Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS display in V7.0 with older sensors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally agree with the above. How much work can it be to add a small section under Settings/Service showing each tire pressure with a drop-down menu next to it allowing us to assign each to a wheel location? Done!

It should be totally do-able. My previous car had a kind of clever way to do this if you wanted to do it yourself: You'd put the car in setup mode and then one of either tail light or parking light would flash. You'd go to the tire on that corner of the car and add or remove about 5 PSI, then the horn would chirp and the next light would blink. You'd repeat this until all 4 tires were set. The dealer had some sort of hand tool to make this process a lot faster, but this manual method was great for guys like me that want to do their own seasonal wheel swaps.

It should be totally do-able. My previous car had a kind of clever way to do this if you wanted to do it yourself: You'd put the car in setup mode and then one of either tail light or parking light would flash. You'd go to the tire on that corner of the car and add or remove about 5 PSI, then the horn would chirp and the next light would blink. You'd repeat this until all 4 tires were set. The dealer had some sort of hand tool to make this process a lot faster, but this manual method was great for guys like me that want to do their own seasonal wheel swaps.

Exactly. And when your tires are rotated, the tech could easily just re-assign the locations using the setup/settings screen. Drag-and-drop! So simple.

Our 12 year old Murano cannot distinguish sensor location, but still displays all 4 readings. Even if we don't know which tire is low, it is still very helpful to be able to see and monitor the data (i.e. pressure is a bit low, but stable; slow leak - pressure reducing over time; sensor not transmitting; or tire is going flat fast). Since the data is already available on the service screens, why not simply make it available to the driver (as others have suggested). For those who know how to interpret the data, it can be very helpful to have it.

By the way, did I mention the Murano is 12 years old? :smile:

After people stating older cars can upgrade for $1,000 I asked the Rocklin service center about this. They are saying my early Signature car doesn't qualify for this for some reason. Maybe they just don't have the latest information.

My P85 Classic (VIN 8XXX) is being updated on Wednesday. I had been holding off on installing V7 of the firmware, but they said the update will require V7 to be installed. In this regard, they stated that the most current version of V7 as of today, Monday, Nov. 2, is 2.8.188, and that is what they will install on my car unless a newer version gets released in the next two days.

My P85 Classic (VIN 8XXX) is being updated on Wednesday. I had been holding off on installing V7 of the firmware, but they said the update will require V7 to be installed. In this regard, they stated that the most current version of V7 as of today, Monday, Nov. 2, is 2.8.188, and that is what they will install on my car unless a newer version gets released in the next two days.

2.8.188 when the last highest version in the wild was 2.7.85?

2.8.188 when the last highest version in the wild was 2.7.85?

All I can do is repeat what the SC emailed me, which is as follows:

"The Firmware version is constantly updating. It has changed twice since we last spoke. We will install the latest that is available during the appointment. The latest is 2.8.188 and will likely change once or twice before the appointment. Thanks and see you Wednesday."

According to the email, between Friday, October 30 (when I last spoke to the SC) and Monday, November 2, there have been one or two updates to the firmware. I wonder what changes are in the firmware to justify the notation change from 2.7.XX to 2.8.XX, unless it is a typo by the SC.

Classic S85 VIN 38XXX is in the shop. My Tesla App Notification told me
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446516116.126732.jpg

And later "Software update is complete."
Should get her back tomorrow!

Bad news for Rick today on the TPMS front:

"Good afternoon,

I wanted to let you know that we heard back from the regional manager as well as engineering stating we do not have authorization to perform a TPMS system retrofit. They are now investigating to find out which locations are performing that service without authorization. It has not been tested on every type of car and has no guarantee to work to display successfully at this time, so it is not yet an offered service.
"

Service Advisor

It's 2.8.188. I had to do a double take when I read the version number.

Got it yesterday.

Congrats llavalle! Any big or minor changes in the UI? Feel free to reply in the Firmware 7.0 thread instead.

- - - Updated - - -

"It has not been tested on every type of car and has no guarantee to work to display successfully at this time, so it is not yet an offered service."

Service Advisor

Something we will never know the answer to, but honestly, how much testing does a TPMS receiver need?!? I understand that antenna placement could be crucial, but this isn't rocket science and it shouldn't be that far different than newer cars. Sorry to hear about this Fiddler.

"Good afternoon,

I wanted to let you know that we heard back from the regional manager as well as engineering stating we do not have authorization to perform a TPMS system retrofit. They are now investigating to find out which locations are performing that service without authorization. It has not been tested on every type of car and has no guarantee to work to display successfully at this time, so it is not yet an offered service.
"

Service Advisor
Not sure what is going on with the various service centers. I took my car in for the upgrade today. They just called that the upgrade was completed and that it all works fine. They also upgraded the firmware at the same time. Picking up car at 6pm.

There was a moment when they said they were not sure they could do the upgrade because I have TSportline tires with Michelin Pilot A/S 3 tires. However, they got authorization from the higher ups to remove the (non-supplied Tesla) tires from the (non-supplied Tesla) wheels to swap the TPMS sensors for the new style sensors.

Not sure what is going on with the various service centers. I took my car in for the upgrade today. They just called that the upgrade was completed and that it all works fine. They also upgraded the firmware at the same time. Picking up car at 6pm.

There was a moment when they said they were not sure they could do the upgrade because I have TSportline tires with Michelin Pilot A/S 3 tires. However, they got authorization from the higher ups to remove the (non-supplied Tesla) tires from the (non-supplied Tesla) wheels to swap the TPMS sensors for the new style sensors.

Maybe I should put my OEM 21's back on the car before Rockville picks it up. I'm worried that my aftermarket 20s won't pass muster.

Maybe I should put my OEM 21's back on the car before Rockville picks it up. I'm worried that my aftermarket 20s won't pass muster.

Would probably be best to do that. Although I've had problems with the old style Tesla supplied TPMS sensors since day one (would get periodic loss of signal between the sensors and the receiver), they would not service the TPMS system under warranty because of the sensors being installed on non-Tesla "approved" wheels and tires. Tesla gave Erick authorization to do the upgrade (at my expense) to my car, but stated I would have to sign a waiver.