Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset on V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a limitation to the number of sensors/codes car can store?
I ask, because I know my Outback can only store 5 sensors at a time without dealer intervention (super annoying when you do summer/winter swaps, which SURELY Subaru knew some portion of owners would do!)

I currently have 3 sets of wheels in rotation (original, winter and now referral prize Arachnids) and the original wheels' sensor batteries are dead as dead can be. The original and winter sensors were all working on the car, but I haven't yet had the car "learn" the Arachnid sensors because I'm not sure if doing that (12 total) would cause me problems when I replace the original wheel's sensors... Or if that would require me to clone them.

I asked the SC and they were sort of equal parts "we don't know" and suggested that the car doesn't remember prior settings at all (which would be perfect for my situation!)

From SC: "Our documentation does not answer any of these questions. From how we work with the system none are stored aside from the current set being used. Whenever we install new wheels with Balong sensors we relearn the ID’s every time to ensure operation. I believe the Conti system (Gen2) will support storing of more ID’s to allow for easier wheel swaps but we have no indication of how many it can store."

I just rotated tires last week. No pup-ups. Tire readings just appeared after a few minutes.

I also noticed that when starring a drive, the readings seem to come up faster than previously. Maybe something changed in a recent software update?

When I switch from summer to winter or winter to summer the car always pops up a screen saying that I have new tires after about 5 miles of driving. If it remembered the sensors there would be no need to do that.

I just rotated tires last week. No pup-ups. Tire readings just appeared after a few minutes.

I also noticed that when starring a drive, the readings seem to come up faster than previously. Maybe something changed in a recent software update?

Sounds like Gen2 sensors to me. If you see tire pressures, respectfully, you are not relevant to this thread in any way.

I have been driving on the (unlearned) Arachnids for about a week and the car is completely unaware of their presence.
While I COULD relearn the sensors, what I'm asking is if anyone knows weather the Baolong/Gen1 system gets amnesia when reset or whether it stores a finite number of sensor addresses.

what I'm asking is if anyone knows weather the Baolong/Gen1 system gets amnesia when reset or whether it stores a finite number of sensor addresses.

The way I understand it, it doesn't store anything except the 4 current sensors. You do a relearn and it stores the 4 sensors it sees. Put another set of wheels on it and you press reset/relearn and it stores those and forgets the previous ones. Put the original set of wheels back on and you do another reset/relearn.

Reactions: Newscutter
Perfect. THAT'S ideal for my scenario... so I can just buy "off the rack" TPMS and not bother with cloning as long as the system is "stupid" with regards to sensor memory AND they don't remove the TPMS button again. I've only ever had the two sets of TPMS prior to this, so I didn't know and, like I said, Subaru is locked in to 5 codes without dealer intervention so I was concerned I'd maxed out at 8. Thanks.

With the latest software update, I too got the reset button back - and it's about **** time!! I bought new TPMS sensors and had them installed back in January. Since then, I went to two different Tesla service centers to try to get them to reset the receiver and instead they kept insisting that the full retrofit was required, at a cost of over $1000. The technician even told me their machine could not read my replacement sensors (but my local tire shop could read them). I also called Tesla several times by phone and begged them to do a remote reset or to bring that reset button back, but they too had no clue. And all we needed this whole time was that little reset button! I'm glad to finally have it back and working again, but this shows that the lack of communication on Tesla's part - especially for something that ought to be so simple - is utterly ridiculous. There's simply no way to talk to them - it just falls on deaf ears - and the SC techs are often of no help.

(and yes, the reset worked well - my new sensors were recognized within 5 minutes :) )

AFAIK it only changes the pressure warnings. I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong.

The 21" have a lower profile tire and the overall diameter is just about the same so speedo is ok. But you can always double check with a GPS app on your phone to make sure it's still accurate.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
That won't affect anything else such as the speedometer?

AFAIK it only changes the pressure warnings. I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong.

The wheel size selection also affects the navigation energy use estimates. This is significant on a long trip.

Selecting 21" wheels when driving on 19"s will cause the nav system to overestimate your energy usage on the trip. This isn't a safety issue, but may cause more charging than you actually need to complete each leg of the trip which can waste time.

Selecting 19" wheels when driving on 21"s will cause the nav system to underestimate your energy usage on the trip, which can be a safety issue, as you may not end up charging enough to reach the next charging stop, or you may have to drive exceptionally slowly to reach the next charging stop, wasting even more time.