federal law issue; so tesla makes this error type a hard stop & disables the car.

bought tires at Costco. gave them the rims, tpms, tires. no extra fees on top of the 1 cent tire install promo.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
I literally dealt with this today!

I could not get my Gen 1 sensors in the Turbines to work on my Gen 2 MS.

I went to discount tire and had them swap out my old sensors on my old 19s and put them into the 21s. It cost $170 in labor to do the following:
8 tire dis mounts
4 tire mounts
4 tire disposal (toss old 19" tires) ((so you can get it cheaper without this fee))

Tesla quoted me $125 per hour and would take roughly 2 hours. So I chose discount tire since it was next to my house.

Everything works fine now!

I purchased 21" turbines and tpms separately. then i went to tirerack to purchase tires for the 21" turbines. The local firestone unmounted my 19's, mounted the tires on the 21" and installed the new TPMS. $88 in labor from firestone because I didn't need tire disposal.