Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought I would share that I recently purchased 20” OEM wheels/tires/TPMS from another owner. I installed and the TPMS for the first 50 miles would not reset-kept getting an error. Finally as I was leaving for the service center to have them re calibrate, the sensors kicked in and the software reset the TPMS. Took about 50 miles of driving—hopefully it should be less for you, but thought I would share so peope don’t unnecessarily make a trip to the service center.

From the manual-

After inflating the tire to the recommended pressure, you must drive over 15 mph (25 km/h) for more than 10 minutes to activate the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), which turns off the Tire Pressure indicator light.​

And

After replacing one or more wheels (but not after replacing a tire or rotating wheels), the TPMS sensors are reset to ensure tire pressure warnings are accurate. TPMS sensors reset automatically after driving over 15 mph
(25 km/h) for longer than 10 minutes.​

They also note

If a non-Tesla Service Center repairs or replaces a tire, the tire sensor may not work until Tesla performs the setup procedure.​

From the manual-

After inflating the tire to the recommended pressure, you must drive over 15 mph (25 km/h) for more than 10 minutes to activate the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), which turns off the Tire Pressure indicator light.​

And

After replacing one or more wheels (but not after replacing a tire or rotating wheels), the TPMS sensors are reset to ensure tire pressure warnings are accurate. TPMS sensors reset automatically after driving over 15 mph
(25 km/h) for longer than 10 minutes.​

They also note

If a non-Tesla Service Center repairs or replaces a tire, the tire sensor may not work until Tesla performs the setup procedure.​
Yup, I read the manual as well. Just letting people know it might take more than 10 mins.

My yellow TPMS icon has been constantly lit since i got my car; 2.5 months ago.

Originally the tires where pumped up to 48 psi (hot). I lowered them to 41-42 after a couple of days and that's where they've been. Now that the mornings are colder I keep getting the low pressure warnings (38 to 39 psi).

My yellow TPMS icon has been constantly lit since i got my car; 2.5 months ago.

Originally the tires where pumped up to 48 psi (hot). I lowered them to 41-42 after a couple of days and that's where they've been. Now that the mornings are colder I keep getting the low pressure warnings (38 to 39 psi).

Cold temperatures causing warnings is a known TPMS problem. I don't think I've seen a vehicle that didn't give a warning if the car was started with the wheels turned near their extremes, or a warning in the morning when it's cold.

You should make an appointment at a service center. If your TPMS really has been on for that long, there may be a fault or they may be able to reprogram them (is that still a thing?) for a lower pressure if you prefer not to drive around on rocks.