Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Can someone help me? I'm looking at putting new rear wheels on and moving the stock rears up front. What kind of TPMS sensors are used? Are they the type that are banded to the wheel barrel itself, or are they the kind that is a part of the valve stem? Would it be more cost effective to buy new ones (are they even available?), or have the original ones removed and installed in the new wheels. Lastly, if I have the rear wheels up front now, would those signals still show up on the display as the rears?

Thanks,

Henry

They are on the valve stem. They can probably be moved to the new wheels.

Each valve stem sensor has a different address. And the antenna picks up the transmitted signals and decides which wheel it is based on the address. There are a few ways to reprogram the antennas if the stems are replaced.

So yes, if you just move the wheels to the front leaving the transmitters where they are, your rear wheels will show on the front.

Last edited:
They are on the valve stem. They can probably be moved to the new wheels.

Each valve stem sensor has a different address. And the antenna picks up the transmitted signals and decides which wheel it is based on the address. There are a few ways to reprogram the antennas if the stems are replaced.

So yes, if you just move the wheels to the front leaving the transmitters where they are, your rear wheels will show on the front.
Scotty, are your answers specific to the 2.x TPMS (that has been so troublesome for you)? @hanknum has a 1.5 (#187).

The 1.5 does have (different) sensors on the valve stem, but I don't know about the other aspects.

Three days no sleep, I remember now. 2.0 TPMS crap, 1.5 no tire learning. Why couldn’t they combine the 2.
And no I don’t mean give the 1.5’s TMPS that doesn’t like to remember itself and 2.0’s the inability to run different tire sizes.
Just in case.

Will using different size wheels work with the 1.5 tpms? I assumed not.

On the 1.5 one has a bigger challenge in that it does not support tire learning so if the diameter is out of range traction control will be throwing errors. The TPMS should be fine however.
The fronts I calculated to be exactly the same OD as the OEM setup. The rears are 0.2" smaller dia...not really worth worrying about.

There are a few different sensors mentioned in various threads here that work with the 1.5 cars, but those that you found I have not seen before.
Thanks Steve. Do you have any links to the other sensors?

Thanks Steve. Do you have any links to the other sensors?
Let me "teach a man to fish": if you click on the TMC search icon (magnifying glass) and then the "More..." button at the bottom of the popup panel you'll get the advanced search page. For Keywords enter tpms, for Posted by Member enter slcasner, and for Search in Forums select Roadster. Then the third entry (or maybe fourth since this one will now be in the list) will take you to the post with the links you want.

Just a recap...I'm installing 2 new rear wheels and moving my OEM existing rears to the front.

Option 1:
Get all new aftermarket TPMS's

Option 2:
Keep the TPMS's that are already on the OEM rears and remove the ones that are on the OEM fronts and put them on the new rears, but then my display will show the front pressures on the rear and vice versa. UNLESS, is there a way reset each sensor to where it reports on the display?

Option 3:
Same as option 2, but just get aftermarket TPMS's for the rears. Run into the same as above...rears reading in the front and having to program aftermarket ones.

Option 4:
Remove all the OEM TPMS's and install in all the original locations.

I guess I have 2 main question...

Aftermarket sensors...
Has anyone tried aftermarket TPMS's? Were you able to get them programmed to the car's computer to read correctly? How hard is it to get it programmed? Is this a dealer only thing, or can the tire shop (or myself) do this?

OEM sensors...
Can the sensors be reprogrammed to report their pressures to a different location on the display?

Option 3 would be my first choice, then 2, 1, & 4 in that order.

Any and all help/assistance would be appreciated.

Hi Hanknum,

I have studied the TPMS for Roadster extensively...
I may be able to give you an answer or direction but I would need to confirm
the year and serial number of your car. I saw 187 above. It that correct?

Shawn
Hi Shawn,

Yes, that would be correct. I'm headed to the tire shop tomorrow, so if you wouldn't mind giving me a ring at your earliest convenience, I'd appreciate that.

Thanks,

Henry
805-813-0508

Hi Henry,
I have to give a fast answer... with more to follow later.
Have the tire shop read your sensors in the normal order:
Left front, right front, right rear, and left rear. Record these numbers and letters.
Leading zeros must be recorded, the address is 8 characters long for each tire.
Letters that I have seen are all upper case.
You cannot rotate tires fronts (on mine 2010) are 16" and rear are 17".
The tires have a direction of rotation designed into them.
If you cross the centerline of the car they will be rotating backwards unless they are removed and remounted.
Have the tire shop check the battery status and record the battery status of each tire sensor.
That will give you an idea of the remaining life.
I am late for an appointment. I will try to give the whole picture later.
But if you record the addresses, position, and battery status of the sensors it will be a productive visit
and the basis for formulating your path forward...

Shawn

Hi Henry,

I keep a spreadsheet of mine...

Capture.PNG

Click to see details...

Shawn

Last edited: