Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset on V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the quote. I’ll stick to old school. Haven’t needed PSI indications for 6 years anyway lol. I got the Autel ones and the MaxiTPMS pad to program them. It’s $50 Amazon and just need a laptop. Very easy and can reprogram them as I understand so you can reuse them for either the BaoLong or Continental or just about any other car.

That's my solution as well.

I did receive the MaxiTPMS device, read the serial numbers from my summer tires and will program the Autel sensors once they arrive with those serial numbers and install on my winter tires.

FYI, I have been programming replacement TPMS sensors for people here on the forum for a while, see the following thread:

For Sale: Programming Service for Autel TPMS Sensors - $25

In light of this new issue with v10 software, I can help you guys with the Gen 1 system. I can clone your old sensors to a set of Autels using one of the following methods for getting the existing ID numbers:

1. You can go to a tire shop and have them read the sensors for you with a programmer tool (no need to take the tire/wheel off, the programmer tool can read the IDs with the sensors mounted in the wheel and on the car). The ID numbers are 8-character hexadecimal (numbers 0-9 and letters A-F).

2. If you have the old sensors in-hand (not installed in the vehicle) and they are the OEM Baolong sensors, these have the ID number printed on the sensor body.

3. If you have the old sensors in-hand (not installed in the vehicle), and they are a different brand sensors or otherwise do not have the ID number printed on them, but they are working sensors (not dead battery), you can send the sensors to me and I will read them to get the ID numbers. Alternatively, you can have a tire shop read them for you.

Once I have the ID numbers, I will program a set of Autels for the Gen 1 system using your ID numbers. Installing these in a 2nd set of wheels and then swapping to them will not require the TPMS system to go through a relearn procedure.

...You can go to a tire shop and have them read the sensors for you with a programmer tool...
From my own experience at a Discount Tire location, they had to set their hand held scanner to look for a 2013 Tesla Model S to pickup the Baolong sensor. Their scanner when set to look for a 2014 Model S was looking for the Continental sensor by default.

• Informative
Reactions: PaulusdB
I just got the TPMS reset confirmation on my gen 1 sensors. I used the software wheel config to change from 21" to 19". I drove about 50 miles like that, with nothing happening. So finally I decided to switch the config back to 21".

I was just outside of the parking garage at work when my car rebooted, and then as soon as I could start driving I pulled into the garage. My screens went blank again, as the rebooting continued, but I could still drive, so I continued into the garage where I always lose the internet connection.

When I left work later, I noticed that I wasn't getting the fault message, and very soon after I left the garage I received the TPMS confirmation message.

I include all this detail in case there is some correlation between changing the wheel config while also losing the internet signal. Perhaps this forces the TPMS relearn mode.

These were 4 new gen 1 sensors (at least they were listed on eBay as being specifically for my 2013 S, and discount tire confirmed their compatibility with their scanner). The IDs were all new, and neither discount tire or I did any cloning or other programming of the transmitters or receivers. The discount tire documentation said to access the TPMS reset button, and they had already disposed of my old sensors when I realized the button was no longer available.

So this confirms that the V10 software does have the ability to relearn new gen 1 sensor IDs without the use of any external tool.

20200106_190834.jpg 20200106_190846.jpg 20200106_190857.jpg 20200106_190825.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: zwede
I just got the TPMS reset confirmation on my gen 1 sensors. I used the software wheel config to change from 21" to 19". I drove about 50 miles like that, with nothing happening. So finally I decided to switch the config back to 21".

I was just outside of the parking garage at work when my car rebooted, and then as soon as I could start driving I pulled into the garage. My screens went blank again, as the rebooting continued, but I could still drive, so I continued into the garage where I always lose the internet connection.

When I left work later, I noticed that I wasn't getting the fault message, and very soon after I left the garage I received the TPMS confirmation message.

I include all this detail in case there is some correlation between changing the wheel config while also losing the internet signal. Perhaps this forces the TPMS relearn mode.

These were 4 new gen 1 sensors (at least they were listed on eBay as being specifically for my 2013 S, and discount tire confirmed their compatibility with their scanner). The IDs were all new, and neither discount tire or I did any cloning or other programming of the transmitters or receivers. The discount tire documentation said to access the TPMS reset button, and they had already disposed of my old sensors when I realized the button was no longer available.

So this confirms that the V10 software does have the ability to relearn new gen 1 sensor IDs without the use of any external tool.

View attachment 497300 View attachment 497301 View attachment 497302 View attachment 497303
Tesla may have finally added TPMS reset functionality to the wheel change in a recent release.

It definitely did not do it (which was confirmed by my discussions with service - see above) in the initial v10 update.

Continuing my personal saga...

I believed that my troubles were over after replacing my sensors (see posts #167 & #184 above) and set off on a 1600 mile drive to spend the Christmas holiday with the kids. On the second day and 600th mile of the trip, the TPMS warning messages started back up and continued through the rest of the drive and the holidays.

I put in a service request for a remote TPMS reset, citing the information provided by @thefortunes (thanks) and received a service appointment at the Toledo Service Center for January 8. When Toledo service texted me to confirm that I'd done a winter tire replacement, I once again replied that I was really only interested in the remote fix. I didn't get a response back on that score, but did receive an estimate for the "repair" on the Tesla app (details below). I didn't do anything else with the car except stare at the warnings (e.g., didn't perform a wheel type change, etc). Update: I forgot that I did receive an update to 2019.40.2.3 on the trip -- but I still saw TPMS error messages after the update was installed.

We started the return trip on New Years Day... and didn't see the TPMS error message for the entire trip (or since). I never saw another "TPMS sensor reset complete" popup, so I don't think that they performed the remote reset. I cancelled the Service Center appointment (that was never going to happen, in any case), and am just going to wait and see what happens... If the weather cooperates, I may try testing the sensor system by reducing the pressure of one of the tires and drive around for a bit to see whether I get a low pressure alert.

The estimate that I received has the note "Found sensors to not be responding in logs. TPMS system on vehicle no longer supported. Provided quote to customer for retrofit to current TPMS system." I boggled a bit about the "no longer supported" comment, but I'm not a "let's make it a federal case" type. In any event, the estimate for the retrofit was $771.93 -- $300 of that was for 4 new sensors, another $131 was for the replacement receiver & miscellaneous parts, and $288.75 labor.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DFibRL8R
Continuing my personal saga...

I believed that my troubles were over after replacing my sensors (see posts #167 & #184 above) and set off on a 1600 mile drive to spend the Christmas holiday with the kids. On the second day and 600th mile of the trip, the TPMS warning messages started back up and continued through the rest of the drive and the holidays.

I put in a service request for a remote TPMS reset, citing the information provided by @thefortunes (thanks) and received a service appointment at the Toledo Service Center for January 8. When Toledo service texted me to confirm that I'd done a winter tire replacement, I once again replied that I was really only interested in the remote fix. I didn't get a response back on that score, but did receive an estimate for the "repair" on the Tesla app (details below). I didn't do anything else with the car except stare at the warnings (e.g., didn't perform a wheel type change, etc). Update: I forgot that I did receive an update to 2019.40.2.3 on the trip -- but I still saw TPMS error messages after the update was installed.

We started the return trip on New Years Day... and didn't see the TPMS error message for the entire trip (or since). I never saw another "TPMS sensor reset complete" popup, so I don't think that they performed the remote reset. I cancelled the Service Center appointment (that was never going to happen, in any case), and am just going to wait and see what happens... If the weather cooperates, I may try testing the sensor system by reducing the pressure of one of the tires and drive around for a bit to see whether I get a low pressure alert.

The estimate that I received has the note "Found sensors to not be responding in logs. TPMS system on vehicle no longer supported. Provided quote to customer for retrofit to current TPMS system." I boggled a bit about the "no longer supported" comment, but I'm not a "let's make it a federal case" type. In any event, the estimate for the retrofit was $771.93 -- $300 of that was for 4 new sensors, another $131 was for the replacement receiver & miscellaneous parts, and $288.75 labor.

That's my solution as well.

I did receive the MaxiTPMS device, read the serial numbers from my summer tires and will program the Autel sensors once they arrive with those serial numbers and install on my winter tires.

UPDATE:
After 3 months of looking at the "TPMS System failed" message , my winter tires now have the newly cloned Autel 433MHz sensors (s/n copied from my summer tires), ... error message on my 2012 Model S gone.

4 - Autel TPMS senors $149.00 (eBay)
Autel MaxiTPMS PAD $64.00 ( Amazon ) - for sale .....PM me if interested

Reactions: mambro
So I tried the configuration button once again, this time selecting 21" cyclones when I actually switched those out back in October and put on the 19" wheels for the winter which is when this issue began with the TPMS fault.

I still have the error on the instrument cluster. It was searching for a signal as a small box popped up a handful of times asking if I wanted to retry the reset. I selected yes naturally and the error message remained.

The next day I was driving and it asked me yet again, try reset again or cancel? I selected reset once again and hopped on the highway for my commute. Traveling at 60 mph I noticed the error had finally disappeared. I thought I was in the clear and for maybe 5 miles it was a cleared instrument cluster. Until it popped back up with the error message once again.

I'm thinking probably these Gen1 baolong sensors are weak in power and cannot sustain a signal to dispel the TPMS error from returning and ultimately remaining constant.

So I tried the configuration button once again, this time selecting 21" cyclones when I actually switched those out back in October and put on the 19" wheels for the winter which is when this issue began with the TPMS fault.

I still have the error on the instrument cluster. It was searching for a signal as a small box popped up a handful of times asking if I wanted to retry the reset. I selected yes naturally and the error message remained.

The next day I was driving and it asked me yet again, try reset again or cancel? I selected reset once again and hopped on the highway for my commute. Traveling at 60 mph I noticed the error had finally disappeared. I thought I was in the clear and for maybe 5 miles it was a cleared instrument cluster. Until it popped back up with the error message once again.

I'm thinking probably these Gen1 baolong sensors are weak in power and cannot sustain a signal to dispel the TPMS error from returning and ultimately remaining constant.

I think you are correct !. My original Baolong sensors were about 6 years old. The MaxiTPMS pad did read them after a short period but compared to the new Autel sensors, the reading was immediate and at a greater scan distance.

I have the gen 1 baolong sensors. I downsized and moved my original sensors from 21's to 19's. The car saw the sensors after the swap. It wasn't until i changed the wheels in the wheel configurator that it got weird. The car kept telling me that I did not reset the sensors. I hesitated since the car saw the old sensors, but I wanted the graphic and car(SAS) to know of the new wheels, so I pushed reset sensors.

After that the car kept saying sensors unable to measure pressure. the pop up to reset kept coming up, i kept pressing reset. it was annoying.

I finally switched back to 21's, then back to 19's in the wheel configurator in my driveway and it said reset completed. This was in my driveway. I didn't drive the car. The reset happened while I was unloading the car(old wheels) and got back in and it said reset complete.

Hope this helps.

Yes I can confirm that everything is back to normal: I managed to finally reset the sensors and delete the error message. Just in time: I have official vehicle verification in 9 days… I was getting desperate. Even Homelink options is back.

By the way I can also confirm that Autel Mx-Sensor work fine as a replacement for the original Baolong TPMS as stated by SomeJoe7777 by cloning the ID of the original sensors.

Replying to:

...Those of us with GEN 1....
...Inexplicably, the RESET TPMS button in the Service screen was removed by Tesla in a recent Software update....
...As others have suggested, I suspect that Tesla eliminated the RESET button either because they "forgot" about GEN 1 cars OR decided it was tim for GEN 1 owners to start spend...
...I think it would be helpful going forward for posts on this thread to start with the type of sensor, either Gen 1 or Gen 2, or the model and year.

