Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what year is your car? that is a bit strange because as far as i know, the 2 sensor systems are completely different.

I thought the same thing from (TPMS Sensors on newer VIN are different) but according to the SC manager somehow the sensors I already have will be able to be programed to work with the new tpms sys, I will of course update once all is said and done and working. My S85 is a Feb. 2014 build.

Last edited:
I had my TPMS gen1 sensors fail on my 2013 P85, the SC replaced them with another set of Gen1, but those also failed a week later.

The Fremont SC performed the upgrade to the Gen 2 "Continental" system and receiver and updated the software. I now how the tire pressure, door open/closed, and front seat belt warnings that show on the speedo display. Covered under warranty, so I'm not sure the cost but assume around $600

So I just got my car back from the Denver SC. They had replaced the one tpms sensor that was bad but about 10miles into the drive home I got the warning tmps was not working and to call tesla for service, so I called in route home by about the 15mile mark and turned aournd and went back. They did the cheking and detemined that all the sensers were working and showed good battery and signal so the issue was with the control unit/reciever piece in the trunk/hatch where ever it is and that needs to be replaced afterall, as I had originally requested a week ago (annoyed) also the SC manger there let me know that the person there who previously told me it could not be done was wrong and it could be done no issue, however they are on backorder all the time as they make a batch then sell out right away. So time wize it could be 6-18weeks before the part is able to be gotten. The SC manager also let me know the part had been removed from the pricebook for retrofits so he was unable to provide pricing info and gave me a guess of $1,200 <ouch> I was expecting 600-800 but he will find out for me the actual cost and let me know, hopefully in that 600-800 range. I also found out from him that the tpms sensors I have will work with the new reciever+wireing harness with no issue, just a firmware update so none of them need to be replaced.

Interesting. When I had 2 failed sensors replaced, they had to replace all 4 sensors + receiver to the newer TPMS system.
See Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

I recently had my car, 2013 MS85 with old TPMS system, in for a TPMS problem in which they replaced a couple sensors and thought the problem was fixed. On the way home, the same error message came on again. Over the next three days it came on again and again, usually about 30 minutes after starting to drive. I made another appointment to have the car in for service and requested that the TPMS system be upgraded, at my cost, to the system that shows the PSI of each tire. The quote I got was $1100. I was a bit shocked, but decided to go for it anyway. I got the car back the same day I took it in, and they had covered it under warranty. Needless to say I was happy... quite happy.