Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was not my intention to imply that the indirect systems do not work, just that they really don't measure actual pressure...
I understand! :smile: My point was simply that if Tesla isn't going to give you an actual (and accurate) pressure reading, the more advanced TPMS hardware is being installed with little purpose. I'd like to see actual pressures (heck, even the Grand Cherokees had psi readouts a dozen years ago) because they're useful to me. So is knowing a tire is getting low, but why would I want to buy another $200 worth of sensors for my winter wheels if I'm getting no better feedback on tire conditions than I'd get with the simple indirect system... that leverages hardware already on the car? If they're going to add pressure readouts in a future software release, I can get on board with that. Otherwise, it seems like they're adding complexity and points of failure for no good reason.

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that certain higher end Geman cars work this way aside, I always assumed this method (the ABS hack) was a poor man's version used on lower end cars and that the sensors were generally seen on higher end cars.
I did too actually... and was quite surprised at how sensitive the Mercedes system really is. My preference would still be to see actual pressures though.

However, if you're simply trying to catch the mouse, a Victor spring trap is going to do the trick. I don't need it to include a digital light beam trigger and electronic weight detector if it's just going to be used to spring the metal bar of death and provide nothing else of any use to me. :cool: