Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS now double in price!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If my car is the old style, would the car show the pressure for each tire individually if I sourced the newer style off ebay?

I thought the receiver setup changed along with the sensors.

I was just about to order a set. I saw a set of 4 on Ebay for $164 US but just the TPMS (Set of 4 TPMS Tire Pressure Sensors 2012-2017 Tesla Model S X | eBay) ... not sure if this set includes the sensor nuts?

Surprised about the 2012-2017 year range. I thought I read they changed.

Any experts know for sure?

Just went to Oakville to pick up my TPMS and centre cap order and to my and the service guy's surprise, Tesla just doubled the price of the TPMS. :(

TPMS = $136 CAD + HST each
TPMS sensor nut = $5.71 CAD + HST each
Center cap = $7.14 CAD + HST each

Yes, I recently bought a new set of center caps and noticed the price raised from $5 to over $7 since I last bought a set. But that's all you really need from Tesla and you don't need to buy OEM on ebay. There are universal sets -- just check your VIN since Tesla changed them a couple years back. Then you just use the settings in the car to program them as you drive -- it provides instructions on screen. Teslas can read up to 8 sensors so you don't have to reprogram when you switch your summer/winter rims.

Yes, I recently bought a new set of center caps and noticed the price raised from $5 to over $7 since I last bought a set. But that's all you really need from Tesla and you don't need to buy OEM on ebay. There are universal sets -- just check your VIN since Tesla changed them a couple years back. Then you just use the settings in the car to program them as you drive -- it provides instructions on screen. Teslas can read up to 8 sensors so you don't have to reprogram when you switch your summer/winter rims.
That's not what I've experienced with our vehicle. Most of the time that I do a switch over between our winter and summer wheels I forget to reset the TPMS. Well, at least until the vehicle nags me, and then it's a simple task of driving 40km/hr (or something like that) for 5 minutes or so. It's very straightforward.

Note that this is on a 2013 Model S with the earlier version of the TPMS that does not display tire pressures on the dash.

I just brought my winter rims which were from my older 85 and had the TPMS changed as the new system doesn’t read the sensors from 2014. Tesla SC did the job in less than 1 hour and they charged me $70 per wheel plus $120 for labor for a total of $400 installed. Worth it IMHO.

My 2012 P85 had its TPMS system and sensors switched out under warranty a couple of years ago, because it was flaking out. All the sensors on both sets of rims had to be swapped because the old ones were not compatible. As a result my old winter rims and sensors work just fine with the new 2017 100D. (They are looking kinda rough though... the rims appear to be corroding.)

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric