Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS issues on M3P, Tesla saying they need to be paired to car and you cannot rotate or change wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla generally doesn't want customers visiting the service centers unless absolutely necessary so I highly doubt Tesla wants customers coming into the service centers to get sensors programmed.
Not sure I understand this one? The TPMS sensors don't need (re)programming. If you read the whole thread and look at Tesla's own statements you'll see that in fact the evidence is overwhelming that Tesla designed the system so that programming of the type we used to have to do with these TPMS with code readers and all that nonsense has been rendered obsolete. This means strong suspicion that in addition to the dealer being ignorant, that the OP's tire pressure sensor module in the car is not working properly.

Last edited:
Tesla generally doesn't want customers visiting the service centers unless absolutely necessary so I highly doubt Tesla wants customers coming into the service centers to get sensors programmed.
Correction: Tesla generally did not want customers visiting in the past. With >$10k gross margin per car. That is gone now that Musk is going for volume/market share. So, sooner or later, business fundamentals may force Tesla to milk the captive customer base a bit. Making TPMS reprogramming not automatic would be an easy change only a few existing customers would notice/get annoyed with. I'm not saying that is what is happening here, I agree that a broken module that refuses to relearn is the most likely. But it's not out of the realm of possible.

Correction: Tesla generally did not want customers visiting in the past. With >$10k gross margin per car. That is gone now that Musk is going for volume/market share. So, sooner or later, business fundamentals may force Tesla to milk the captive customer base a bit. Making TPMS reprogramming not automatic would be an easy change only a few existing customers would notice/get annoyed with. I'm not saying that is what is happening here, I agree that a broken module that refuses to relearn is the most likely. But it's not out of the realm of possible.
OP dude had the same issue with TPMS last year - I would have Tesla Service check out the TPMS Control Module.

Reactions: dfwatt
I can't imagine that Tesla didn't make accommodation for rotation of four known TPMS sensors. Its clear(at least in my case) that they have a receiver for each specific wheel position.
Yes indeed...I was quoting what Tesla told me. That the only place that can rotate wheels or change wheels/sensors is Tesla and they change $60 every time, this is coming from a master technician now, its very very odd.

It seems we agree. The part I was responding to was that OP was concerned the car wouldn't deal with rotating tires. If we assume for a moment that Tesla has changed software to disable changing TPMS sensors without a SC visit then getting new sensors that are programmed to mimic the old sensors would solve OP's problem even in the face of the changed software.

I gotta admit, I've been holding off on updating Stacy's Mom's software(currently 2022.36.20). Maybe Tesla really did change things regarding TPMS.

It had the same issues on V10, I had hopes it would fix as I went into V11 but na.

That's a bunch of BS. I have 3 sets of wheels for my M3P ( OEM, winter and track) and they all have sensors. Zero issues when switching wheels. Car relearns after driving a short distance.
Me too. I have a set of winter and summer wheels with separate TPMS sensors. All I the did was put sensors in new wheels, mount said wheels, the car goes "new wheels detected".

Reactions: Ritz
Very interesting thread but it seems no consensus as to the real problem? I have a 2022 MY LR and have the updated software (2023.12.9) that allows you to update when you do a tire rotation. Does entering that date have any effect on updating the position of the wheels or do they self relearn their new positions? I just had my tires rotated at 6200 mi. and they seem to be reading wrong. I did the tire configuration entry and have driven it several days. And now questioning my sanity, wondering if I did it wrong, so did it again and even did the quick system reboot. Still is showing tire is in wrong position. I noticed that the wheel & tire configurations screen is a bit vague in describing what the tire rotation field actually does. “… to optimize your drive”. ??

Last edited:
Very interesting thread but it seems no consensus as to the real problem? I have a 2022 MY LR and have the updated software (2023.12.9) that allows you to update when you do a tire rotation. Does entering that date have any effect on updating the position of the wheels or do they self relearn their new positions? I just had my tires rotated at 6200 mi. and they seem to be reading wrong. I did the tire configuration entry and have driven it several days. And now questioning my sanity, wondering if I did it wrong, so did it again and even did the quick system reboot. Still is showing tire is in wrong position. I noticed that the wheel & tire configurations screen is a bit vague in describing what the tire rotation field actually does. “… to optimize your drive”. ??
I just ran across this on the Tesla site, don’t know if this is current.

I just noticed that the Tesla software must have changed, I don’t see anything as described in those instructions under CONTROLS or anything about RESET SENSORS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sophias_dad