Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset on V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's great and thank you for the additional update.

Would you mind direct messaging me the ebay seller which may have additional Baolong sensors for sale so I can pick up a set before they're all gone or simply listing the ebay seller here?

I had the same exact thought myself such as how old are some of these sensors out there being sold on the secondary market and what level of strength of the batteries can they possibly contain?

I hope @Bsarv will continue to update us on his/her experience and findings as it relates to these TPMS sensors.

Hey Folks..

My car: 2013 Model S 85
Issue: Front Passenger TPMS battery died which caused F'ing TPMS alert
Purchase: Amazon Link

Pre-Software update (V10.1)
1) I purchased the ITM sensors which seller claimed that they're pre-coded to Gen1 MS (Plug-and-play)
2) I installed mine at the America's tire for $15 each wheel. I made a mistake of NOT keeping my old TPMS sensors because I was afraid that they may had inadvertently sent the mix signal after installed while driving home. So, I trashed my old sensors.
3) I drove for 600 miles and the warning did NOT go away.
4) I contacted the seller and he said he will code the senors to factory Balongs and requested to meet in person. This is when I found this thread and realized that I needed to transfer the code from old to new sensors.
5) Since my old sensors were long gone, I dropped by Tesla service center for their help. They did not want to touch my car due to aftermarket TPMS. At first, they tried to up-sell me to new continental system with cost of ~$1,100. I refused to pay because I believe I was not getting good value in return for the price.
6) Tesla then proceeded that I needed to make an appointment and they quoted me at minimum $110 per hour. I told them I just needed Tesla to reset my TPMS and there used to be a "TPMS reset" button and Tesla unreasonably took it away. So they said they will push the software update to my car. I didn't believe it will help at that time but that was the best I could do.
7) Two days later, I met with the Amazon seller and he re-coded my TPMS to Balongs with a promise that it will work. I knew 90% chances that it won't work knowing the system inability to relearn but I gave it a shot.
Post Software update (V10.2)
8) Luckily, on my way to meeting with Amazon Seller, I was notified with an software update. I quickly downloaded the software but did not install it.
9) Long and behold, I drove for 15 miles (30 mins) after Amazon seller re-coded my TPMS and alert did NOT disappear. so I stopped by at the gym, installed the software, polished my guns, then came back... BAM! I see the TPMS reset option from service menu.
10) I reset the TPMS and drove for 20 miles (40 mins) with no luck.. I was seriously pissed and about to PUNCH cute stuffed animals. I changed my wheel size from 19 to 21.. then changed it back to original. I went to bed while throwing a few curse words at my BFF, Elon.
11) The next day, first entry of the day, the center screen started with a message, "your highness, TPMS are clear FINALLY" see attached.

Attachments

• TPMS reset.jpg
    TPMS reset.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Like many of you, I am thrilled that this reset functionality is back in our lives, although I have come across another oddity.

I recently swapped wheels (without recording the old Gen 1 sensor ids). I bought new, programmed Autel TPMS sensors from a forum member, and brought them to my local shop to be installed. The shop installed them, and (allegedly) programmed them (again).

After numerous attempts (before 10.2), I was able to get the Successful Reset message by changing the wheel configuration option. The TPMS error message disappeared, and all was right with the world.

Fast forward to my daily commute...After ~30 minutes at highway speed, the TPMS error message comes back. I park the car at work, get back in at the end of the day, error message is gone. Drive ~30 miinutes at highway speed on the way home, message comes back on.

This happens every day I am driving at highway speed for ~30 minutes, and then clears itself for the next drive...If I am just driving around town, the message never comes back on.

So...Any thoughts on why this would trigger an error after ~30 minutes at constant speed?

So...Any thoughts on why this would trigger an error after ~30 minutes at constant speed?

Obviously, it shouldn't be doing that. I would say there's a few possibilities:

1. Sensors are not installed correctly. If the tire shop didn't properly fasten one of the sensors to the valve stem, it may have come off inside the tire. This may cause the symptoms you describe.

2. If they attempted to reprogram the sensors, they may not have done it correctly.

3. You may have a failing receiver in the car.

I'll be happy to help if you need it, please PM me.

It's fixed!!!!!!!! My software was updated yesterday and today I found that the TPMS reset button has returned. I clicked it and about 10min later I got notification that the reset was successful. Now the TPMS notification is gone. So happy to have this fixed. BTW - I have a 2014 Model S with gen 1 TPMS system.[/QUOTE

Would you mind direct messaging me the ebay seller which may have additional Baolong sensors for sale so I can pick up a set before they're all gone or simply listing the ebay seller here?

x

Sure, the eBay seller’s handle is 5595wendy but his name is Chet.

he told me upfront that these were new and they look new and start with the same digits as my old OE sensors. When I read the new sensors with a scanner you can’t see the voltage (that was the same as the old original sensors) and I think only the Tesla tool can do that however they respond immediately with temperature and pressure so the battery seems very strong at this point. He was asking $100 for a set and I offered $75 and he agreed. Pretty good option considering Tesla wants $75 each.

here’s the link...

[COLOR=var(--accent-color)]https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143477684750[/COLOR]

Let me know if any issues with the link

good luck !

Another success: I replaced my TPMS sensors with the ITN, and mine were the Bao Long system. They didn't work, I took them to be re-programmed- They didn't work.

Then i took them to Tesla last week and was prepared to spend $140 to get them working, but 1) they could not actually get my TPMS sensors to show up on their programming tools, and 2) they stated absolutely that there was no way to send to my car a re-programming request, and that the invoice notes which I took from this posting were wrong.

Then today I accepted the software update, and found the reset switch, used it and now everything works, no error, TPMS sensors are working.

I have a 2014 Model S 85. I started getting TPMS error message after v10 and came here to find answers after reset sensor button was removed. Since 10.2 has come out, I hit the TPMS reset and tried the wheel configuration change. Error message remains. I don't think I have driven 10 minutes straight at 25 mph plus. Should I try that or give up and buy the Autels? I've read this thread over and over but still not sure what to do now with 10.2. Everyone seems to have their issues corrected now. If I cant get it to work, should I just buy Autels and take them to a tire shop?

Cxx
I have a 2014 Model S 85. I started getting TPMS error message after v10 and came here to find answers after reset sensor button was removed. Since 10.2 has come out, I hit the TPMS reset and tried the wheel configuration change. Error message remains. I don't think I have driven 10 minutes straight at 25 mph plus. Should I try that or give up and buy the Autels? I've read this thread over and over but still not sure what to do now with 10.2. Everyone seems to have their issues corrected now. If I cant get it to work, should I just buy Autels and take them to a tire shop?

Sounds like a normal failure of one or more batteries in your sensors... first thing I’d suggest is getting a TPMS reader (or go to a tire store that has one) and get readings from all four of your wheels/tires... it’s a very easy process that just takes a minute or two to read the sensors just outside the tire/rim

if you get readings, make sure to get the sensor ID numbers and write those down... if you don’t get four pressure / temperature readings then you likely have what we are all experiencing which is failing sensors ... in that case, I’d suggest you just make sure your tires are at 45psi (or whatever you need) and keep driving and just wait until you need to replace your tires based on tread wear .. when you finally decide to replace your tires, just install replacement all new OEM sensors or install all new new clonable MC sensors. If you can get the all sensor numbers then you have the option to clone just the problem sensor(s) and replace them in kind by copying the original sensor ID to the new MX sensor. Alternatively, like I did, you can buy new OEM sensors and after the installation just press the RESET button and your Tesla should be able to re-learn the new sensor IDs.

hopefully I’m understanding your question and this reply helps a bit... best of luck. Avoid Tesla Service Center is my advice, they will just charge you more than you really need to pay.

Reactions: mambro
Cxx

Sounds like a normal failure of one or more batteries in your sensors... first thing I’d suggest is getting a TPMS reader (or go to a tire store that has one) and get readings from all four of your wheels/tires... it’s a very easy process that just takes a minute or two to read the sensors just outside the tire/rim

if you get readings, make sure to get the sensor ID numbers and write those down... if you don’t get four pressure / temperature readings then you likely have what we are all experiencing which is failing sensors ... in that case, I’d suggest you just make sure your tires are at 45psi (or whatever you need) and keep driving and just wait until you need to replace your tires based on tread wear .. when you finally decide to replace your tires, just install replacement all new OEM sensors or install all new new clonable MC sensors. If you can get the all sensor numbers then you have the option to clone just the problem sensor(s) and replace them in kind by copying the original sensor ID to the new MX sensor. Alternatively, like I did, you can buy new OEM sensors and after the installation just press the RESET button and your Tesla should be able to re-learn the new sensor IDs.

hopefully I’m understanding your question and this reply helps a bit... best of luck. Avoid Tesla Service Center is my advice, they will just charge you more than you really need to pay.

Thanks Bsarv. I bought the MaxiTPMS Pad and was able to read all 4 sensors for their ID #, temp, and pressure. Does this mean that the sensors are ok? For battery, each sensor came up as N/A, but presumably if the reader can read it, there is sufficient battery. Should I try buying the Autel universal/programmbale sensors and replacing or do you think it is the receiver if I am getting readings with the MaxiTPMS pad?

Thanks Bsarv. I bought the MaxiTPMS Pad and was able to read all 4 sensors for their ID #, temp, and pressure. Does this mean that the sensors are ok? For battery, each sensor came up as N/A, but presumably if the reader can read it, there is sufficient battery. Should I try buying the Autel universal/programmbale sensors and replacing or do you think it is the receiver if I am getting readings with the MaxiTPMS pad?

Not exactly sure what generation TPMS system ( Gen1 or Gen2) you have, what version of software you are currently on or exactly what your original symptoms were, but I’m assuming you are Gen1 on 10.2 and it was the “Tire pressure system needs service” message.

I assume you already tried going into the Service menu and clicked on the “RESET TPMS SENSORS” button, if not try that first and then get a good long drive in at higher speed after you press it and see if you get the “Reset Complete” message.

Yes, I found the same thing with the battery on the OEM sensors, it reads NA on the handheld scanner so you aren't able to tell the exact voltage - apparently the receiver needs around 3 volts to get a good reading so guessing that maybe one or more of your sensor batteries is low and therefore not being read by the receiver (or as you say I guess it could be a bad receiver) - just my guess. In that event, yes, you may want to clone your old sensor number(s) into fresh new MX sensor(s). However, if all four are reading ok with your handheld scanner then you won’t know exactly which one (or more) is the low battery potentially causing the issue but assuming they are all older OEM sensors, you’d be well suited to get four (4) new ones with all fresh batteries when you change your tires. If you can afford that then it may be worth the gamble to just replace them all at that time like I did. If you go that route you wouldn’t necessarily need to clone old sensor numbers - you could just use the RESET button to have the car re-learn the new sensors.

Now the question is, “Who should do the work?” Tesla Service or a reliable Tire shop ? It’s a bit of a gamble not going to the Service Center but in my case it was worth it as I knew it was one dead sensor and one dying (low battery) sensor. You could pay the $87 Tesla diagnostic fee and demand that they tell you each voltage for each sensor in advance of doing any other work- that info could potentially confirm your hypothesis that it’s bad sensors and not the receiver.

Unfortunately, I’ve heard that if you install aftermarket sensors first and THEN need to go to Tesla to run diagnostics or replace the receiver, that you run the risk of them saying they wont support the new sensors or them making you install their OEM Baolong sensors at $75 each plus labor and diagnostics and a reboot - not to mention their outrageous tire costs if you go that route. And they may tell you like the did to me (inaccurately) that I needed to upgrade to the Gen2 Continental system.

hoping this information helps - trust me I feel your pain, it’s a call you need to make based on all the available info you can get up front to make the right cost decision.

the good news is that with the Jan 29th return of the RESET button in v10.2, you at least have the option to try replacing just the sensors and re-learning them with the classic Gen 1 system. The bad news is that if it does not work, you may have to redo them at Tesla prices.

wishing you good luck on whatever you do.

Not exactly sure what generation TPMS system ( Gen1 or Gen2) you have, what version of software you are currently on or exactly what your original symptoms were, but I’m assuming you are Gen1 on 10.2 and it was the “Tire pressure system needs service” message.

I assume you already tried going into the Service menu and clicked on the “RESET TPMS SENSORS” button, if not try that first and then get a good long drive in at higher speed after you press it and see if you get the “Reset Complete” message.

Yes, I found the same thing with the battery on the OEM sensors, it reads NA on the handheld scanner so you aren't able to tell the exact voltage - apparently the receiver needs around 3 volts to get a good reading so guessing that maybe one or more of your sensor batteries is low and therefore not being read by the receiver (or as you say I guess it could be a bad receiver) - just my guess. In that event, yes, you may want to clone your old sensor number(s) into fresh new MX sensor(s). However, if all four are reading ok with your handheld scanner then you won’t know exactly which one (or more) is the low battery potentially causing the issue but assuming they are all older OEM sensors, you’d be well suited to get four (4) new ones with all fresh batteries when you change your tires. If you can afford that then it may be worth the gamble to just replace them all at that time like I did. If you go that route you wouldn’t necessarily need to clone old sensor numbers - you could just use the RESET button to have the car re-learn the new sensors.

Now the question is, “Who should do the work?” Tesla Service or a reliable Tire shop ? It’s a bit of a gamble not going to the Service Center but in my case it was worth it as I knew it was one dead sensor and one dying (low battery) sensor. You could pay the $87 Tesla diagnostic fee and demand that they tell you each voltage for each sensor in advance of doing any other work- that info could potentially confirm your hypothesis that it’s bad sensors and not the receiver.

Unfortunately, I’ve heard that if you install aftermarket sensors first and THEN need to go to Tesla to run diagnostics or replace the receiver, that you run the risk of them saying they wont support the new sensors or them making you install their OEM Baolong sensors at $75 each plus labor and diagnostics and a reboot - not to mention their outrageous tire costs if you go that route. And they may tell you like the did to me (inaccurately) that I needed to upgrade to the Gen2 Continental system.

hoping this information helps - trust me I feel your pain, it’s a call you need to make based on all the available info you can get up front to make the right cost decision.

the good news is that with the Jan 29th return of the RESET button in v10.2, you at least have the option to try replacing just the sensors and re-learning them with the classic Gen 1 system. The bad news is that if it does not work, you may have to redo them at Tesla prices.

wishing you good luck on whatever you do.

Thanks Bsarv. Yes, your assumptions were all correct. Gen 1. 10.2. Tesla quoted me $1100 to upgrade to Continental Gen 2. No thanks. Think I'm going to try the Autel programmable ones now.