Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS pressure leak and squeaky wheel - service appt or tire shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after two months of loving the car I got a Tire Pressure warning last week (36 psi) and another one this morning -- suspect I have a nail in the tire. I've also noticed the "low speed/squeaky steering wheel" phenomenon, which is slightly annoying but not really a huge issue.

Question is, do I take it to a Tire shop for a quick, fairly cheap repair, or do I schedule a Tesla service appointment to do the tire and check of the steering wheel? Your input is appreciated!

So after two months of loving the car I got a Tire Pressure warning last week (36 psi) and another one this morning -- suspect I have a nail in the tire. I've also noticed the "low speed/squeaky steering wheel" phenomenon, which is slightly annoying but not really a huge issue.

Question is, do I take it to a Tire shop for a quick, fairly cheap repair, or do I schedule a Tesla service appointment to do the tire and check of the steering wheel? Your input is appreciated!

Top your tires up to 42 psi. If the pressure drops again to 36psi or less within a day, then have someone take a look at the impacted tire.

Otherwise, it's just dropping because of the lower temps at night. Just like all other cars on the road.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Stomsf
Top your tires up to 42 psi. If the pressure drops again to 36psi or less within a day, then have someone take a look at the impacted tire.

Otherwise, it's just dropping because of the lower temps at night. Just like all other cars on the road.

Thanks @SD_Engnr . I saw the threads about the lower temperatures and pressure expansion, but it's only one tire that is showing the lowered pressure. But good advice, I'll keep an eye on it as it only drops to 36 psi and is driveable.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Wait the squeaking noise I hear from my steering wheel when I go in and out of the garage is a known thing?

From what I've been able to find it's a low speed issue(so yes going in and out of the garage would qualify) and it's either something in the steering column or part of the housing that connects the steering wheel to the car. It's mildly annoying but not worth a service call by itself to me, but I'll have them address it if I go in for a more important issue.

So the slow leak continued over the weekend (filled up Thursday and pressure back down to 36 on Monday) so I took the car to America's Tire (same day appointment) and they found a small screw in the tire. Removed, fixed, and on my way in 45 minutes, no charge!

Squeaky wheel is still mildly annoying but not worth a service call at this point.

Reactions: SD_Engnr