Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS pop-up took a while

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
This year when I changed over tires to summer set, I drove around for a day, regular commute (with long stretches up to 110 km/h) .. and was expecting to see the pop-up advising me TPMS needs service (a reset) ... but it never came up. After putting 60+ km round trip on the car, just parked it. Thinking... wow, maybe Tesla added a memory feature for learning 2 sets of wheels and recognized I had put back on the summer set. Nice!

Nope. Next day, my wife drives about 20km and gets the pop-up! Never having dealt with it before she calls me... in a bit of a panic wondering if it's OK to drive the car. She knew I changed wheels and wondered if air pressure was the problem. I tell her everything's fine and what's going on with the TPMS having to re-learn and how to do the reset. So I hang up and she goes and tries that... I get a second call 1 minute later, "do we have 19 or 21 inch tires?". So I know she's in the right area of the console. "19 inch, thanks for asking!" ... and that's that.

Later in the day she tells me after doing the reset, found it odd that she needed to drive at a speed of 40 km/h for a stretch of 10km, and to do it needed to drive down the shoulder of the road. I asked if something was wrong? She said no, but the reset prompt said to drive at 40km/h for 10km. She admitted to reading it quickly before hitting the button, and was then dismissed from the screen.

I clarified for her that what it probably said or meant was to drive "at least" 40 km/h for "up to" 10 km to train the TPMS again.

"OOoohhhh!!!" :oops:

She thought it was an odd thing for the car to ask her to do, but wanted to be safe rather than sorry. Even after the calibration popup went away, she continued to drive that slow for the full 10 km.

So if you passed her on the road... or some other Tesla doing this speed on the highway... and were wondering... they're probably resetting their TPMS too and just following instructions.

Last edited: