Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset on V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was at the service center, they had a handheld unit that shows the sensor information, including battery voltage, serial numbers, etc. After walking around the car and collecting all the serial numbers, that same unit was able to send the serial numbers to the car's TPMS module.

The reset button was definitely NOT needed with v2 sensors, but with v1, they're mandatory. I got a response from Tesla again:
I completely understand where you're coming from. I myself do a lot of my own car's maintenance at home, so I can put that into perspective. I greatly appreciate all the information you provided for me to look at. What I will do now is submit a request for that feature to be added back, and forward it to the appropriate team so they can start looking at that feature so many other driver's found useful. Our team reviews every customer request seriously, but there is not guarantee or timeline for feature requests. With that being said, you may have to see a shop once you swap your tires to rest the sensor until.

Thank you for being part of the Tesla community.

Best,

Alexus B. | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support
At this point, I think it's best if anyone who is affected, contact Tesla and reference this message. It may help with prioritizing it. At the very least, I hope we can take this as "it's officially noted". In the meantime, it looks like I'll be making visits to Kal tire every time I do a wheel swap :eek:

Has anyone had any luck actually getting this fixed at a service center? It sounds like several people have tried, but I'm not reading that anyone has successfully fixed this problem. I don't want to waste a bunch of time w/ the service center if it can't be fixed, especially since my car is in extended service agreement status.

Shame on Tesla for not thinking this through a bit more before the V10 release. It really is a safety issue for those of us with "older" cars and sensors. I also received an email response from Tesla saying they would forward my comment to the proper department. I wonder if we should consider trying to make this more public, maybe an article on Teslarati.com? Would that garner attention from someone at Tesla?

Reactions: Morristhecat
I had this same problem after V10. I took it in for service, and they replaced the sensors and module. Luckily, it was covered under my extended warranty, minus my $200 deductible. Now I have the newer version sensors. Not happy this happened, but they first quoted me around $1,100, stating it wouldn't be covered by my warranty, that it was normal wear and tear. And I did say it started after V10.

For people with warranty it isn't a problem,but for most people warranty has run out. I have just looked in the vehicle database here in Holland, and there are 2000 Tesla model S with a date of first registration of before 10-2014 still on the road. Most of these owners should have the same problem. I think it is very strange that we don't see more complaints. Maybe not everyone is changing to wintertyres yet..

I had this same problem after V10. I took it in for service, and they replaced the sensors and module. Luckily, it was covered under my extended warranty, minus my $200 deductible. Now I have the newer version sensors. Not happy this happened, but they first quoted me around $1,100, stating it wouldn't be covered by my warranty, that it was normal wear and tear. And I did say it started after V10.

This is BS. It shouldn't even have a deductible taken from it, as it is all Tesla's fault. We bought a car with a TPMS reset button that works with our tires. We bought winter tires that works with the car. Afterwards, Tesla changed the frequency of the TPMS's and the sensor antenna. Old frequency TPMS's still worked for 6 years with the reset button. Then they disable our button in V10 since only new frequency TPMS's are in their field of view, forgetting about us original supporters. They should be on the hook for fixing this mess. It may involve lifetime ranger resets if that even works, didn't work for me. It may involve changing the antennas in our car and sensors in our summer/winter tires (I've actually got 3 sets to change - all seasons with original rims, winters with aftermarket rims, and arachnid summers that I won), or simply reprogramming the reset button back in the software. Very frustrating!

TPMS is a regulatory requirement in many locations for a 2013 vehicle if I understand correctly, and Tesla cannot simply take it away Willy Nilly. And, as a result they are taking away traction control!

Last edited:
This is BS. It shouldn't even have a deductible taken from it, as it is all Tesla's fault. We bought a car with a TPMS reset button that works with our tires. We bought winter tires that works with the car. Afterwards, Tesla changed the frequency of the TPMS's and the sensor antenna. Old frequency TPMS's still worked for 6 years with the reset button. Then they disable our button in V10 since only new frequency TPMS's are in their field of view, forgetting about us original supporters. They should be on the hook for fixing this mess. It may involve lifetime ranger resets if that even works, didn't work for me. It may involve changing the antennas in our car and sensors in our summer/winter tires (I've actually got 3 sets to change - all seasons with original rims, winters with aftermarket rims, and arachnid summers that I won), or simply reprogramming the reset button back in the software. Very frustrating!

TPMS is a regulatory requirement in many locations for a 2013 vehicle if I understand correctly, and Tesla cannot simply take it away Willy Nilly. And, as a result they are taking away traction control!
I agree it's BS. But, for me, as I'm planning on selling it soon, I want the car in top shape. And, yes, Tesla should fix this for everyone free of charge, period. I did not change out tires recently, either. It was just the V10, in my mind, that started this. Very clear to me.

I haven't tried it, but I can't see why it should work. You won't go back to an older software version, so no improvement.
We should all keep sending questions and complaints to service centers. Maybe the button will come back in a new software version if they get enough complaints.

Just for the record it is not a problem with the newer TPMS system. I put my snow/ice tires on a couple of days ago. After about 6 miles of driving the message popped up on the screen and when I accepted it the tire pressures appeared one at a time. That is the way it worked even when there was a button.

• Informative
Reactions: jlv1
...got the Autel TS501 programming device today and could read the IDs of summer tires Baolong sensors. But there's no way to copy the IDs to the winter tire sensors...
Here is a link that shows how the clone process is done with the TS501... but for cloning to new Autel sensors. If I understand correctly, while the TS501 can read other brand TPMS sensors it can't program other brand sensors.

Found Least Expensive Compatible TPMS Sensors - $25.50/ea

I have the same problem. This is a royal screw-up by Tesla and I’ll refuse to pay anything for a fix, even though I’m still under extended warranty. They seem to have forgotten that older Model S’s still exist. This is especially weird since my Model 3 on V10 software still has a TPMS reset button.

Just discovered the same problem when I put on the Winter Tires yesterday. Hope they work on a software fix for this basic functionality safety issue ASAP.