Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS on older/newer wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This question is out of my ignorance of wheels in general so please forgive me if this is obvious.

My car is a 2013 MS with just stock 19" wheels. I see someone on facebook selling some low-use, great-condition, 19" slipstreams for a really great price (at least I think it's a great price - $750 for the set).

I believe I've read that there are different sensors for cars of different years (mainly before 2014). Would I be able to simply get these wheels installed on my car and have everything work? Or would there be some kind of incompatibility with the sensors? Or can I just use the sensors that are already in my tires... (again I'm not sure how this works).

Thanks for any help!

The difference is the sensors, yes you could use your sensors.
Many of us have paid Tesla to update the TPMS system to the new style system, pricing is not too bad and you get pressures displayed on the dash. If your car displays pressures it has already been updated to the new style hardware.

The difference is the sensors, yes you could use your sensors.
Many of us have paid Tesla to update the TPMS system to the new style system, pricing is not too bad and you get pressures displayed on the dash. If your car displays pressures it has already been updated to the new style hardware.

Ohhh fascinating - okay mine does display pressures on the dash but I just assumed that because of my car's age it had older sensors. Great to know, thank you!