Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scabbotts

Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2021
Maine
I just installed new 19" tires and rims from TSportline yesterday. They came with the TPMS already installed but the tire
pressures are not showing up on the screen. Do you need to connect them somehow?

I just installed new 19" tires and rims from TSportline yesterday. They came with the TPMS already installed but the tire
pressures are not showing up on the screen. Do you need to connect them somehow?

Whilst hoping not to sound like a jerk, did TSportline use the Bluetooth TPMS the model Y relies on that to date can only be sourced from Tesla?

They say on their website that they use Tesla factory sensors. I will send them an email just wasn't sure if anybody had any experience with them.
Thanks,

Bought new TPMS from Tesla for my aftermarket wheels and it took about 1/4 mile of driving for all 4 to show up.

For the MY there is no other option or aftermarket TPMS yet. There are 2 different part numbers though as there is a newer version, but both are Y only. Also, point of fact, I purchased 4 TPMS from Tesla and installed on new Replika R241 rims and new tires. I flicked to the tire pressure page before exiting my garage. 2 of them showed up immediately, a 3rd came on by the end of the driveway and the 4th about 2 blocks later. Not sure why you'd disagree with a factual experience by another owner.

The Y autodetects....

If TSportline did not install Bluetooth Tesla OE TPMS sensors on the wheels, but instead intalled 433 MHz TPMS sensors - you should be able to have a local tire center detect them with their scanners.

If those are OE Tesla Bluetooth TPMS sensors - your Model Y should detect them.

I bet TSportline put 433 MHz sensors...

Or, I suggest "waking up" the sensors by deflating (say about 5 PSI lower) and reinflating the tires - then go drive. The Y should auto detect if they are the right sensors.

Last edited:
Reactions: scabbotts
Just curious how does the car know which car the sensors are on? E.g what if you pull up next to another car that also just installed sensors, and is it possible your car tires pair up with that car temporarily? Wondering how often it "resets" the connection so it's always on the right car since there isn't a pair thing going on?

Just curious how does the car know which car the sensors are on? E.g what if you pull up next to another car that also just installed sensors, and is it possible your car tires pair up with that car temporarily? Wondering how often it "resets" the connection so it's always on the right car since there isn't a pair thing going on?

Possible, but what are the odds.

I was actually thinking about testing this idea when I have spare Tesla BT TPMS at hand - don't ask me how, long story for other thread...

The car must be relying on the unique ID that each of the 4 sensors have, and it keeps it in memory to connect to them each time they get activated by the drive.

If the "ID" is not detected - the car (Model Y) auto detects new sensors. It's highly unlikely for your car to detect other car's TPMS sensor reading since those are already assigned to that (neighboring) car...with compatible frequency (Bluetooth vs 433 MHz for example)
20200808_060416_10085.JPG
20200808_060403_10083.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: frankvb

Possible but highly improbable. What can happen though is that the sensors get recognized as the wrong wheel ( ie; front right instead of front left) which happened to me.

The Y autodetects....

If TSportline did not install Bluetooth Tesla OE TPMS sensors on the wheels, but instead intalled 433 MHz TPMS sensors - you should be able to have a local tire center detect them with their scanners.

If those are OE Tesla Bluetooth TPMS sensors - your Model Y should detect them.

I bet TSportline put 433 MHz sensors...

Or, I suggest "waking up" the sensors by deflating (say about 5 PSI lower) and reinflating the tires - then go drive. The Y should auto detect if they are the right sensors.
Thanks for the information. They did connect finally. Didn't pay attention to exactly how many miles it took but i looked yesterday and the tire pressures were indicated on the screen.

Reactions: RoBoRaT