Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset on V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A full factory reset of Model S din't resolve the issue - still TPMS warning message.
Will drive a longer distance this afternoon, maybe it will work after the drive?

On a 15 mile drive this morning I got TPMS readings for all but the left rear tire. But the error message did not got away. This gets stranger by the minute.

I also have a 2013 model S that I can no longer reset the TPMS sensors after the update. Tesla wants $1,000 to fix an issue that wasn't an issue before there update.

$1,000 for a problem Tesla created. Refuse to pay it.

Here's what the Denver Virtual Service Team told me today about our 2013 Model S. I live 4.5 hours from the Denver Service Center, so they have been working with me remotely:

"Currently all four sensors are not reporting any measurements. If you have swapped the wheels the sensors will need to be programmed via Tesla TPMS tool before they start reporting anything.

We can also retrofit to the Continental TPMS so when swapping wheel/tire sets the vehicle will automatically pick up the sensors (plug and play). For the retrofit to work, two continental set would need to be purchased (one for your summers and one for the winters) since the retrofit only includes one set of Continental sensors.

Regarding the Traction Control Disabled, Stability control disabled and Regenerative braking disabled messages also present alongside the TPMS system fault, the vehicle will need to come into the service center for diagnosis and repairs of all faults present."

Please let us know if you would like to purchase the Continental retrofit.

Thank you "

• Informative
Reactions: DFibRL8R
Regarding the Traction Control Disabled, Stability control disabled and Regenerative braking disabled messages also present alongside the TPMS system fault, the vehicle will need to come into the service center for diagnosis and repairs of all faults present."

I've had this twice - in two different cars (June 2014 P85; September 2016 P100D). As others have reported, these error messages always appear when one tries to reset the Wheel Configuration. On both occasions, trying to reset the 17" screen didn't help. Customer Services were able to push a full system update to the cars, which fixed the problem (well, not the TPMS error, but the Traction-, Stability Control- and Regenerating Braking Disabled errors).

My advice is to try a few reboots of the 17" screen, in case that clears up the error on your car; if that fails, telephone Tesla Support and get them to push a full software update to your car. That should then clear up these errors without your need to visit a service centre (unless you are determined to purchase new sensors from them).

And don't buy new sensors! You just need your button back that they have stolen from you. We will have to keep complaining, hopefully the button will return in a future update if there are enough complaints. Probably they aren't even aware of the problem yet. Here in Holland most people haven't changed to winter tyres yet, I don't know how it is in the rest of the world. But I'm sure they will get a lot of questions from the `2000 model s with old style sensors that are still on the road here in holland.

My advice is to try a few reboots of the 17" screen, in case that clears up the error on your car; if that fails, telephone Tesla Support and get them to push a full software update to your car. That should then clear up these errors without your need to visit a service centre (unless you are determined to purchase new sensors from them).

Not for me. Rebooted the screen 3 times last night and downloaded a full software update. The reboots did nothing and the software download made the problem worse. Before the download I got tire pressure on 3 out of 4 tires. After the download 4 out of 4 were blank.

I swapped wheels over the weekend and have the TPMS fault alert on all the time since. Tesla service at first wanted $97.50 to reset it, since that's their minimum service fee for the service center or a mobile tech. After I complained that it was their fault, they dropped it down to $53, moved up the date to this morning, and sent a mobile tech. $53 for what took the tech 15 seconds to reset is a rip off when it used to be DIY and free. At least he checked all of the sensor readings and drove with me in the car to make sure the alert stayed off.

When these Baolong sensors run out of batteries or when this set of new tires wear out, I'll probably pay for the Continental retrofit.

These are the BAOLONG sensors that came with my winter tire-rim package from TireRack in 2014.
Tesla Model S TPMS sensor | Bao Long 433MHz | TPMSDirect
KAL Tire could only read them with their TPMS tool set to my 2012 model year and said they could not be reprogrammed to work with later model year settings on his tool. So unless TESLA fixes the TPMS software, I assume I'll need to replace the sensors. Schrader may be the way to go.
I've asked TireRack for their help and just waiting for a response.

Tried new sensors from Cub, programmed with Cub SensorAid Programmer - it works :)
Copied the IDs from summer to winter tires with Cub sensors, Autel MX Sensors didn't work.
Do you happen to know which "program" was written to sensors? I had a local tire shop install CUB sensors and do the ID cloning but sensor signals are not picked up by the car. We have tried two different sensor programs, have generated new IDs and copied old ones to new sensors but it doesn't seem to help. Tire pressures were dropped to zero before programming the sensors.

Thanks for all the contributors to this thread. My MS85 was delivered in 2013. I have also experienced the TPMS System Fault error message after getting the v10 upgrade. I will drop by my local service center and see what they say. Thanks to this forum, I will be informed enough to push back if they quote me an expensive fix. I will report back and let you all know what they say.

Same TPMS fault on a 2015 90D! Swapped wheels to the original ones 19" for winter and the car gives TPMS error only on the front left wheel. I then swapped front/rear but still showing the front left as the problem! Been to SC twice and they are convinced its down to user error in some way and would need to pay $300 to have it changed. Nevertheless they can't even book me in for service due to ownership transfer still pending (which is obviously in Tesla's control to begin with).

Fantastic when I have a mandatory inspection (MOT) coming up and it will fail meaning the car is not allowed to be on the road. I am at a loss for words when it comes to my SC. I guess I have to swap back to 21" and see if they still work :-(