Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset on V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same problem here, 2014 Model S with Gen1 Baolong TPMS. Switched to winter tires last weekend with original TPMS sensors, got the "TPMS error" message.
And my Model S need german TÜV next month and I will get no TÜV license with this error in Germany :(

Are there any solutions with TPMS programming devices?

Peter

• Informative
Reactions: PaulusdB
Same problem here, 2014 Model S with Gen1 Baolong TPMS. Switched to winter tires last weekend with original TPMS sensors, got the "TPMS error" message.
And my Model S need german TÜV next month and I will get no TÜV license with this error in Germany :(

Are there any solutions with TPMS programming devices?

Peter
Our local Ranger is trying to get a TPMS programming tool. This video seems to explain it all. Looks like "Copy by Activation" (2:03 minutes) could be used to read a working sensor to reprogram the old ones for compatibility with TESLA version 10... in theory

Last edited:
In the same boat, changed full set of tires yesterday, have 45 PSI in all tires , driven >20 miles but low pressure warning just wouldn't go away. It shows 37 PSI . Frustrating to see the the 2 red icon on the dashboard and no way to reset.

Technology is a wonderful thing only if it works, Tesla was overconfident in their abilities when they took away the TPMS reset option.

Tesla wrote me back with a generic message to reboot my car. I wrote back saying
Unfortunately that has nothing to do with my concern. I'm referring to this ability that is no longer available:
Resetting the TPMS Sensor

They replied just now saying
You no longer need to do it yourself. The TPMS sensors are reset automatically after driving over 15 mph, for longer than 10 minutes. I will submit a feature request for the option to reset yourself. We appreciate your feedback and will forward it to the appropriate team for consideration in future updates. We cannot promise that this feature will be available, but our team reviews every customer request seriously.

Thank you for being part of the Tesla community.

Best,

Alexus B. | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

It's shocking how they seem to no longer understand the limitations of the Baolong sensors and think they're the same as the Continental. I'm writing them back and pointing to this thread.

Hi,

got the Autel TS501 programming device today and could read the IDs of summer tires Baolong sensors. Bute there's no way to copy the IDs to the winter tire sensors.
The Autel TS501 has a OBD cable, but the "OBD learning function" ist not available for Model S. Or does anyone know how to activate the car TPMS with OBD connection?

Peter

Having had a long problem with TPMS I can tell you that on my car with V10, changing the wheel type from 21 to 19 and then driving a short distance and the "TPMS RESET" message will pop up. Switch back to the original wheels and repeat the process. Clunky but necessary if the car doesn't recognize the sensors. I had significant issues with a second set of wheels/tires (purchased from a reward receiver) and ultimately used Autel dual-frequency sensors programmed to "clone" the original wheels/tires (same serial numbers). Works perfectly now when switching from one set to the other.
This did not work for me. I didn't get the "TPMS RESET" message pop up. Instead, after I tried to switch back I lost Traction Control, Stability Control, and Regenerative Braking. So now I have good winter tires but nothing else. I expect a fix for this soon but it's very frustrating.

This did not work for me. I didn't get the "TPMS RESET" message pop up. Instead, after I tried to switch back I lost Traction Control, Stability Control, and Regenerative Braking. So now I have good winter tires but nothing else. I expect a fix for this soon but it's very frustrating.

Traction control, stability control and regen should come back in a few miles especially after car is turned off and back on. At least that is what it did for me. It was a surprise when car did a full reset and all these features became unavailable upon switching to winter wheels. I changed the wheel design on service screen in response to message that popped up. Now I know for the next time.

Reactions: skrenes
Hi,

got the Autel TS501 programming device today and could read the IDs of summer tires Baolong sensors. Bute there's no way to copy the IDs to the winter tire sensors.
The Autel TS501 has a OBD cable, but the "OBD learning function" ist not available for Model S. Or does anyone know how to activate the car TPMS with OBD connection?

Peter
The Autel TS508 video I posted earlier at 2:23 showed a “copy by activation mode” function between TPMS Sensors without the ODB connection. Does the TS501 not have this feature ?
Perhaps Autel has a software update ? Could also try a Mercedes setting and then copy. TESLA seems to use a lot of Mercedes parts.

Last edited:
I fought the TPMS system for two months for a variety of reasons (another post explains). Ultimately I used Autel dual-frequency sensors in the wheels and an Autel programmer. Using the programmer, I cloned the original sensors (wheel by wheel) to the new sensors (it's a serial number clone) and set for the proper Tesla version (there are two) and it works perfectly switching back and forth between original and new wheels.

Reactions: PaulusdB
I've been having the TPMS detection error since they took away the reset button and allowed us to select the wheels. My car has settled into a predictable pattern. As I get close to work, the error comes up and stays on until I park. On the next drive, the error clears and I don't see it until the next day as I get close to work again. The error never pops up during the weekend. I've got a set of Slipstreams with new tires on it that I'll swap to if it ever rains here, so I'm curious what will happen. Those also have the Baolong sensors.

Traction control, stability control and regen should come back in a few miles especially after car is turned off and back on. At least that is what it did for me. It was a surprise when car did a full reset and all these features became unavailable upon switching to winter wheels. I changed the wheel design on service screen in response to message that popped up. Now I know for the next time.
Yes, it was also a surprise for me, and I'm glad to have those features back after letting the car sit overnight!

Vancouver service looked at my car today. Apparently they have been getting lots of calls about this issue lately, especially on the older cars. They are having to go out manually program the cars and it's taking up their time. They want a solution too, but don't know if the mothership will be sending out a softare fix or not. There was some speculation that having the TPMS reset button was causing more problems for newer cars than older cars but it wasn't clear what they meant by that, other than it may mean there may not be a software fix. I don't see what the big deal is to turn the button on if your vin is less than a certain number or so....

Vancouver service looked at my car today. Apparently they have been getting lots of calls about this issue lately, especially on the older cars. They are having to go out manually program the cars and it's taking up their time. They want a solution too, but don't know if the mothership will be sending out a softare fix or not. There was some speculation that having the TPMS reset button was causing more problems for newer cars than older cars but it wasn't clear what they meant by that, other than it may mean there may not be a software fix. I don't see what the big deal is to turn the button on if your vin is less than a certain number or so....
It would be interesting to know what they actually did. The local ranger in Edmonton was unable to correct my TPMS issue.