Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS , RE-LEARN

car 2017 MX

i need to get a tire fixed/replaced and will be driving for a day or two with a spare without a TPMS (ebay acquisition) ...and then re-install the original rim with the original TPMS.

as always, before posting, i read many posts on the topic...read the manual too and that is vague**...

my questions:

a. when driving with NO TPMS, i am assuming the car will give some warning like "TPMS MALFUNCTION" but will keep running. any experience?
b. when the original RIM/TPMS are re-installed, will the car "RE-LEARN" (after driving for 10+ min) and clear the warning or a visit to service SC is required....a couple posts suggest that older (?) cars do not re-learn, the newer do. so what happens for 2017? **btw, the manual says ---

If a non-Tesla Service Center repairs or replaces a tire, the tire sensor may not work until Tesla performs the setup procedure.

----assuming (and high probability) the shop will NOT damage the sensor, why is setup required?

thanks

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC