Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tpms Gen 1 or Gen2??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model S 2016 facelift 5/2016. Is there a way of telling which gen tpms sensor do I have ? I bought some 21” turbine rims that came with staggered and square setup (6 rims). Seller told me the staggered setup is Gen 1, so make sure I know which type my car can read. Anyway to find this out??

Thanks

Do you have tire pressure readout as a selection on the dashboard screen? If you do it is gen 2. I have a pre-facelift January 2016 model S that has the readout.
Yes, this is the most effective way to determine it. I have a 2012 Model S, but had the TPMS 2 sensors installed (along with the new TPMS receiver). They then enabled the car status screen so I can see the TPMS readings.

Reactions: Bored7one4
I am trying to determine this for my car as well. I have a June 2015 P85D, currently with 21" turbines. I don't seem to have any TPMS readout unless I'm not looking in the right place. I've read several posts here that after vin 50900 the sensors were all version 2. My vin is well beyond that, but then why don't I have the readout? I'm looking at buying new TPMS sensors as I'm getting new 19" wheels from Tsportline, so will I be ok getting the v2s? I'm also looking for black ones to match the new wheels.

I am trying to determine this for my car as well. I have a June 2015 P85D, currently with 21" turbines. I don't seem to have any TPMS readout unless I'm not looking in the right place. I've read several posts here that after vin 50900 the sensors were all version 2. My vin is well beyond that, but then why don't I have the readout? I'm looking at buying new TPMS sensors as I'm getting new 19" wheels from Tsportline, so will I be ok getting the v2s? I'm also looking for black ones to match the new wheels.
The TPMS Readout is the Car Status, which is displayed in the left center display. You need to hold down the left scroll wheel and then select that.

If you have V1 of the TPMS and want to switch to V2, you also need to upgrade the TPMS receiver module. Tesla will do that for you. Then they will enable the Car Status display. You can't just upgrade the TPMS sensors alone.

Last edited:
The TPMS system doesn't report a problem until the pressure drops 25%. This time of the year when the temperatures are all over the place you should be checking your tire pressures. In a two day span my temperature dropped from 95 to 39. Tire pressure drops 1 psi for each 10 degree drop in temperature.

As others I think have clarified.....

If you can see actual tire pressures for each tire in the center screen, then you have the latest edition of Tire Pressure Sensor Monitors.

Earlier cars will only notify you when a tire is low, but won't tell you how low.

Also, staggered wheels have no impact on which sensors you need. Same sensor regardless of staggers or square set up all around.

I just put on custom wheels and ordered these sensors for a 2019, which are the same ones I purchased for my 2015 Model S. Worked great in both cases and are relatively cheap....They show the tire pressures for all four tires individually.

Hope it helps...

NOTE: the following link is for ONE sensor, so if you're doing a full set of wheels, be sure to change the quantity to "4".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VCVZRS3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.