TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

TPMS reset problem

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by idoco, Nov 19, 2013.

1. idoco

idoco Member

Updated to ver 5.8 a couple days ago. I have aftermarket winter tires with TPMS from TireRack and tried to reset the vehicle to recognize the winter tire TPMS. No luck after several tries that included the recommended driving/time for the TPMS to be recognized.

Thoughts? Anyone else having this problem?

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Zero experience ... but I'd reboot the MCU and try the process over again.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#3 Lloyd, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    Someone needs to ask if the reset is programmed to reset and calibrate just the existing sensors, or if it is able to recognize NEW sensors.

The way I understand that they work, each sensor responds with a unique serial number and relative pressure reading. The recalibration may just reset the existing sensors to a new relative pressure. New sensors may need to still be reset by the service center to recognize a new set of sensors.

4. milotron

milotron Member

I installed a set of Tesla 19" wheels with winter tires a week ago and was enjoying the TPMS errors for the last while. I did the TPMS reset as soon as 5.8 was installed and it worked like a charm. These were OEM Tesla wheels with sensors that had not been 'tuned' to the vehicle before. ( I.E the wheels had never been installed before )

Are aftermarket and OEM TPMS sensors different?

5. AC1K

AC1K Member

how many KM did you drive after you hit the reset button? the book says like 10-20 or something

6. idoco

idoco Member

At least 20-30 miles on several occasions.

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

It works with new sensors (Tire Rack installed). I had them on the 19" Rials I installed and after about 10 miles driving after reset it recognized them.

8. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

#8 Morristhecat, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    It reset for me after only about 3km going about 50km/h with lots of stop signs. Using tire rack tpms's.

9. MacLeodMX

MacLeodMX Member

BBS rims 19" with Michelin x ice 3's. From Tire Rack. Reset TPMS worked on the second attempt.

10. Cal1

Cal1 Member

Don't think this system is this sophisticated, as it can't tell which tire is low. My Honda Ridgeline did work like this and had a display showing which tire was bad.

11. VICE

VICE New Member

Sig #127 S000127 V5.8 21" (Clifford)

I had a a very low tire pressure Warning occur two days ago. Which disappeared after a short time (three seconds. or so) Just to be safe, I pulled over to verify I wasn't running on the rims. Everything seemed OK. So, I went down to the tire store and had the pressures checked. I reset the pressure sensors. I noticed a short time later all connectivity had been lost.

No more 3G and no more wifi. I tried resetting the system several times. Customer service could not locate my car over the 3G.
    I pulled and replaced the two yellow fuses as instructed by the customer service team. Nothing. Customer service seemed to be genuinely surprised that this did not work also commented
    that there should be some sort of service warning.

For now I don't know if the two events are related. Just thought I would post it here in case anyone else has had a similar experience. Service is scheduled for early December.
    I was thinking about checking all the other fuses in the box. Does anyone know if this is dangerous in any way. Will I loose data in any of the systems?

Is it possible, that a low pressure sensor from a neighboring car could trigger a warning on another car?

Vic

12. idoco

idoco Member

Update on TPMS reset. After about a half dozen attempts and a couple hundred miles the warning went away and the TPMS paired with the MS. No idea why it took so long.