Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS CONTINUES TO FAIL... [RANT] And they are gonna send people the mars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks Scott for a clearing it out for me

sow you say only tesla can do reset if I change antennas ? or is the car doing a full reset at driving?

because I am sure the universal sensors tx I have had a tool under the car to read the code just under the plate front and back

The Roadster cannot do a reset by driving. The newer Model S cars can.

You either need to get the Tesla service guy to take his handehld unit and walk around the car to read the addresses of each wheel transmitter, then plug his unit in to program the main controller and program the antennas...

Or, it you are daring enough, plug in a sniffer like I described in my other thread (That TPMS issue, summarized) and program it yourself.

Or, there are some people on the forum who purchased the programmer device. But it's expensive, and not worth it.

• Informative
Reactions: Roadster
thanks Scott
I have just now changed the 2 antennas and programed the sensores to the code from the car I took them from and still the problem it there maby I have not got the correct tpms main unit changed .I changed a unit that was ontop off the aluframe for the l/H door hinge true the hole that comes if you take the panel off for turning the headlamps on.
but I can see others take the dashboard out ?

Tesla Tool Option 1.jpg

Hi Michael,

I have done much research in this area and with help from many others here I have been able to crack the code.
Before getting into details, I have some questions for you:

What was the initial error message?
What are the last 4 digits in your car VIN number?
What were and what are the 8 character IDs of your tire sensors and their locations?
Front left address:
Front right address:
Rear right address:
Rear left address:
Guessing from your avatar that you and your car are located in Denmark - Is that correct?
I am not sure my work on my USA car will translate to your Denmark car,
but I am willing to try...
Did your Tesla dealer have the tool and harness shown above???

Thank you,

Shawn

View attachment 404174
Hi Michael,

I have done much research in this area and with help from many others here I have been able to crack the code.
Before getting into details, I have some questions for you:

What was the initial error message?
What are the last 4 digits in your car VIN number?
What were and what are the 8 character IDs of your tire sensors and their locations?
Front left address:
Front right address:
Rear right address:
Rear left address:
Guessing from your avatar that you and your car are located in Denmark - Is that correct?
I am not sure my work on my USA car will translate to your Denmark car,
but I am willing to try...
Did your Tesla dealer have the tool and harness shown above???

Thank you,

Shawn
Hallo Shawn

the car is imported from USA and have vin 0782 (sport 2010)(it was damaged in 2013 and I got it last year and made it good)
the problem with car is tpms lamp flashing and small screen fault (tmps hardware fault) and no indication off pressure
the fault can reset after 2-3 key turn but comes after driving the 10-15 min
I have a extra car (signature 86)that I am rebuilding and I took the hole system from this to test with
id from sensors
01010A4C
01010A0A
01010AC1
010109F7

I got from AUTEL the maxitpms-pad and 4 universal 415-433mHZ sensors
I have used the US setting 2010-2012 tesla roadster to program because the (old )before 2010 is not in HEX code as the code I pulled from the old .
also the system has no trigger boxes just 2 antennas

I am now looking into getting the tesla tool 1013547-00-A that you send photo of

when I was at tesla shop I was not allowed to the car just coffee room :-(

my plan is to install ovms3 but they are in backorder because of rohs testing

kind regards Michael

Hi Michael,

STOP... TPMS between serial 0086 and 0782 are NOT compatible... You have a relative of mine, my Roadster is

I do not think you will be able to get the Tesla TPMS tool. I have been trying for 2 years to no avail...
A kind member from this forum loaned me his tool so I could decode the data.

Your Roadster 086 should have used Beru sensors and it will reprogram from driving the car. None of that system will work in
your car 0782.

Your Roadster 0782 has the Baolong sensors and needs the Tesla tool or an analog to program your tires.
There are 3 parts to your Roadster 0782 TPMS in addition to the sensors:
6003334 Roadster TPMS ECU
6003335 Roadster Front antenna <<< These are not the same as each other...
6003337 Roadster Rear antenna <<<

Front antenna is located above front "belly pan" and the rear antenna is located above the rear pan.
The rear antenna should be visible through the rear grill.
The ECU is inside of the front dashboard near the steering column.

If you have these 3 parts in place and connected, we could proceed to programming.
Are the addresses you listed for serial 086 or serial 0782?

Thank you,

Shawn

my next thing to do is to pull the sensores from the wheels that was on my 2010 and pull the codes using a power supply because they are out of battery.
then I have the original setup with codes and all to test .
I will then install ecu and antennas code the sensores to original codes once more and test if they get power(the antennas)
and then drive once more :-(

this tpms system is more difficult then bring the car back to life after bricked and frame damage for 6 years :)

Hi Michael,

You will not need a power supply to pull the codes from the Baolong sensors.
The Baolong sensors have their addresses stamped onto the sensors.
If you program the Autel sensors with the same address and return it to the same position on
the car, you should be good to go.
The antennas keep the tire addresses even when they have no power...

See the picture below of the Baolong sensor address stamped onto the part...
You probably only needed new "cloned" sensors as the original sensors batteries are dead after
so much time...

Good luck,

Shawn
TPMS-4.jpg

Hi Michael,

I forgot to mention that when everything is installed and programmed - You will need to drive 1 or 2 miles to get
the registration of tire pressures...

Set your VDS to tire pressures and it will show -- for each tire, after a mile or two it is nice to watch the tires populate
with their respective pressures.

Shawn

I'm getting 4 new tires installed on my 2.5 along with 4 new Baolong sensors. Is there still no way to program the new sensors myself? Should I write down the number on each sensor before they install them? One of my old sensors still works after 8.5 years! I'm going to a local independent tire shop. Tesla's nearest service center is 2.5 hrs away.

Hi Henry and PV-EV,

With the help of some generous people on this list, I have cracked the code...

First - IF you know the addresses and positions of the current TPMS sensors, their addresses may be copied
to programmable sensors and if placed in the correct wheel position, and if there is no corruption of the TPMS ECU memory
this will work...

For Henry and others - If you buy new sensors with new addresses you will need to have the addresses written to
the car's ECU. I had my Baolong sensors replaced with Dill 2112.
They have their own addresses so I needed a way to program the ECU.

If you record the addresses and locations of the new TPMS you will not need a TPMS reading tool...

The development I worked on with the help of others was WRITING the addresses to the TPMS ECU...

The TPMS ECU can be programmed on the OBD connector in the car over the K-line.
The odd thing is that it seems to not observe K-line protocol...
It is a 5 volt high signal on an asynchronous line at 9600bps - 8 none and 1.
The data "word" consists of a start signal where the voltage drops, 8 data characters, and the end signal
where the voltage rises.

I will show a link to the tool I use.

Edited to add link to programmer: https://www.automotivedataconverters.com/model-9010

It also requires a custom OBD harness From DB9- pin 6 to OBD- pin 4
From DB9- pin 3 to OBD- pin 7

Mark Webb-Johnson is working to add this support to the OVMS3.
I know he has been really bust lately...

Shawn

Last edited:
Hi Brentt,

I have studied this and was able to create a tool to program the TPMS in the Roadster ECU on serials greater than 500.

What problems are you having???
Have you visited a tire store to have your TPMS evaluated???
Their tools can evaluate the battery condition good or dead and record your addresses for good battery sensors. (and their locations)
If you have your TPMS sensors evaluated as good and record the addresses - I have a tool that can program the car
to accept these sensors.
Other than the Tesla tool and my workaround, there is no current TPMS programmer that will program your car.

Please let me know what is happening and I may be able to help...

Shawn