Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Fault Error with New OEM TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up replacing a wheel (long story) and decided to replace the TPMS too. I ordered one new OEM TPMS along with the wheel from mobile service (no SC in my area) and had the TPMS installed and tire mounted/balanced at my independent and threw the new wheel on the car. I reset the TPMS under service but the new TPMS isn't registering. Over the last 3 days I've made at least 4 drives over 10 miles and I get the "Tire pressure monitoring system fault" and none of the 4 corners register. Then after 10 miles the 3 existing TPMS register but the new one doesn't. Every drive starts the same way with none of the 4 registering and then the 3 old ones registering after 10 miles.

I've tried taking about 10psi out of the tire and putting it back in. The car has slept between drives. I've reset the MCU. Do I need to give it more time, or does it sound like I've got a faulty TPMS? Is there anything that the installer would have needed to do to "turn on" the new TPMS? Appreciate any feedback that anyone has.

I ended up replacing a wheel (long story) and decided to replace the TPMS too. I ordered one new OEM TPMS along with the wheel from mobile service (no SC in my area) and had the TPMS installed and tire mounted/balanced at my independent and threw the new wheel on the car. I reset the TPMS under service but the new TPMS isn't registering. Over the last 3 days I've made at least 4 drives over 10 miles and I get the "Tire pressure monitoring system fault" and none of the 4 corners register. Then after 10 miles the 3 existing TPMS register but the new one doesn't. Every drive starts the same way with none of the 4 registering and then the 3 old ones registering after 10 miles.

I've tried taking about 10psi out of the tire and putting it back in. The car has slept between drives. I've reset the MCU. Do I need to give it more time, or does it sound like I've got a faulty TPMS? Is there anything that the installer would have needed to do to "turn on" the new TPMS? Appreciate any feedback that anyone has.
What month and year was your car made (can find that in the driver door sticker) and what exact part number of TPMS did you buy? They're are 2 versions of TPMS sensors that are either 433Mhz or Bluetooth LE and they are not compatible with each other. That said, when you ordered one from service they would have known the appropriate party number to send you, unless they messed up or the part is defective.

Not sure if you've driven fast enough or long enough for the sensor to automatically reset, but here's what the manual says.

"After replacing one or more wheels (but not after
replacing a tire or rotating wheels), the TPMS sensors
are reset to ensure tire pressure warnings are accurate.
TPMS sensors reset automatically after driving over
15 mph (25 km/h) for longer than 10 minutes.
NOTE: After replacing a wheel, false tire pressure
warnings may display before you've driven 15 mph
(25 km/h) for longer than 10 minutes."

I had a similar problem with my Model S after I replaced two sensors in the rear. During relearn procedure at Tesla Service Center, they kept the old sensors in the trunk and the car apparently relearned to one of the old sensors. Three of four sensors came on during the drive, but the fourth never did. After removing the old sensors from the car and having them redo the relearn, all four sensors were recognized after driving. I didn't know this could be an issue until I contacted the manufacturer of our TPMS sensors (Continental) and they told me it's a common mistake at shops if they keep the old sensors close by the vehicle during a relearn or reset..

Also, it appears the cars can only store two different sets of TPMS sensors. If you've changed the same sensor more than twice, the car may not be able to recognize the third set. You'll have to go to the Service Center to have them do a relearn. It takes bout 45 minutes.

Last edited: