Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS in MS: Does it actually provide a real time reading?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. As I expected. Not a big deal, but disappointing. Hope it can be upgraded via software only. Would think it could. But probably low on priority list. Will need to get my old trusty pressure reader then haha as I hear they are delivered extremely high for transport reasons.

Sorry, this was probably answered before, but it's hard to find it. Does the TPMS in the MS actually give you realtime pressure readings on the screen somewhere? Or does it only warn you if its too high/low?

I'm not sure if the system they use is capable of that or not. When the service bulletin came out to change the pressure alert from 39 to 36 psi, the TPMS tool programmed the TPMS module directly. This may speak to the TPMS module providing only alerts to the central control system, instead of readings. Perhaps there is a pressure query exchange that could be done over the CAN bus, but it may need more development beyond just Tesla (firmware for the TPMS system, perhaps).

I've had my S for 5-1/2 months and the TPMS system has given me more trouble than anything else. It's prone to throwing anomalous system errors (not pressure warnings) so that a couple of days ago when it gave both a TPMS system error followed a couple of hours later by a pressure warning, I ignored it and was rewarded with a flat tire overnight from a nail I picked up somewhere. It's the old story of the boy who cried wolf.

My last two cars, dating back to 1998, had individual pressure readouts on all four corners, so I got out of the habit of carrying a pressure gauge; it's odd to drive a futuristic spaceship like the S and have this one system give off 20th Century vibes.

My hope this is one of the many things they will get to with software considering you could monitor each individual tire pressure while on the road. Unless there is a technical reason why they can't, hopefully it will come with one of the software updates. That and the ability to remember 2 sets of rims for summer/winter wheels.

I've had my S for 5-1/2 months and the TPMS system has given me more trouble than anything else.
I could say the same thing of my Roadster
My last two cars, dating back to 1998, had individual pressure readouts on all four corners, so I got out of the habit of carrying a pressure gauge; it's odd to drive a futuristic spaceship like the S and have this one system give off 20th Century vibes.
Tru dat! I got to this post because I'm now having some issues on my MS.
This thread on TMC was very helpful.

Just FYI, didn't know if it was mentioned yet - both tire pressure and tire temperature are transmitted from TPMS and kept track of by the car - when I had tires changed and they used tool to program, they pulled up service screen on car and you could see each tire pressure and temperature. They said computer uses pres & temp to decide when to turn on pres low light

I've had my S for 5-1/2 months and the TPMS system has given me more trouble than anything else.

I had similar problems. Have service take a look - there is a service bulletin to move the TPMS recievier a few inches forward if you get TPMS system errors. That fixed if for me.

There is only one TPMS receiver for all four tires, and it's located near the AC motor, so it can be slightly out of range of the TPMS front sensors. By the slight relocation, it reliably picks up the front sensors. My guess is some receivers are slightly better than others, and don't need the fix (or in our in our cases, slightly worse and need the fix)!

I've had the TPMS warning go off twice. The last time, it went off after making a quick acceleration to pass a car on the highway - and it stayed on for a few minutes and then went away.

Both times I checked, and the tire pressures were pretty close to the recommended 45PSI for the 19" tires.

My last car displayed the pressures for the individual tires. When I bought my last set of new tires - the next day, I took it out for a road trip - and half way, the warning light went on while I was driving on the highway. I switched to the display of the individual tire pressures - and watched the pressure on one of the tires continue to drop - so pulled over at the next intersection - and found out that one of the brand new tires was damaged (bad luck - something punctured it through the sidewall).

If I didn't have the individual tire pressure display - I would probably have assumed that one of the sensors had been damaged when they had installed the new tires the day before - and might have driven a little longer to see if the problem went away - which would probably have resulted in a blowout or driving on a completely flat tire.

Hope they provide the individual tire pressure display soon or at least pop up an informational window on the display indicated more specifically what's going on - more information than just the warning...

I've had my S for 5-1/2 months and the TPMS system has given me more trouble than anything else. It's prone to throwing anomalous system errors (not pressure warnings) so that a couple of days ago when it gave both a TPMS system error followed a couple of hours later by a pressure warning, I ignored it and was rewarded with a flat tire overnight from a nail I picked up somewhere. It's the old story of the boy who cried wolf.

After about two months, I've had so many tire pressure false alarms that I, too, ignore them. The system apparently has negative value; the car would be better without that "feature". Digital pressures for each tire would be wonderful.