**UPDATE**

Note, this is my first TMS post so be nice! Lol

2014 Model S “classic” with Gen 1 Baolong
(2 low voltage, 2 dead)

I just recently updated my software to:

v10.2 (2020.4.1) - (the version with the new Voice Commands features)...

under the Service Menu they seem to have added back the RESET TPMS SENSORS button !!!!! Finally !

Tomorrow I am installing four (4) new replacement Gen 1 Baolong sensors that I got from EBAY for $100 total with some brand new tires. These replacement sensors have new 8 digit numbers but start with the same as my old ones:

080xxxxx

After tires and sensors are installed tomorrow I’m going to push the RESET button that has been re-added back to the Service screen and drive around - hopefully the Gen1 system will read the new sensors. Not expecting to see individual pressures.

if this works, no return visit to the service center to program the receiver/antenna and no need to pay $1000 to upgrade to the new Gen2 Continental system. I will update this thread afterwards to let you know how it works out. Crossing my fingers

For those of you who are still having this problem...

...They are also "planning to fix this" in a future software release.

**UPDATE**

Note, this is my first TMS post so be nice! Lol

2014 Model S “classic” with Gen 1 Baolong
(2 low voltage, 2 dead)

I just recently updated my software to:

v10.2 (2020.4.1) - (the version with the new Voice Commands features)...

under the Service Menu they seem to have added back the RESET TPMS SENSORS button !!!!! Finally !

Tomorrow I am installing four (4) new replacement Gen 1 Baolong sensors that I got from EBAY for $100 total with some brand new tires. These replacement sensors have new 8 digit numbers but start with the same as my old ones:

080xxxxx

After tires and sensors are installed tomorrow I’m going to push the RESET button that has been re-added back to the Service screen and drive around - hopefully the Gen1 system will read the new sensors. Not expecting to see individual pressures.

if this works, no return visit to the service center to program the receiver/antenna and no need to pay $1000 to upgrade to the new Gen2 Continental system. I will update this thread afterwards to let you know how it works out. Crossing my fingers

*** 2nd UPDATE ***

Everything worked perfectly. The RESET button added back last week worked just like it should and relearned the new Sensor codes within 10 miles of driving after replacing them along with new tires.

$75 for four (4) replacement OE Baolong sensors. eBay. Seller still has 5 sets available as of this post.

$785 incl Tax & installation in South Bend for four (4) new OE Goodyear Eagle Touring from Tire Rack (With Rebate)

Tesla Service Center wanted $2000 for Tires and an unnecessary TPMS upgrade. Insanity. I thought I recall Elon saying that the Service centers weren’t supposed to be profit centers - not sure they are following through with that plan. If you have an older Model S with Gen1 TPMS, don’t let them talk you into upgrading your TPMS from Baolong to Continental unless you really want/need individual tire pressures. I’m perfectly fine with a single low pressure warning light and a tire gauge to check them all out when necessary.

I’m still out the bogus $87 Tesla service center diagnostic fee where they told me I had one bad sensor and 3 low battery - sadly they didn’t even provide me the sensor code on the dead sensor from their proprietary ODB tool, so to clone that dead sensor would require unmounting the tire and manually reading the code printed on it and THEN cloning a single MX replacement. My advice is don’t bother with the Tesla Service Center diagnostics hassle, costs and weak guidance. They will tell you that you “should” upgrade to Continental system because Baolong is no longer available/supported.

Just for fun, I ended up buying an Autel TS408 maxiTPMS scanner that reads any TPMS sensor and could (if needed) also reprogram any MX dual frequency (315/433) replacement sensors to clone your original numbers or you can just program in your own personalized 8 digit codes.

Bottom Line: The Gen 1 system CAN relearn new codes with the RESET button so cloning old codes isn’t really necessary. The typical MX replacements seem to be going for around $100 a set (4) on Amazon if you prefer to go that route vs buying OE sensors like I did from an eBay seller.

Hope this helps - I learned a lot - appreciate all the other helpful TMC posts - case closed.

Reactions: elee888