Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Model Y LR and recently three out of the four tires started registering low air that triggered TPMS faults.
All tires are at 36-37 psi. The tire that does not have an error is also at 36. I tried searching how to reset the tpms sensors and nothing.
Tires/wheels are still the same from being new. Any ideas. TIA.

Recommended tire pressure for 2020 Tesla Model Y is 42 psi for front tires and 42 psi for rear tires.

To reboot the computer in general I change the setting size of the wheels, and change it back again.
So I imagine this should also reset the TPMS?
That is funny, it worked. Tires have a max pressure of 50psi and 42psi is pretty close to the max. Surprised it triggered the tpms at 37.

Reactions: Watts_Up
That is funny, it worked. Tires have a max pressure of 50psi and 42psi is pretty close to the max. Surprised it triggered the tpms at 37.
The manufacturer's recommended tire pressure, in the case of the Tesla Model Y 42 PSI front and rear, is always posted on the label on the B pillar next to the driver's door. The tires on the Tesla Model Y carry an Extra Load (XL) rating. XL rated tires need to be inflated to 41/42 PSI to meet their load rating. The maximum tire pressure is molded into the sidewall of the tire, in this case 51 PSI. All tire pressure specifications are for cold tires, i.e. before being driven, not sitting in the sun. Pretty sure the reason your TPMS indicated low tire pressure is due to 37 to 36 PSI being 12% to 14% under the recommended 42 PSI. Underinflated tires run hotter and wear the edges of the tire tread faster than the center of the tire tread area. Under inflation is a leading cause of tire failure. The tires won't fail from being inflated to 51 PSI, there is a large margin of safety built into the design of the tire.

Last edited: