Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS - Low Pressure - Why Not Tell Us Which Tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The TPMS warning came on when I was stuck in traffic and then when I was able to get somewhere to park and look at my tires, I could not see that any of them were actually "flat" so I decided to go to the Service Center and have my first tire rotation. I figured that the guys at the SC would rotate my tires, add some air and I would be good to go. So I apparently ran over a small nail somewhere around 7,700 miles. This caused a slow leak. It was far enough from the sidewall that it could be patched, but the SC doesn't patch tires. Took care of that later in the afternoon at a regular tire store, no problem.

My bigger issue is (after my V6.1 Software has installed), I realized that the TPMS was telling me that my tire pressure was low and that I need to "check tire pressure" but it did not tell me which tire was low. WHY THE HELL NOT! If the system can detect that a tire is low, why not tell me which one it is. I don't carry a tire gauge in my car, so how the hell am I supposed to pull over and check my pressure. I have the emergency tire repair kit, but who wants to use that.

This seems like a simple fix, anyone know how to get this question to Tesla and/or why it can't be included in the next software "upgrade?" Just saying.:wink:

Also, since the Model S doesn't come with a spare tire, it's a very good idea to have a small air compressor and a bottle of Fix-a-Flat in the vehicle. ;)

I agree though, it would be nice to know the pressure in the tires at any given time. It came in real handy on our '13 Highlander recently.

You probably don't want to store an aerosol bottle of fix-a-flat (or whatever) in your car. The Fix-a-flat user manual specifically warns against storing the aerosol can at temperatures above 120F. Google "fix a flat exploded in my car" to read some stories.

A safer solution is something like the Tesla Tire repair kit, which does not store the gooey stuff under pressure. Slime sells a similar kit.

TPMS Reading

So ,we have had our Model S since November of 2014. I know the car comes with a TPMS sytem, but is it true that it doesn't display the individual tire pressure readings for each tire ? If it does, can anyone help me figure out how to look it up ? I mean every car out there now has TPMS system were it tells you the pressure for all four tires individually. Thanks !! Troy

That somebody was me.
In the case of a problem it does pinpoint the tire in question.
But that is a far cry from the BMW i3 and many other cars that can show you with a button touch the precise pressure of all 4 tires at any time.