Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS not working on new tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SlimJim

Jul 25, 2019
USA
I had a flat.
Tesla shop recommended replacing the tire.
The car has been driven for more than 30 miles and the new tire pressure is not showing up.
I have tried resetting it to factory setting and tried relearn. But it didnt work.
Did dealer forget to put TPMS in the new tire?

did you use a 'fix a flat' spray?
fortunately, you went to Tesla and overpaid for a tire... it should now pay off, as they'll likely take care of the issue
I didn't use any fix a flat.
As soon as the low pressure sign came on, I called roadside assistance and they replaced the wheel and took the flat to the dealer.
The screw was right in the middle of the tread. Two days later, I was busy so my wife drove my Tesla to the dealer to get the wheel put back on and that's when Tesla told her that they will have to replace the tire because they could not guarantee that plugging the hole will work for sure. I have never faced that kind of issue but I am guessing the hole was too large to fix.
Next time when I get a flat, I will get it repaired elsewhere. It was a lesson learned.

Anyway... The TMPS woke up finally and it is functional!!!
Thanks for the ideas guys!

Reactions: gaswalla
Sounds like Tesla wanted to sell a new tire.

Having the hole located in the center of the tread is the absolute ideal spot for a repair. And while a tire plug is considered a permanent repair when done by an owner, patching (or plug with patch) is the standard for tire repair. Not just a plug by itself.

I’ve plug repaired a lot of tires in my time, some with holes big enough to pull a dead cat through, and all successfully. You have to get up to a really big hole with daylight peering through to get big enough that you can’t successfully use a combination of plug and patch to repair. Think of rips and tears (but those compromise tire integrity), but holes? Yeah, they gotta get BIG to not be fixable.

I would expect a tire store to try and convince you to buy a new tire but am a bit surprised that Tesla would do so. Not sure why that surprises me, but it does.

Reactions: Togg and SlimJim
Following this thread as I just swapped 4 wheels with another Tesla model 3 owner and our cars haven’t recognized/reset the TPMS yet. Tried Relearn TPMS and said it failed to relearn.

Swapped my 18” Aeros for his 19” OEM sport wheels. Discount tire just swapped them.

Our cars just show dashes next to each tire for PSI... wonder if it just takes some time to learn.

Following this thread as I just swapped 4 wheels with another Tesla model 3 owner and our cars haven’t recognized/reset the TPMS yet. Tried Relearn TPMS and said it failed to relearn.

Swapped my 18” Aeros for his 19” OEM sport wheels. Discount tire just swapped them.

Our cars just show dashes next to each tire for PSI... wonder if it just takes some time to learn.
Try reset to factory and do relearn once everyday.
Mine eventually came up.

Sounds like Tesla wanted to sell a new tire.

Having the hole located in the center of the tread is the absolute ideal spot for a repair. And while a tire plug is considered a permanent repair when done by an owner, patching (or plug with patch) is the standard for tire repair. Not just a plug by itself.

I’ve plug repaired a lot of tires in my time, some with holes big enough to pull a dead cat through, and all successfully. You have to get up to a really big hole with daylight peering through to get big enough that you can’t successfully use a combination of plug and patch to repair. Think of rips and tears (but those compromise tire integrity), but holes? Yeah, they gotta get BIG to not be fixable.

I would expect a tire store to try and convince you to buy a new tire but am a bit surprised that Tesla would do so. Not sure why that surprises me, but it does.
LOL, but I'm trying to figure out if dead cats are bigger or smaller than live ones?

Same problem. Just put some aftermarket 20"s on the car with a new set of Tesla TPMS sensors (coming from the stock 20"s). Car has been drive about an hour and still hasn't recognized the new sensors. Forcing it to try didn't do anything.

Going to wait till traffic dies down and go for a drive this evening.

Same problem. Just put some aftermarket 20"s on the car with a new set of Tesla TPMS sensors (coming from the stock 20"s). Car has been drive about an hour and still hasn't recognized the new sensors. Forcing it to try didn't do anything.

Going to wait till traffic dies down and go for a drive this evening.

Update, my new wheels finally registered. Just appeared on the screen as success. Took like 30 miles I’d say.

Hey new here, I got some information as I am trying to learn about my new 2022 Model 3.
I purchased a new tire, not with Tesla, but yes with PepBoys, was a brand new Goodyear tire which wasn’t to happy about because I wanted all my tires to be the same, but got a huge metal sheet thru my other one, decided to pay 210 instead of 380 that Tesla was charging me.

So, once I got the new tire, we were hesitant because no one wanted to touch our car, everyone told me to go to Tesla, PepBoys was the only one that had the Jack Pads and the tire to put on the car.

Once we got the tire started driving away, noticed that the TPMS was not reading, went in to this forum, I did all kinds of stuff. Tell you all this, the 2022 Model 3 does not have the TPMS Learning anywhere. What I decided to do looking on YouTube and here try to, factory reset the system, also reset the screen by pressing the 2 rolling buttons and holding them until the screen reset, and nothing. Still would have - - psi. I also drove it for about 70 miles over 15 mph, nothing.

I took it back to Pepboys because they do have a TPMS sensor scanner, but the guy said, he believes it still works, because it’s very rare for them to fail.

The problem and the fix, he re measured the air, it was over 42, it was at 50-60 psi, he took air out to about 42-43 and literally drove it 4 seconds in the parking lot and registered.
Sometimes it will say - -psi, because it has to much PSI, take some out, like 5 psi or until 35 or so, and add it back to 42 and drive it. It should pop right back up.

That was my fix, I guess we are all learning on how these cars work. I love our car, just learning.
Might work for you all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 1,301
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 102